Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I've never been a fan of Riverhead but I wouldn't say it's one of the top 5 worst areas on Long Island. Parts of it seem kinda "dingy" but not as bad as some places more west. It's very boring too according to one of my friends there which doesn't surprise me.
I think that its being THE MOST DANGEROUS community on long island (even more so than Hempstead) would certainly put it in the top 5!
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Add the link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:42 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,264 times
Wow, i'm shocked that the crime in Riverhead is so high. I never as much crime coming out of there but maybe it's not covered by the news?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:21 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
Quote:
Wow, i'm shocked that the crime in Riverhead is so high. I never as much crime coming out of there but maybe it's not covered by the news?
Remember the news media is owned by the rich elite who dont want people to realize how bad the illegal alien problem in Riverhead really is. Awhile ago Supervisor Sean Walter was taking calls on WLNG and many were complaining about the crime. Quite a few of the callers had their homes broken into multiple times and were on the verge of moving out.
While the addition of the conference center/hotel are good, Riverhead, particularly the areas near downtown have a long way to go. Just drive down Railroad ave...

Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
It might have something to do with its relatively low population. The CDP has 13,299 people living in it, so you only need a few incidents to give it an apparently high crime rate.

I mean, I find it hard to believe that Riverhead is truly more dangerous than Hempstead.

But look at the total crime risk. It has Hempstead at 63, Riverhead at 95, and the US at 100, so that still makes them safer than the average area in the US (which includes a lot of small towns with little to no crime).

I don't know. Those numbers just don't look right. I don't see how Hempstead is safer than Riverhead, and I also don't see how Hempstead can be safer than the US overall. I mean, Pequaman said its crime rate is as high as Crown Heights, Brooklyn, (which is has a higher crime rate than NYC overall, and NYC's crime rate is slightly higher than the nationwide average)

Old 01-01-2012, 11:21 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I'd like to see the hood rats afford my taxes...

When you sell drugs, they can buy and sell you 10 times. . . .

Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
When you sell drugs, they can buy and sell you 10 times. . . .
The whole island is in danger of being overrun by multimillionaire drug kingpins! Run for the hills!

Where do people come up with this nonsense?

Old 01-01-2012, 04:40 PM

398 posts, read 837,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
And the worst part is that there is plenty more where that came from. Check this out: 800 Howard Street, Camden, NJ - Google Maps (a few blocks over from yours)

Even the nicer parts of Camden still look worse than the "bad" towns of Long Island.

It's amazing that in the NYC forum, they are debating over whether Mott Haven and Soundview are safe, and you guys are calling towns that we would easily consider middle class "bad".
Got lost in Camden on the way to a concert at the Tweeter Center. Drove down blocks with boarded up homes, bars on windows, it was a hot day during the summer so a lot of people out in the streets. While it seemed like a sketchy area, I pulled over and asked for directions and the man was very helpful.

I had thoughts of the movie Judgement Night, and knew it was a place I didn't want to be lost and slowly driving through at night.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Got lost in Camden on the way to a concert at the Tweeter Center. Drove down blocks with boarded up homes, bars on windows, it was a hot day during the summer so a lot of people out in the streets. While it seemed like a sketchy area, I pulled over and asked for directions and the man was very helpful.

I had thoughts of the movie Judgement Night, and knew it was a place I didn't want to be lost and slowly driving through at night.
I remember my dad and I had a similar experience, but the area wasn't quite as bad (Bushwick, Brooklyn). We saw a group of people standing around, but they didn't quite look like thugs (they looked more like guys looking for work), and we asked them for directions, and they were very helpful.

We were going to East Williamsburg, which is a very industrial area and the streets seem to just meander aimlessly, so we needed to make sure we were going in the right direction (the guys were on Bushwick Avenue, which is a major street, so it's better than asking the guys hanging around some little side street)

Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,764 times
Quote:

Riverheads crime is high because of the high amount of illegals!

Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 21,923 times
I can clear up the confusion about Riverhead. True, the Immagrent population is very high, but that is not what has made Riverhead crime so high. Immagrents usually keep to themselves when it comes to crime, it's rarely against citizens, usually against each other. But lately in Flanders the Immagrents have been the victims of violent robberies because they carry so much cash, being afraid to keep it in a home where 15 other people live.

The hidden history of Southern laborers that lived in slums and Labor Camps in the county seat before urban renewal placed them in well hidden neighborhoods is the real root of the crime and poverty out East. Yes the media does not report many shootings that have happened over the years. Maybe a one line police report in a local paper, that's it. But the biggest cover up is how the people lived in parts of Riverhead, in deplorable conditions...it was all swept under the rug.

Riverhead is and has always been the poorest town on LI. Also...the most run down and poorest conditions have always been Riverside in Southampton township - which is commonly mistaken for downtown Riverhead. Flanders is also commonly confused with Riverhead. Most people would say where is Flanders? Flanders has had it's fair share of shootings too but never landing Southampton town on the map, or holding the town liable because it could upset the rich Hamptonites. So they push all the poverty towards Riverhead and the school system there. Plus the Suffolk County Jail is there, and that speaks for itself.

But the worst neighborhood in Suffolk was the greens in Riverhead - hands down. On one Corner alone there were several shootings, 4 of them homicides...and that's not the only bad corner in the small neighborhood. Now the neighborhood has gone through changes, but back a few years it was wild west. I count 12 homicides in that neighborhood alone. Many others hit with gunfire. The Fire department would no longer put out structure fires there because they would get pelted with rocks and bottles. In those few years 7 or 8 houses were burned to the ground. Thats not counting assaults against police, robberies, stabbings and dozens arrested at a time in drug stings (about one large sting op per year). Crack cocaine was an epidemic at the time.

Across the river in riverside there is one Tavern that was the series of 8 shootings, and 4 of them were homicides. 12 others injured by gunfire at the same bar. Thats not counting one knife homicide, a full blown riot, vehicular assault and various other violent crimes. The whole area has similar statistics going back to the 1940's when people were living in tin and tarpaper shacks in rows with no running water or electricity, and Kerocene heaters and cheap swill to keep warm.

Both Riverhead and Riverside both have a long history of violent crime and poverty going back to the 1940's. From what news articles i have read i have found over 100 incidences of gunfire. Easily over 200 reports if counting stabbings too, and i'm sure there is allot i did not find. Most people probably will never know but i hope this helps explain some history of the area. All these new online statistic websites are wrong anyways. Better off doing a google news search and use the archives feature in news, search tools. Pulled up some really old newspaper clippings.

Last edited by BeeGhost24; 11-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island