Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 AM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times

Advertisements

A question to those of you who have lived here all your life or at least for a long while...

How often are you teased or made fun of because of your accent?

I think about this because when I get back to my home county (Henry Co.), or when I am with my friends who live south of Louisville - it is not very long before my true self comes out and I throw the "ya'll's" and "reckon's" like wild fire. I have learned to flip it back and forth as the need arises - but sometimes I forget.

Why do I even feel the need to control it? Because working in Louisville for doctors, and interviewing for new careers has put me in a position to speak differently - and I hate it! I just want to be me - But my accent only highlights my blond hair, and I am automatically 'categorized' - if you know what I mean.

So - just curious if you guys feel the same need to tone it down on occassion - or if you even worry about it at all! I guess Louisville is so different because it is 'north' and has become a melting pot of immigrants from other states and countries - I truly feel the pressure to speak differently there.

My kids tease me about my 'phone voice' when they have called me at work - I turn the accent on and off like a switch!

What about ya'll?

KimmieyKY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 08:28 AM

190 posts, read 812,003 times
Default Accent

I have an AWFUL accent, and know it. Yes, I try my best to tone it down when in "mixed company" (which means anyone that is not related to me) but sometimes when I am really busy or stressed, it slips out. I never really thought about this until I was about 19, and working at Boonesboro State Park. A guest at the campground stopped me to ask where the store was located. When I pointed to the main road and told him to follow (read foller) 388 to the top of the hill, he cracked up. And I mean ROLLING and POINTING at me! He said "Say it again!" Not knowing what he meant, but now getting pretty hot under the collar, I asked what the heck was so funny. Of course, that sent him into further throws of laughter. He turned to the back of his Suburban, and told his kids to "listen up, she said foller instead of follow!" He then asked me if I lived in a holler or hollow. Needless to say, I was embarrased. The man started saying, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I find your accent adorable!" I asked hime where he was from. He told me his family was from Canada, but searching for a "hoose" (house) in Kentucky. Boy, did I laugh at him! That was the pot calling the kettle black. [/i]

Old 01-24-2007, 09:27 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Question What Accent?

And mix my Waco-developed KY accent with my hillbilly (yes, I said hillbilly--see below)/cracker Alabama accent and you've really got something. It was quite entertaining to the Maine and New Hampshire natives we encountered on our last visit to New England.

I picked this up off the internet, but had read it previously in the local paper:
The earliest written occurrence of the term on record is from the New York Journal of 1900, which defined a "hillbilly" as "a free and untrammeled white citizen of Alabama, who lives in the hills, has no means to speak of, dresses as he can, talks as he pleases, drinks whiskey when he gets it, and fires off his revolver as the fancy takes him." *
*My beloved spouse opines that this definition adequately describes me and the other members of the hunting club on her family's property.

Last edited by nalabama; 01-24-2007 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Add emphasis/typo

Old 01-24-2007, 09:40 AM

190 posts, read 812,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
And mix my Waco-developed KY accent with my hillbilly (yes, I said hillbilly--see below)/cracker Alabama accent and you've really got something. It was quite entertaining to the Maine and New Hampshire natives we encountered on our last visit to New England.

I picked this up off the internet, but had read it previously in the local paper:
The earliest written occurrence of the term on record is from the New York Journal of 1900, which defined a "hillbilly" as "a free and untrammeled white citizen of Alabama, who lives in the hills, has no means to speak of, dresses as he can, talks as he pleases, drinks whiskey when he gets it, and fires off his revolver as the fancy takes him." *
*My beloved spouse opines that this definition adequately describes me and the other members of the hunting club on her family's property.
Take out the Alabama, insert KY, and you just described several members of my family!

Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 AM

76 posts, read 344,643 times
I heard yesterday from someone over the internet we are not to be referred to as "hillbillies" anymore but to be politically correct we are to be known as "Bluegrass Americans".
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Old 01-24-2007, 10:35 AM

This is hilarious!!! I am rolling myself sitting here reading! I reckon we can be pretty entertain'en, can't we?

I caught myself last night after getting off the phone with a friend from Spencer county. She had my 'drawl' so activated my husband (who is from Oklahoma, grew up in Louisville - but sounds like he is from Ohio), looked at me and said "what did you just say?" He rarely can translate Kentucky-ese.

"Bluegrass Americans", huh? Well, ain't we comin' up in the world!

( You know, it is easier to speak it than to type it! )

Oh, and did you hear the guys talking on television last week about the train derailment? On the local news it wasn't so bad - but on CNN and Fox - I bet we really lived up to their expectations!

Lordy, Lordy!
Kimmiey

Old 01-24-2007, 11:00 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Question Huh?

Now shouldn't that be "Geologically Elevated Bluegrass Americans"? Or are they trying to lump y'all in with all them "Flatlanders"?

Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 AM

Default ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Now shouldn't that be "Geologically Elevated Bluegrass Americans"? Or are they trying to lump y'all in with all them "Flatlanders"?
Do you have any idea how many times I had to read that before I figured out what you were talking about??!! Boy - Hillbilly in my head, too!

So FUNNY!!!!

Kimmiey

Old 01-24-2007, 05:28 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
You all are just a HOOT!!!! I get a kick out of reading things like this, to see how everyone talks and see how other areas relate to their accent, I think it is cool.
I am from Minnesota, and I really like to get along with all walks of life, their is always something interesting about each and everyone of us. Keep the laughs coming, this is like one big fun family!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:19 AM

It doesn't take long to get 'sucked' into the twang we have!

Last night, I went to bed early (finally) but not before I was talking to my son about something and HE SAID " Mom, I reckon i'll be home directly - eatin' with dad to'nite - that ok? "

Now, this sentence reads a little funny - but put the twang in it for the conversation in your head - the countriest (word?) twang you've ever heard!

I laughed and said 'yepper, I reckon that's alrite'.

I have seen translation sites on the net for different languages so you can get the correct spelling - can't find one for kentucky-ese. Ain's that a whoopin'?

Funny, Happy Day!!!! KimmieKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky