Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 02:28 PM

94 posts, read 612,806 times

Advertisements

I was raised mostly in Oklahoma but lived in Arkansas until I was five and subsequently learned to talk there. I have a lot of old tapes of myself from when I was a kid, and WHAT an accent I had!!

When I grew up, I moved to Murray, Kentucky with my husband. I find it funny, Kimmiey, that your husband would have trouble understanding you. I didn't have any trouble and thought that the accent was very like my Eastern Oklahoma accent. My husband is from there and doesn't have an accent at all (attributable to his history in the debate club in high school, I guess).

We have friends from Clinton and Fulton County, though, and there's a difference. Some of them, I can't understand much at all!

We later moved to Corinth, Mississippi. There, he and I both had to rely on falling to our Southern accents to communicate with anyone. "I reckin I'll be there d'reckly with ma kin" was not an uncommon phrase!

It is funny how my accent seems to change based on where I live. I live in New Mexico now, where the accent and colloquialisms tend to lean to the Native American (Buh, ay! What we have for supp-AH?) and Chicano (Ey, Main, come an looka my Chevy!). I've seemed to pick that up a lot, and when I go back home to Tulsa, my sister and parents just give me a WTF?! look when I talk. I also seem to say, "huh?" every other sentence.

I've always been extremely intrigued with accents. Yorkie Mom, I disagree--the Minnesota accent is extremely original and easy to pick out. Refer to the movie Fargo--"Oh, shoot!"

I also like the Northern Illinois/Michigan accent, which is very similar to Minnesota and Wisconsin. I've always called it Great Lakes.

Well, I'm on the verge of going on an accent rampage (I'm such an etymologist and linguist at heart, it's kind of embarrassing), so I'll quit.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 04:26 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,618 times
Sooner - I think it's very cool that you have such a plethora of 'accents' within you!

I tend to do the same thing. If I am around someone for very long, my 'parrot' instinncts come out, and I can pick up an accent quickly.

Dh SAYS he can't understand me - he just picks on me. Somehow, going back and forth from Oklahoma to Kentucky - he nbarely has an accent at all. He's like the people on t.v. - you can't tell where they are from!

I think accents are really a good thing and something we should be proud of - but I really do have to tone it down when in 'mixed' company!

A blond with my accent - and you wouldn't think I gotta brain in my head!!
Will stereotypes ever cease? Te Hee Hee!!

I wish the keyboard had the marks for long and short vowels - then you could really 'hear' me!!
I reckin I'll hav to luk that up and see whut I can find!!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Ala

26 posts, read 142,871 times
I'm originally from Kentucky, spent the first 25 years of my life in the same little town. I LOVE my accent. In fact, I'm a bit disappointed, that having lived away for so many years, it has decreased so much.

But, I get on the phone with anyone from home, and for the next hour or so, my accent is back full force! LOL.

I've had some people look at me like I'm a "hick" for it, but I really don't mind. Most people like to hear me talk. Especially when I get excited or angry. That is when it really comes out. So, I just have fun with it and sometimes even make it a bit "deeper" just for effect. But, sshhhhh. Don't tell anyone.

Ah, I miss home.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala View Post
I'm originally from Kentucky, spent the first 25 years of my life in the same little town. I LOVE my accent. In fact, I'm a bit disappointed, that having lived away for so many years, it has decreased so much.

But, I get on the phone with anyone from home, and for the next hour or so, my accent is back full force! LOL.

I've had some people look at me like I'm a "hick" for it, but I really don't mind. Most people like to hear me talk. Especially when I get excited or angry. That is when it really comes out. So, I just have fun with it and sometimes even make it a bit "deeper" just for effect. But, sshhhhh. Don't tell anyone.

Ah, I miss home.
I do the same thing! The more I talk, the worse (better it gets) - and sometimes I do lay it on thick - just because people look at me funny! Kimmiey

Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 AM

21 posts, read 75,562 times
I post this mainly for its humor.

I was born in Md and lived there until I was 2 1/2. I lived in South Jersey for 23 years, a short 6 months in Florida and ended up here in Amish country PA for the last 10.

For as long as I can remember, people, namely those Yankees , have asked me where down south I was from. I do tend to have a slight and I mean slight southern drawl and it was always amusing that the northerners could pick it up. Don't ask me where it came from cause I have no I-deer. Sorry, just having some fun.

The southern accent is most definitely charming at least to my northern ears. It just reflects the friendly, genuine nature of each person.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 AM

6 posts, read 15,161 times
my partner and I are both from England (just outside of london) and we come over to Hershey, PA every year for a car show and everyone we speak to asks us where abouts in Australia do we come from!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:59 AM

606 posts, read 699,608 times
Southern accent is cute

Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM

Default London, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggle View Post
my partner and I are both from England (just outside of london) and we come over to Hershey, PA every year for a car show and everyone we speak to asks us where abouts in Australia do we come from!!!
That has GOT to be hilarious! I have noticed the accent is a little close - but you can hear the differences if you listen.

So - what do you tell them??? I would say 'London, Australia' , just to see what they say! That's too funny!

Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
Southern accent is cute
Why, thank you kindly. Sho nuff 'preciate that!!

Kimmiey

Old 02-12-2007, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 15,161 times
we always tell them london, england. after 6 years it still makes us chuckle. with all the american programmes on the tv we dont have any problems with the accent its normal to us, but it doesnt seem to work the other way.

even funnier is some people ask us "how are Harry and William" ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky