Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,119,055 times

Advertisements

Why are threads upholding Kentuckians and their values closed?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,915,350 times
So many posts from one-time only "members" in this thread - wonder if they ever made the move to Kentucky??

For those newcomers who have arrived here and are still learning about their new Kentucky homes, a small but potentially life-saving piece of advice, particularly for those newly arrived in the Bluegrass:

Many public rural roads in the beautiful Bluegrass are very old. They are paved, and quite safe - if you just don't drive as if you're on the Interstate. Our country are narrow - they date back to horse and buggy days. They were not originally designed for cars and trucks, and many of them lack center lines.

So - when driving on these lovely but narrow tree and stone-fence-lined country roads, take it easy. And when you see another vehicle approaching, slow down! Pull over to the right as far as you can safely do, then pass the oncoming vehicle at a moderate pace. Wave to the other driver if you like - it's the friendly thing to do around here. But even if you don't see the point of waving, please do pull over to the right so the oncoming vehicle can safely pass. This is especially important if you drive a larger vehicle like an SUV or pickup truck (in my experience, SUV drivers are far worse offenders in this regard than are pickup truck drivers).

Just don't take your half of the road down the middle so that oncoming traffic has to take to the ditch, or fly down narrow country roads at full speed, even if the limit is 55 mph. Our scenic country roads often include hills, curves and blind spots. So slow down, be aware of other drivers - don't tailgate, either - enjoy the scenery from your peripheral vision and live and let live.

Literally.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,022 times
We are relocating from upstate NY (country area, not a city) to Kentucky. We vacationed a few weeks ago in Shelbyville, KY and loved it there. We at first looked into the Bardstown/Elizabethtown area and just randomly picked Shelbyville because of a camping site there. We actually found Bardstown to be too big of a "small town" for us, too busy. Awesome place to visit, very clean but we were looking for more small town, out in the country area. We actually found that in Shelbyville! I'm interested in hearing from anyone that lives there or in the areas right around it. I remember seeing signs for Eminence, Waddy, Simpsonville, Taylorsville also I think. We really are interested in the school areas from a personal experience there. We have 2 boys aged 6 and 8 and one is special needs. Also a good children's hospital would be next on our list to find.

-Where you are working : my fiance works in a brewery/factory out here in NY. He can work for any of the distillery's in the area or any factory really. We visited Limestone, Maker's Mark and Jim Beam distillery and he qualifies for any distillery job. Pay rate seemed very good out there for that type of work.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: we are just looking for something small. Preferably a mobile home or the best would be a mobile home on just an acre of land or at least a large yard. We'd like to stay out of a trailer park but would be willing to start in one to work ourselves onto our own property. Out here in NY we have NO yard, just a square and we rent 1/2 house. We NEED space for our little ones to run around! We would love to rent a mobile home or house or rent to own any property.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: my fiance commutes out an hour now and in Shelbyville area it's about an hour out to a couple distilleries. Probably not any more that a little over an hour.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? 2 boys 6 and 8. We would LOVE to get them into a private church school. We know there are grants out there that could help us. If not possible, a good public school. My youngest is special needs and is slower so a smaller school that pays more attention to their students would be best for us.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?: Definitely small town community. Where we live now there are Mennonites and farms everywhere. We prefer to be out in the same country area. We don't mind being in a small mobile home and having no neighbors or taking the time to drive to what we need. Country living is what we're looking for!

-Pie or cake?: both!!

Last edited by shedevilgrrl88; 05-07-2014 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 11:11 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,762,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedevilgrrl88 View Post
We are relocating from upstate NY (country area, not a city) to Kentucky. We vacationed a few weeks ago in Shelbyville, KY and loved it there. We at first looked into the Bardstown/Elizabethtown area and just randomly picked Shelbyville because of a camping site there. We actually found Bardstown to be too big of a "small town" for us, too busy. Awesome place to visit, very clean but we were looking for more small town, out in the country area. We actually found that in Shelbyville! I'm interested in hearing from anyone that lives there or in the areas right around it. I remember seeing signs for Eminence, Waddy, Simpsonville, Taylorsville also I think. We really are interested in the school areas from a personal experience there. We have 2 boys aged 6 and 8 and one is special needs. Also a good children's hospital would be next on our list to find.

-Where you are working : my fiance works in a brewery/factory out here in NY. He can work for any of the distillery's in the area or any factory really. We visited Limestone, Maker's Mark and Jim Beam distillery and he qualifies for any distillery job. Pay rate seemed very good out there for that type of work.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: we are just looking for something small. Preferably a mobile home or the best would be a mobile home on just an acre of land or at least a large yard. We'd like to stay out of a trailer park but would be willing to start in one to work ourselves onto our own property. Out here in NY we have NO yard, just a square and we rent 1/2 house. We NEED space for our little ones to run around! We would love to rent a mobile home or house or rent to own any property.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: my fiance commutes out an hour now and in Shelbyville area it's about an hour out to a couple distilleries. Probably not any more that a little over an hour.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? 2 boys 6 and 8. We would LOVE to get them into a private church school. We know there are grants out there that could help us. If not possible, a good public school. My youngest is special needs and is slower so a smaller school that pays more attention to their students would be best for us.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?: Definitely small town community. Where we live now there are Mennonites and farms everywhere. We prefer to be out in the same country area. We don't mind being in a small mobile home and having no neighbors or taking the time to drive to what we need. Country living is what we're looking for!

