Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:03 PM

7 posts, read 87,243 times

Advertisements

just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNYGIANTS123Xx View Post
just wondering...
Worst towns for what?

Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Worst towns for what?
on long island

Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
It depends how you define worst.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 AM

I would unfortunately have to say Wyandanch. (part of north bellport i would say is 2nd worst)

There are some really great people from Wyandanch but I can't find anything good about it for the exception of the fact that a LIRR station is there so you can get out of there quicker. Gas Prices are usually cheaper there too. Oh, and they build a lot of low-cost new houses there.

It's just not a nice place to be and I don't even think other 'similar' communities like Roosevelt, Central Islip, Hempstead, Mastic Beach, North Amityville, Brentwood, etc, could even be compared to it because at least those places could support a decent retail/commercial base; while not even a McDonalds could last in Wyandanch. Wyandanch doesn't have any mainstream pharmacies or supermarkets either (except for a Compare Foods supermarket with a very awkward parking lot). The business area of Straight Path reminds me of a ghetto part of NYC with neglected brick storefronts and groups of grown men hanging in front of them in the middle of the business-day.

It also has an illegal immigrant problem. There are some very scary residential areas/blocks in Wyandanch too (especially in the Lake Drive area) where all you see is abandoned boarded up houses, Occupied houses with overgrown lawns and cars parked on the front lawns, empty lots and very neglected streets. It's very depressing and strangely quiet. There are some OK parts of Wyandanch like some blocks around Wyandanch High School, N.26th - N.28th Streets and northeastern section (the neighborhood around where venedia dr. and nicolls rd meets). OUTSIDE of Wyandanch there are some very beautiful areas like Wheatley Heights and the Belmont section of North/West Babylon thats located west of Belmont State Park and south of Wyandanch ave (not including cumberbach/booker/davidson streets which is still wyandanch).

The School District is horrific, I think it's THE bottom school district on the island. Oh, and people(teachers/staff) like to park on the grass/dirt in front of the schools; it looks very tacky.

Crime is horrific there, yesterday according to the news, a man was shot in the foot walking down a street. Within the last few weeks, 2 young people were shot also.

Even though there are working class areas with crime issues (like North Amityville, Roosevelt, Central Islip), I wouldn't consider them to be ghettoes (except for particular sections of them). Wyandanch is one of the very few Long Island communities that I would truly consider to be ghetto to the core and Wyandanch really needs a miracle.

(I live less than a mile away from Wyandanch and have family and friends there so I spend a good amount of time there)

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 05-29-2011 at 05:25 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ng-island.html

Old 05-29-2011, 02:41 PM

thank you. isn't Roosevelt school district just as bad?

Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNYGIANTS123Xx View Post
thank you. isn't Roosevelt school district just as bad?
Roosevelt District is very bad (it's even been taken over by the state). Usually every year it's either Roosevelt, Hempstead or Wyandanch as the #1 most bottom School District on Long Island.

I personally use Graduation Rates as a way to determine how good a School District is. Here is a list of graduation rates (as of 2009) for Nassau&Suffolk Counties;
Graduation rate for LI school districts
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/e...icts-1.1803848

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 05-29-2011 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 04:50 PM

51 posts, read 107,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I went there and the thread was closed. I didn't realize it until I went to post this:
You are worried about someone's feelings getting hurt when they live in an area that someone else perceives as bad? If the person posting substantiates their claim by indicating that they got their information from another website that posts crime rates etc whats the big deal? I used to live in Central Islip and it takes no genius to figure out how that went downhill over the past 30 years. Even if I still lived there I would have no problem telling anyone else. Facts are facts, get over it.

But I guess the person who created it listened to the whiners.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 PM

oh i see. thank you for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island