Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:16 PM

341 posts, read 1,489,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Well, we currently live in Arizona, where the air is horrible. But, it sounds like the air in KY is just as terrible. We were thinking of moving to Oldham county, but my husband would most likely need to work right in the city. Thank you for all the information.
We moved here from Phoenix. I'd kill for THAT terrible type air!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 11:46 PM

7,078 posts, read 16,796,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I live in southern california, in the southern part of Orange County. We escape some of the bad smog of Los Angeles and the inland areas, but there is still plenty of smog at times depending on wind directionsor lack of wind. I've been around most parts of this country and would like to find a nice retirement spot in 3 years or so. One criteria on my list is fairly clean air, certainly better than where I am now. I spent some time looking around KY and TN, including Louisville. KY and Ohio River Valley have LOTS of coal fired power plants, which result in fine particle pollution. It's not necessarily as visible as the smog so common in Southern California, but it's certainly there. Here's an interesting non profit link about coal fired power plants:

http://www.cleartheair.org/dirtypower/map.html (broken link)
This is a pet peeve of mine, but people have a tendency to believe everything they read or see. Well, you have to be especially carefully with what you get on the internet. A red flag is when an organization has an agenda.

I am not saying your info is incorrect. But I also would not trust it. Also, it is best to find an authoritative source, and then compare it to other sources. It is imperitave that they do not have bias.

The non biases authority on air quality is the EPA. If we are talking air pollution, you can see that Louisville has far less of it than Phoenix or anywhere in S. California. Therefore, this is where you should go for data:

http://www.epa.gov/airtrends/factbook.html

I am a stickler for this since I am a scientist, but few people understand the setup of a scientific study and how many are biased. This site will also show you what particles are pullutants, tell you why, and tell you where, when, and how they collected the data! OK OK, the average person doesn't like this kind of jazz, but if you want REAL data, its what you need to do!

Louisville does not have the best air quality. No decent sized city does. However, in most cases, especially away from poorer areas that are by factories (where I would not direct you to live), the city has few problems with air outside the norm for a city its size.

Here is another fun resource where you can see data for your area and does not takemuch interpretation. Compare two areas you are thinking about moving to and be sure you take careful note of each polluntant, the site where it was collected, and the ordinates on the graphs:

http://www.epa.gov/air/airtrends/where.html

Now, you need to know how to interpret the data too. You can't just pull out random facts, it would be like taking what someone said out of context. The key with the EPA is their studies are scientific, non-biased, and has a clear method they use for collecting data that they allow you to see. Also, they describe how the data is collected.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:18 AM

283 posts, read 1,028,402 times
I agree with you stx about the issue of scientific studies and how many people misinterpret information. I am a scientist too, and conduct studies for a living (asthma and air quality studies are a focus of mine, in fact).

I would agree that most cities the size of Louisville have air quality issues. I do think there can be significant differences in the air quality between cities of this similar size, depending on atmospheric condition/weather patterns, geography, and location of industry. I do not necessarily agree with you that you can avoid the air quality issues just by living away from factories, however. It's been shown (research studies) that people are exposed to air pollution that is generated in other areas of the city, depending on air patterns etc. It is hard to escape it entirely although it can be better in certain areas of a city compared to others.

I don't know the research on Louisville in particular, so I'm just stating general facts here. I have heard that Louisville's levels are higher than average for a city of its size (again, I haven't read the EPA reports myself), due in part to the geographical layout of the land.

For some people (myself included, since I'm not asthmatic) I'm not sure this would be a huge issue. Certainly it's better than it is in many large cities where, obviously, a lot of people manage to live just fine. However, for people with asthma it can be life-threatening and if I had a child or spouse with asthma (and I do), I'd be researching it to death and asking a lot of questions too.

Last edited by ic-epi; 04-26-2007 at 05:26 AM..

Old 04-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Air

150 posts, read 538,694 times
I am trying to show you a satellite photo of air pollution, but I can't get the paste function to work to link you to the site.

So if you go to www.newscientist.com and search for world's pollution hotspots and then enlarge the picture on the right, you will find it.

Sorry, maybe someone else can do it for me. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Air

150 posts, read 538,694 times
[url="http://www.newscientist.com/search.ns?doSearch=true&query=world%27s+pollution+ hotspots"]

Does that work?

Old 04-26-2007, 12:47 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,459,911 times
Wow stx12499, I keep trying to give you reputation for your fantastic posts, but I have to spread it around first! Thank you so much for this information, it's nice to hear from someone with a scientific perspective.

Air, I found the image. Amazing!

ic-epi, would you mind telling me where you live? I'm curious! A woman in our neighborhood with asthma moved here and died within weeks. She had an attack after years and years without any symptoms. I'm now very interested in finding a place with clean air.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:51 PM

7,078 posts, read 16,796,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
I agree with you stx about the issue of scientific studies and how many people misinterpret information. I am a scientist too, and conduct studies for a living (asthma and air quality studies are a focus of mine, in fact).

I would agree that most cities the size of Louisville have air quality issues. I do think there can be significant differences in the air quality between cities of this similar size, depending on atmospheric condition/weather patterns, geography, and location of industry. I do not necessarily agree with you that you can avoid the air quality issues just by living away from factories, however. It's been shown (research studies) that people are exposed to air pollution that is generated in other areas of the city, depending on air patterns etc. It is hard to escape it entirely although it can be better in certain areas of a city compared to others.

I don't know the research on Louisville in particular, so I'm just stating general facts here. I have heard that Louisville's levels are higher than average for a city of its size (again, I haven't read the EPA reports myself), due in part to the geographical layout of the land.

For some people (myself included, since I'm not asthmatic) I'm not sure this would be a huge issue. Certainly it's better than it is in many large cities where, obviously, a lot of people manage to live just fine. However, for people with asthma it can be life-threatening and if I had a child or spouse with asthma (and I do), I'd be researching it to death and asking a lot of questions too.
Good points. I am sure you also know that pollutants are FAR from the only thing that contributes to allergies. Anywhere in the south has higher pollen counts for longer usually. There are just so many factors. I do not work with air quality (I am in the medical field), but I do now what good, randomized studies are and how to use the scientific method.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Wow stx12499, I keep trying to give you reputation for your fantastic posts, but I have to spread it around first! Thank you so much for this information, it's nice to hear from someone with a scientific perspective.

Air, I found the image. Amazing!

ic-epi, would you mind telling me where you live? I'm curious! A woman in our neighborhood with asthma moved here and died within weeks. She had an attack after years and years without any symptoms. I'm now very interested in finding a place with clean air.
I live in Iowa City, Iowa. (But am moving to Lexington in July). That's a very sad story about the woman with asthma. Especially since it is preventable. But moving to a new place might very well mean all new asthma triggers, and the need for completely revamping the asthma care plan/medications.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Good points. I am sure you also know that pollutants are FAR from the only thing that contributes to allergies. Anywhere in the south has higher pollen counts for longer usually. There are just so many factors. I do not work with air quality (I am in the medical field), but I do now what good, randomized studies are and how to use the scientific method.
Yes, air pollutants are just one asthma trigger, but unfortunately it's a hard one to control. I'm a health care professional and also have a research degree in epidemiology. So, we do a lot of large database and population-based studies (as well as some community based randomized intervention studies). That knowledge really does help interpret the multitude of info on the internet, I agree with you!

I've learned time and time again that sometimes too much information is not a good thing

Old 05-02-2007, 11:57 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,439,653 times
I've learned time and time again that sometimes too much information is not a good thing

LOL! It can literally drive someone mad!!! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky