Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 17,056 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My partner and I may be relocating to KY from NYC. She is interviewing for a position in Danville and I will be pursuing a masters degree in Epidemiology, probably at UK??. We are in our mid to late 30's, enjoy art, restaurants, cultural activities, gardening and nature. She is originally from rural Ohio and has lived in big cities for the last 20 years. I am from the North East (Philly, Jersey, NYC). We are wondering what to expect, and where to live between Lexington and Danville. I will have school and she will commute to work in Danville. A big concern is feeling welcome and safe as we are a lesbian couple. We would like to have a yard and space around us to garden. We will rent at first, then buy. Our prices/needs are flexible other than feeling safe and welcome! Any suggestions for towns? Thanks so much! We're looking forward to Kentucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 10:54 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,645 times
I'm thinking Nicholasville would be a good town to start your search. It's between Danville and Lex. Also you might try Versailles(pronounced VER-sales), north of Danville and just west of Lex. Each have there own "feel", but both can offer you a good selection of home options.
I'd also suggest a visit to the area! You can learn so much abut a town/area just by spending a day or two there!
Best of luck and enjoy the journey!

Old 04-11-2017, 01:04 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times

Welcome to the Lexington forum here at city data!

If you are both use to cities you might want to pick Lexington. Although there are tons of cute little towns around the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48sj2pluWs&t=22s

Most of the area in this region are pretty friendly. I agree totally with Ponypulr though - I would highly suggest a visit here first also....that way you can see what towns or areas fit your needs and personality the best.
And whether you live in Lexington or one of the surrounding areas, you will be just minutes away from Great farmers markets, Whole foods, Trader Joe's, Costco and lots of local and original eateries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rShZ5MngoYM&t=16s

Old 04-11-2017, 03:21 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,290,301 times
I think we're a pretty gay friendly town (Lexington), considering we're smack in the Bible Belt. I would definitely visit the area first to get a taste of the communities. Mayor Gray was elected without that being an issue. I would think the the urban areas of the state would be more welcoming, but I really don't know. Nicholasville is probably the biggest town between Danville and Lexington, but it's not exactly in between. Danville is a great little college town (Centre College). US 27 south in Lexington (Nicholasville Road is 4 lane to Nicholasville. Harrodsburg Road (US 68) south takes you through the Kentucky River Palisades and on to Harrodsburg and then Danville. That's probably closer than going through Nicholasville, but it's a 2 lane snake of a road in the section leading down to the Kentucky River. My daughter works at Shakertown (Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill) north of Harrodsburg on US 68 and chose to live in a apartment in the Man O' War-Nicholasville Rd area of Lexington, rather on moving to Danville, Harrodsburg or Nicholasville, and it takes her about 30 minutes to commute daily to work, so it would take probably 45-50 minutes to commute from south Lex to Danville on that route. To get to U.K., either 27 or 68 will get you close to U.K., by just heading north rather than south. Nicholasville Road gets you to the UK Med Center, as well as Central Baptist Hospital.

One other thought. US 127 is a 4 lane limited access road that connects from south to north, Danville, Harrodsburg and Frankfort. I commuted for nearly 30 years as a state employee daily from Lexington to Frankfort. I lived on SE side of Lexington, rather than the SW, and my commute was still less than an hour using Versailles Road (US 60). a 4 lane road between Frankfort and Lexington.

I'm not sure that I've been any help at all, but I hope you find an area that you like when you visit.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 04-11-2017 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-11-2017, 07:42 PM

500 posts, read 635,712 times
LOL @ Versailles. The word is pronounced "ver-sy." But if you are from KY you pronounce it "ver-sales" or even "ver-salies." Danville is a nice little town. I was also fond of Midway.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:54 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback! Loved the videos BTW!

Old 04-12-2017, 05:08 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
LOL @ Versailles. The word is pronounced "ver-sy." But if you are from KY you pronounce it "ver-sales" or even "ver-salies." Danville is a nice little town. I was also fond of Midway.
A friend of mine who is from Versailles claims "We pronounce every letter in it".

Well, not quite, but it's pronounced "VerSAILS" locally. Accent definitely on the last syllable, not the first.

Not "Ver-sy".

Not "Ver-SIGH".

And certainly not "Versalies".

Of all the towns mentioned, I expect you'd find Lexington to be the most comfortable fit. The commute to Danville is four-lane most of the way, and if you look on the south side of Lexington near Nicholasville Road, it would be shortened somewhat.

Good luck finding your place in the Bluegrass!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-17-2017 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 04-12-2017, 06:48 PM

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 PM

500 posts, read 635,712 times
It's Ver-sy. (How is Ver-sigh any different than Ver-sy? Or Ver-Sails any different than Ver-sales?) Versailles is French and has a lot of history behind it. The word is pronounced Ver-sy but not if you are from Kentucky.

Anyways, OP, I also suggest you check out Louisville and compare that city with Lexington.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
It's Ver-sy. (How is Ver-sigh any different than Ver-sy? Or Ver-Sails any different than Ver-sales?) Versailles is French and has a lot of history behind it. The word is pronounced Ver-sy but not if you are from Kentucky.

Anyways, OP, I also suggest you check out Louisville and compare that city with Lexington.
Totally agree. Maybe best is Shelbyville, that way you get the best of both worlds? Lexington is also pretty gay friendly, but mainly closer to downtown. The gay capital of KY is by far Louisville (Louisville is one of the gayest cities in the USA, in fact). KY gets a bad rap but it is very accepting. Danville is also a cute but very small town. Lexington is a very picturesque town and better if you want more of a genteel southern college town vibe. It is also well educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area