-Pie or cake?: both!!

Shelbyville is a nice area. I disagree about Bardstown being too "busy." you may need to look more on the edges of town.

Shelbyville and its western side especially, is growing fast. Shelbville's county is getting its first mall (in simpsonville) and I think it is a sign of times to come.

That said, Shelby Co schools are good. There are a growing number of transplants yet the area retains that small town vibe.

The closest children's hospital is Kosair Brownsboro. It is about a 25 minute drive from the west side of shelbyville:

Kosair Children's Medical Center

Its sister hospitals, in downtown Louisville and St Matthews, are about 35 mins from Shelbyville and are much bigger (but not as new)

Locations for Kosair Children's Hospitals and medical center in Louisville KY

For special needs, Louisville's JCPS is the best in the state. However, Shelby Public schools are good. Also, there are some outstanding religious schools:

Corpus Christi Academy - Home

Cornerstone Christian Academy-CCA

http://www.ccaofky.org/Docs/2013-201...20Brochure.pdf

All these places offer tuition assistance. Welcome to KY and warmer weather

Please check out the arts, sports, culture, theatre, and local restaurants and shopping in Louisville, as you will be residing in a Louisville bedroom community. Welcome!

Old 07-14-2014, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 14,146 times
-Where you are working
LMPD Academy

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
$1650 (4br with finished basement or 5+br)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
45m

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
Public

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Just looking for a "good" neighborhood

-Community amenities important to you
Not really concerned with amenities

-Pie or cake?
Pie!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:49 AM

5 posts, read 14,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker45 View Post
-Where you are working

-Pie or cake?
Pie!
oops, posted this in the wrong place. I am not city-data mobile saavy.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 PM

13 posts, read 17,887 times
-Where you are working: home business
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: 500k
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: 0, work at home
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?: public school
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?: suburbian delight
-Community amenities important to you: good schools, low crime
-Pie or cake?: cake is hit or miss, but pie is always good

Old 09-06-2014, 01:29 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,762,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbch View Post
-Where you are working: home business
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: 500k
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: 0, work at home
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?: public school
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?: suburbian delight
-Community amenities important to you: good schools, low crime
-Pie or cake?: cake is hit or miss, but pie is always good
Tell us more? Where are you from? What do you do? Kids ages? Are you ok with bussing and school diversity? Make sure the homes you look at are in a good school cluster

JCPS SchoolFinder

Based on what you are telling, I would choose the suburban school district of Oldham County. Large upscale homes can be had for 500k with close proximity to major city amenities of Louisville and very safe and nice with probably among the most transplants you are going to find in KY (i.e. people moving in from other states, especially OH and MI).

Old 09-09-2014, 01:48 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,250,643 times
Sorry for not responding to this earlier guys ( Or did I? Gosh I don't remember...

(note that I borrowed this thread from the VA forum, as we here are also getting bombarded with vague questions)

READ if you are asking about where to live in KY

There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in KY. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working - Right now, account management, support, sales, bilingual. I work for a software company currently. My wife is college educated, has 2 degrees has worked as a teacher and also with kids with learning disabilities. She's very interested in medical translation ( spanish ) or working with kids in the school system.
-How much you are willing to spend on housing - We'd like to keep it under $150,000 as close to $100,000 as best as possible. If we find something nice, in good condition and in a decent neighborhood for under $100,000, even better
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - I could commute up to 1 hour, but my wife, she's Argentine and not used to long commutes, 20 minutes or less for her LOL
-If you have kids: Private school or public school - I prefer private school or even home schooling for my 2 year old, when he reaches that point. Public school, it would be our last choice but again, it really depends.
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - My wife and I are open, although I prefer more rural. I'd probably be happiest out in rural Bullit, Oldham, Shelby or the outskirts of Jefferson County. However, my wife doesn't, she prefers the suburbs or even the outskirts of the downtown area, but she's beginning to open up a bit more. As long as the lots are a good size, nice trees, quite, safe neighborhood, we'll consider it. I personally like Bullit county best, Shepherdsville, NE Bullit or down around the Lebanon Junction area. My wife, honestly she likes St Matthews, parts of Fern Creek, The Highlands, Anchorage....she has expensive taste LOL!
-Community amenities important to you - It depends. I have family all over the area, so we already are happy with alot of what Louisville already offers regarding food, shopping, nightlife etc. My wife and I are early 40's so we are very private, quiet, laid back folks. My mom will be retiring soon and heading back to Ky, also ALL of my family lives in Ky within just an hour and a half of Louisville or so, and, I have family in Louisville as well. We want to be closer to them to be honest.
-Pie or cake? - Cake..LOL

We on the KY forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 09-09-2014 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-29-2016, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,977 times
Sounds like Nicholasville might be the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky