Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,755 times

Advertisements

A signature food like Philly cheese steak, New England clam chowder, Texas barbecue, New York/Chicago pizza, etc. The Kentucky Fried Chicken thing is just a catchy name for Col. Sanders' franchises, right? Or is fried chicken a specialty of Kentucky?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 06:48 PM

79 posts, read 416,799 times
Derby pie is a Louisville food along with the mint juleps. Kentucky Fried Chicken is owned by YUM! Foods, they are headquartered in Louisville and also own Taco Bell, A&W burger places, Long John Silver and I believe a few others. Papa John is also headquartered in Louisville.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:17 PM

69 posts, read 208,030 times
I think people associate fried chicken with Kentucky just because of KFC. I do make some amazing fried chicken, though! hahahaha.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
You know, even before we moved to Ky thirty years ago, I thought the signature food was soupbeans and cornbread..No matter where in the state I visit a Cracker Barrell, soup beans and corn bread seem to be favorites. It is probably pretty close to tops among the older generation here.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:12 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,316,239 times
Yes, Kentucky has several "signature" foods. Owensboro area has barbeque mutton, while several towns have great bbq pork or chicken, but my favorite which most people have heard of but never really eaten is burgoo. Cornbread and beans is an old staple, and no thoughts of good food can overlook country ham.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:42 AM

891 posts, read 3,054,096 times
My two favorites are fried bannana peppers and beer cheese.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:47 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,187 times
Guys, how in the world did you overlook the Hot Brown! It's terrific!

It's a hot, open-faced turkey sandwich on toasted bread with tomatoes and bacon, covered with a cheese sauce. It's called a Hot Brown because it was invented at the famous Brown Hotel.

Also, the cheeseburger was allegedly developed here, but I think every state claims that.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:52 AM

688 posts, read 3,039,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
No matter where in the state I visit a Cracker Barrell, soup beans and corn bread seem to be favorites. It is probably pretty close to tops among the older generation here.

Ok, blue, I have to ask - what exactly are "soup beans" - is it a bean soup? That is one thing I haven't encountered before.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:20 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Ok, blue, I have to ask - what exactly are "soup beans" - is it a bean soup? That is one thing I haven't encountered before.
I didn't know myself when I first came here. Soup beans is just a pot of pinto beans, soaked overnight and cooked all day with salt, pepper and maybe some bacon or ham for seasoning. They used to tease me ,because the only kind of beans I had ever eaten were called great northern. Also the cornbread here is always made with white cornmeal, and buttermilk. You acquire a taste for it after awhile. I never could make it like they do here. I still make sweet cornbread with yellow meal, sugar and an egg. The women here are excellent cooks!!Church dinners are heavenly

Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 AM

283 posts, read 1,026,438 times
This is a great conversation

I love beans of all types, so I will definitely like soup beans. (My husband might be another story )

When I saw the first post of this thread I was sure that everyone would say "fried chicken". We have a few KFC's here in Iowa and surrounding areas, but nothing like the number of them that we saw when we visited. First thing I told the kids was "Wait until you see all the KFC's!" (Their eyes lit up, LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky