Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 05:38 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times

Advertisements

Lina, I'm so glad that you'll be visiting. There are numerous volunteering opportunities here including the larger national organizations like Lions, Kiwanis (sp?), Habitat for Humanity, as well as the Good Samaritan organization, Four Paws Pantry, and several animal rescue groups are active also. We also have a volunteer fire department and first responders, TBART boater assistance group, several organizations that adopt local school classes for backpacks and groups that help supply Christmas gifts to needy families. I've probably missed about a dozen more.

If you don't feel like it's too "weird", I'd be happy to hook up with you for lunch or an ice tea or beer at the clubhouse Thursday and I can give you a map of TV and the amenities. Just PM me if you want. I love where we've landed and I enjoy sharing it. When we visited we had so many questions but only a realtor to talk to about it. We didn't want to get a realtor's biased perspective and we were too shy to start asking strangers all our dumb questions. Let me know though, because it's going to be a nice day and we are hoping to get out on the water that day too. If I don't see you, have a good visit and feel free to PM me any questions.

Last edited by TheShadow; 07-14-2014 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 PM

72 posts, read 167,678 times
Hi, Creeksitter and Shadow! Looks like we will be missing the cooler weather in Knoxville on Thursday. My husband wants to go home through Mississippi and Alabama instead of Tennessee. In other words, the short route. I will PM you, Shadow, and let you know when we will be in the Loudon area a little later this summer. If you are home perhaps we could meet you someplace for a drink after dinner. I would love to have that map of TV before we drive down through the neighborhood on our way home! I don't think your offer of meeting is weird at all and we can use all the help we can get. I am so encouraged by everything you have written and am really looking forward to seeing the village and the lake for myself. I spent a few minutes this morning checking out available real estate and was happy to find some townhouses that looked very interesting. We no longer enjoy taking care of a big yard. The property taxes and POA fees seem very reasonable to us after living for years in the Chicago area. Very, very reasonable! I miss our kids, but I sure don't miss living in Chicago. Later.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:48 AM

8 posts, read 9,264 times
Default TV Tour

Hi. Talked to Beth in marketing and the better half and I will be doing the TV Day Discovery Tour this Saturday. Will be at the Tanasi Clubhouse at 10 am and meet with a gentleman whose initials are TG, then meet with a realtor at 1.

Would love to meet and talk with anybody living in the area. Could use some pointers.

Thanks, Art

Old 12-04-2014, 11:21 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Friday should be a nice day, but chance ?? of rain on Saturday, the the temps will be a little lower Saturday. Hope you have a good time!

Old 12-04-2014, 02:58 PM

284 posts, read 362,352 times
My husband and I did the Discovery Package a month ago and I have to tell you that we were very impressed with Tellico Village. We're just starting our quest to find a retirement locale and I think Tellico Village will be a top contender. My husband came away saying that after visiting, there are now things on his "list" that he never knew were on his list. It really does have a lot to offer, for what we envision anyway.

We met friendly people most everywhere we went and thoroughly enjoyed the bar and restaurant at the Yacht Club. We hope to come back in the summer, so that we can spend time on the water. I hope you all enjoy your visit! Please post a review.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Wife and I are close to retirement and want to have a active and social lifestyle when I kiss the corporate rat race goodbye. A place that offers tennis, pickle ball, swimming pools, badminton, vollyball, softball, hiking trails, exercise center, pinochle/hearts/spades with friends, maybe even flag football if they have it (never seen it yet at any retirement community). Not much interest in golf... seems boring... don't see what the attraction is.

We used to live in Scottsdale/Anthem AZ and liked it, so we were originally looking at Sun City (and all its derivatives). Weather there is nice except for the few months where it wants to stay over 100 until midnight. But hey, it's a dry heat. Then again, so is an oven.

However their extended drought has really got us worried, and Sun City et al is slowly converting all their landscaping over from lawns to xeriscaping... and having lived in the Evergreen State we really like the green grass, trees, mountains, etc.

So we started looking at Florida. Used to live in Vero Beach so we are familiar with the area. Looked hard at The Villages for awhile, really beautiful, but it seemed rather expensive and overpriced. And the lakes all had over sized lizards that want to eat your dog. Also the weather there is 4H. Hot, Hotter, Humid and Hurricane.

Back to the drawing board. Did a search on Google for retirement communities. After a little digging I found Tellico Village. We know all about TN having lived there before (Nashville) and currently (Bristol). No state income tax, ultra low vehicle fees, HCP recognized in 80% of the states, decent four season weather (IOW, not much if any snow), trees, mountains, greenery, hiking in the Smokey Mountains, and with Tellico Village a lake you can actually swim in without losing your life. Also there is the lure of boating, and I have always wanted to sail. Seems like it would be relaxing. And I've ridden before, so having great rides in the area is a plus. Although at my age it may be a tricycle <grin>. The Can Am Spyder RT's look nice.

Looking forward to the visit.

And if anybody knows of another place that may fit the bill, please chime in. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-05-2014, 07:13 AM

Naota, TV may be a good fit for you. Sailing is not big here though. Pontoons, runabouts, cabin cruisers, bass boats, all abound here, but sailing is not good on this lake. First, there is just not enough wind (according to our sailboat-owning friends) and the lake is narrow, so tacking back and forth is necessary when there is wind. So maybe a pontoon or deckboat would suit you??

Old 12-05-2014, 07:55 AM

Another dream smashed on the rocks of reality. Of course, I could not have sailed in The Villages or Sun City either... guess I'll have to start looking at something powered by anything but wind.

Kayaking maybe? Pedal boat!

Thanks for the reply Shadow. If anybody knows, TheShadow knows.

I think I read that you are from the Sacto area? I'm from the Atwater area.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:29 AM

Yes lived in the Sacto area most of my life. How did you like your tour of the village? It's not the prettiest time of year here, but in the spring/summer/fall it's gorgeous.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Loved it. Thinking about putting together my thoughts in a different loooong post so i can do the review justice. Probably a review comparing what I have found out regarding Sun City vs The Villages and Tellico Village. I will be on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville