Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,456,354 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard any bad news about Kentucky's air quality. Is no news good news? We have been considering a move to NC, but have recently learned that the pollen there is terrible for asthma sufferers. My husband has terrible asthma, and we really want to go somewhere that would allow him to breathe better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 12:39 AM

7,074 posts, read 16,775,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I haven't heard any bad news about Kentucky's air quality. Is no news good news? We have been considering a move to NC, but have recently learned that the pollen there is terrible for asthma sufferers. My husband has terrible asthma, and we really want to go somewhere that would allow him to breathe better!
Well, it has recently been brought to my attention that KY has some of these same problems, especially near factories in urban areas. I don't think the pollen is as bad in KY as it is in NC, but I would have to look that up. As a general rule, pollen counts are higher longer the further south you go, but there are many exceptions. The Ohio Valley where Louisville is has recently been noted for some air quality problems, but it is nothing like one would see in S. California or other larger urban areas like Chicago. Louisville ranked 21 out of the largest cities for air quality, and that is not great considering it is the 42nd largest metro. Still, I have lived in Louisville for awhile and if you stay away from the factories you should be OK. I think more rural areas do not have the same problem but they do hjave lots of pollen with all the nature. I think both states (KY and NC) have decent air quality away from factories in the bigger cities like Charlotte and Louisville.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:03 AM

283 posts, read 1,027,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
What are his asthma triggers? For most people allergens like pollen are triggers so I'm assuming the same is true in your case. KY is known to be, in general, an area where pollen and other plant-type allergens are high. As stx said, that's just a general fact about the state and it's going to vary according to where in KY you live. I don't know the area well enough to tell you what would be good or not as good, but I would suggest that before you pick an area in KY that you are interested in, do a lot of research on the level of allergens and air pollution in that area. Hope this helps a little.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:29 PM

341 posts, read 1,488,343 times
KY was ranked over the last 5 years as 3rd worst in the country for anyone with allergies and asthma. We're leaving because of it. The Louisville area has what scientists refer to as swamp air. It's down in a valley & lots of moisture trapping pollutants and allergins. You can literally see the haze every single day.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:34 PM

7,074 posts, read 16,775,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
KY was ranked over the last 5 years as 3rd worst in the country for anyone with allergies and asthma. We're leaving because of it. The Louisville area has what scientists refer to as swamp air. It's down in a valley & lots of moisture trapping pollutants and allergins. You can literally see the haze every single day.
hhmmmm. I am looking outside right now and there is no haze! I think that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but yes, pollen is higher in the south. Louisville also has some problems with peak particle levels especially in the summer, when they usually issue Ozone Action Days.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 PM

341 posts, read 1,488,343 times
In 8 years I have only witnessed the air clear twice. Twice! That was after VERY SEVERE tornadic weather & winds. After living out west where the skies are torquoise blue vs (pale here) & air's so crystal clear..this is definitely hazey. Today we went to Common Wealth Ear Nose & Throat and the doctor joked he'd never leave Louisville KY because he'd have nothing to do. The weatherman commonly uses the term 'stagnant' air all summer. Anyone with health issue should seriously look into the situation. People who've never lived elsewhere may fair better. In March I took a friend to Florida & she'd never been beyond Tennessee. She was shocked by the clear air & darker blue skies. Driving back we began dropping down in altitude and back into the haze. By Nashville it was full on. By KY we were both plugged up. We were told today with our asthmatic/allergy riddled son to move. We put our bids in with UPS an hour ago to go

Old 04-25-2007, 05:47 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,071,293 times
Most downtown or factory/traffic intense cities or areas are going to have smog and downtown Louisville is no exception. However, look at places like Pewee Valley, Goshen and other places that are no more than 20-30 minutes from down town and you will find some very good air quality....here is a link.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/Neighborhoods (broken link)

Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 PM

80 posts, read 400,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
In 8 years I have only witnessed the air clear twice. Twice! That was after VERY SEVERE tornadic weather & winds. After living out west where the skies are torquoise blue vs (pale here) & air's so crystal clear..this is definitely hazey. Today we went to Common Wealth Ear Nose & Throat and the doctor joked he'd never leave Louisville KY because he'd have nothing to do. The weatherman commonly uses the term 'stagnant' air all summer. Anyone with health issue should seriously look into the situation. People who've never lived elsewhere may fair better. In March I took a friend to Florida & she'd never been beyond Tennessee. She was shocked by the clear air & darker blue skies. Driving back we began dropping down in altitude and back into the haze. By Nashville it was full on. By KY we were both plugged up. We were told today with our asthmatic/allergy riddled son to move. We put our bids in with UPS an hour ago to go
I know exactly what you mean. Whenever we go on vacation to the ocean, we never have any breathing problems. But, once we gat back home in KY, we go right back to being stopped up. There's just no breaze to take away all the allergens.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,456,354 times
Well, we currently live in Arizona, where the air is horrible. But, it sounds like the air in KY is just as terrible. We were thinking of moving to Oldham county, but my husband would most likely need to work right in the city. Thank you for all the information.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 PM

5,775 posts, read 11,412,414 times
I live in southern california, in the southern part of Orange County. We escape some of the bad smog of Los Angeles and the inland areas, but there is still plenty of smog at times depending on wind directionsor lack of wind. I've been around most parts of this country and would like to find a nice retirement spot in 3 years or so. One criteria on my list is fairly clean air, certainly better than where I am now. I spent some time looking around KY and TN, including Louisville. KY and Ohio River Valley have LOTS of coal fired power plants, which result in fine particle pollution. It's not necessarily as visible as the smog so common in Southern California, but it's certainly there. Here's an interesting non profit link about coal fired power plants:

http://www.cleartheair.org/dirtypower/map.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky