Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:37 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times

Advertisements

I cited the "Ver-SAILS" pronunciation in reference to my anecdote about a native's claim that all the letters in "Versailles" are pronounced, which is not quite correct. I deliberately omitted the second "l" and final "e" to point this out, not to contradict your "Ver-sales" example, which of course is pronounced, if not spelled, identically to "Ver-sails".

If I see "Ver-sy", I'm going to automatically read it at "Versee" , rhyming with "mercy", not "Ver-sigh".

In any case, neither is correct when speaking of Versailles, Kentucky. That we can all agree on.

Louisville is a lovely town but would be a very long commute to Danville. Ditto Shelbyville. I'd suggest staying in the Inner Bluegrass, to shorten drive time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 17,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Totally agree. Maybe best is Shelbyville, that way you get the best of both worlds? Lexington is also pretty gay friendly, but mainly closer to downtown. The gay capital of KY is by far Louisville (Louisville is one of the gayest cities in the USA, in fact). KY gets a bad rap but it is very accepting. Danville is also a cute but very small town. Lexington is a very picturesque town and better if you want more of a genteel southern college town vibe. It is also well educated.
I will look into Shelbyville! Thanks. Yes, we're wondering how friendly it is compared to the bigger and farther, Louisville. It looks great in Lexington but we don't know how progressive the mindset is there and we don't want to feel unwelcome. I will check out Shelbyville now. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:41 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,645 times
As Mr. Creek said, Shelbyville is a bit of a hike from Danville. I'd also like to think that Lex would be as progressive as Shelbyville, if not more.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:19 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publichealthprofessional View Post
I will look into Shelbyville! Thanks. Yes, we're wondering how friendly it is compared to the bigger and farther, Louisville. It looks great in Lexington but we don't know how progressive the mindset is there and we don't want to feel unwelcome. I will check out Shelbyville now. Thanks for the feedback.
Lexington has a pretty Liberal and Progressive mindset. (Although Kentucky is a Red state - Lexington and Louisville are more liberal and usually go for the more Progressive Political choices.) Lexington's mayor is openly gay and it didn't stop him from being elected - or being re-elected the last time by a huge majority.
The last election - although Kentucky is a very red state overall -Lexington (and Louisville) were colored blue. Frankfort too. I am pretty sure overall Lexington would be a whole lot more progressive than
Shelbyville!

Louisville is a great city, but that would be one heck of a commute. (My husband accepted a job at
Toyota back when we lived in Louisville and commuted back and forth everyday for the first few weeks till we could relocate - he spent like 4 hours a day - or twenty hours a week driving!!!!! He was miserable.)
Luckily we were able to arrange the move within the month.

A friend of mine was telling me that Lexington has at least three gay bars that she knew of and I found this.
Lexington Bar Guide: A gay old time | Lexington Herald Leader

I am sure it's nothing as progressive as around NYC but I think Lexington seems pretty progressive in this area, at least by general Kentucky standards. Louisville has a lot - but then they are less than a 2 hour drive away.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
It's Ver-sy. (How is Ver-sigh any different than Ver-sy? Or Ver-Sails any different than Ver-sales?) Versailles is French and has a lot of history behind it. The word is pronounced Ver-sy but not if you are from Kentucky.

Anyways, OP, I also suggest you check out Louisville and compare that city with Lexington.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Totally agree. Maybe best is Shelbyville, that way you get the best of both worlds? Lexington is also pretty gay friendly, but mainly closer to downtown. The gay capital of KY is by far Louisville (Louisville is one of the gayest cities in the USA, in fact). KY gets a bad rap but it is very accepting. Danville is also a cute but very small town. Lexington is a very picturesque town and better if you want more of a genteel southern college town vibe. It is also well educated.
If the plan is for her to attend school at the University of Kentucky and her partner to work in Danville, the commute from Louisville or Shelbyville will be a rather inconvenient commute. The Louisville area is lovely but a reasonable commute is a major quality of life factor for most people. There is no reason for her partner to accept a minimum 1 1/2 hour commute each way from Louisville to Danville when there are places nearer that meet their needs.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publichealthprofessional View Post
Lexington will be a fine fit for you and definitely the commute from either Louisville or Shelbyville (which is no more progressive than Danville) would not be worth the difference, if any. Lexington is pretty darn accepting about many of its residents various quirks and has a fairly robust lesbian community. Most people who move to Lexington end up falling in love with it.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:12 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,278 times
You could also look at Paris. Or do they call that Paireee?

Old 02-17-2018, 09:59 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
You could also look at Paris. Or do they call that Paireee?
, good one. But Paris is on the wrong side of Lexington for commuting to Danville.

(For those amused by such things, check out the Kentucky pronunciations of Athens, Ghent, Cuba, and Yosemite).

Old 05-29-2019, 06:35 PM

124 posts, read 108,380 times
I moved from Lexington 13 years ago and miss it so. It is good to hear it's a tad bit more accepting of the LGBT as compared to when I was there. Most everyone I knew, including myself, who are gay were on the DL....

I have been considering moving back east and I will have to consider adding Lexington (or, Louisville) to the list for a look see...

TD

Old 06-09-2019, 01:20 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Dreamer View Post
I moved from Lexington 13 years ago and miss it so. It is good to hear it's a tad bit more accepting of the LGBT as compared to when I was there. Most everyone I knew, including myself, who are gay were on the DL....

I have been considering moving back east and I will have to consider adding Lexington (or, Louisville) to the list for a look see...

TD
I second that - I'm glad to hear it's more accepting. There were a few minutes about a decade back when I considered Lexington. My then-best friend and her husband were looking to move there from the SF Bay Area to spread out, get some land, save a ton of money, and indulge her love of horses - especially the plastic collectible kind which to my surprise, is apparently is a thing and when we visited, there was a huge plastic horse convention going on. I thought about following them and relocating there... but I struggled there. It was - and still is - the only place in the US where I've ever randomly got called "f****t" as I walked on a street, by people driving by (I think it was a carful of U-KY students). I also experienced walking in a door of a gay bar and having the regulars chew me out for entering via the front door (instead of a hidden back door) because the bar was across the street from the city police department and supposedly the cops were watching people going in and out. I added it up and decided I wasn't comfortable in that sort of atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area