Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 04:58 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times

Advertisements

In preparation for our trip, I'd like to know which playgrounds to take our child child when we get there. I'd appreciate the best ones in each city and where exactly they are located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 06:00 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,454 times
In Lexington, I would recommend Jacobson Park, which is out on Richmond Rd, just south of Man O War. It has a big wooden "creative playground" that is great for the younger kids, with swinging bridges, castle towers, secret hiding spots, and lots of climbing room. Jacobson also has a large lake where you can fish or even rent paddle boats in the summer, and there are always lots of ducks to feed! There are also some great grassy hills that are perfect for playing frisbee or flying a kite.

Shillito Park also has a creative playground and is right off of Nicholasville Rd. It is closer to midtown but doesn't have the same expansive environment and lake that Jacobson offers.

Near the Chevy Chase area is Woodland Park, which is nestled right in the midst of several older neigborhoods between campus and downtown. There are frequently art fairs and festivals here, as well as one of the city's public pools. The playground isn't as fun as the creative playgrounds, but it is a nice place to stop and take in the neighborhood - lots of mature trees and space to run. There is also a skateboard park on the premises.

Downtown, between Vine and Main St at Broadway, is Triangle Park. It is small but really nice with a beautiful large fountain that wraps around the perimeter. There are no formal playgrounds, but it is a great place for families to stop while walking around downtown. Kids are fascinated by the fountain, and it is nice at twilight when the lights are turned on. In the summer, there are often street musicians here.

Finally, just south of UK's campus is the UK Arboretum, which also doesn't have formal playgrounds but has a long walking/jogging trail through different themed gardens (including a children's garden). The trails are actually accessible from the Glendover and Tahoma neighborhoods, which back up to it.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
In preparation for our trip, I'd like to know which playgrounds to take our child child when we get there. I'd appreciate the best ones in each city and where exactly they are located.
To my knowledge, one of the best ones in Louisville is at our acclaimed Waterfront Park. The location is around 1200 River Road, right before you get to Tumbleweed Restaurant.

Here is a map of the park:

http://www.louisvillewaterfront.com/Maps/2006%20detailed%20park%20map.pdf (broken link)

There are several play areas, but I think the best one is the one called "Adventure Playground." It is a beautiful setting right on the river downtown.

Of course there are dozens of playgrounds and hundreds of parks in the city to explore. If I was going to explore another park, it would be Cherokee Park. Make sure you see the mansions on Cherokee Road facing the park and some of the condo towers around 1400 Willow Ave. That is my favorite area of the city.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,937 times
Default more options

A couple of other family friendly things to check out:
Ravens Run - Take Richmond Rd east and turn, across from Jacobson Park, onto Old Richmond Rd. Look for Jacks Creek Pike on the right (there is a small country grocery store on the corner). Go approx. 2-3 miles. Ravens Run is a nature sanctuary and has many hiking trails (I think it's around 54 miles of paths). One of them takes you to a scenic overlook to the Ky River.

If you have a rainy day and need indoor activities:
The Living Arts and Science Center-on Martin Luther King Blvd.
The Explorium (fka Lexington Children's Museum) In Victorian Square between Main and Short St's.
Kids Place - past Fayette Mall on Nicholsville Rd.
Gatty Town - Nicholasville Rd close to New Circle (next door to K-Mart)

Old 04-30-2007, 04:24 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Good idea, Lexingtongal. In Louisville, you will want to check out our "museum row." If you have a son, it is imperative you go to the Louisville Slugger Museum. You get to see them make bats and they even give you a small one to take home. My nephew is 6 and loves it there! I would also try the Louisville Science Center and Imax.

Sometimes they have family stuff here during the day on weekends:

http://www.4thstlive.com/index.cfm

But beware that after dark it is not family friendly as it is one of the main nightlife areas in the city.

You already know about Waterfront Park. All the aforementioned stuff is downtown. Next, you will want to check out Bardstown Road and Frankfurt Ave. You will find alll kinds of people on Bardstown Road, and you may even bump into "hip" young couples with kids. If you want a feel for an upscale inner ring suburb, drive around the area near Mall St Matthews.

If I was you, I would probably also check out the river road area as you head out towards Prospect, which is one of the wealthiest suburban cities in KY (along with Glenview, which is secluded 1920s era mansions sitting on river bluffs around Glenview Ave.)

Old 04-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions. I can't wait to visit!!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions. I can't wait to visit!! And we have a girly, girl so no Slugger Museum for us, but she does like Science Museums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky