Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 08:16 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Not a lot of job growth to attract people there.

The state has 2 larger metro areas with Louisville & Lexington. But Louisville's economy is pretty flat, and Lexington's is not much better.

The metro suburbs of Cincinnati could offer some growth, but the metro of Cincinnati is very slow growing itself, and doesn't provide much growth at all in terms of spillover into Kentucky.

And a big factor too is that the eastern 1/3 of the state is anemic with job growth, has very few high paying jobs or careers, and has a very high poverty rate.

And the state is not really on the national radar as "attractive" to move to, for those looking to start careers and families or those looking to retire.
I think this is the best overall summary. I lived there while finishing undergrad and I’d have never looked at KY otherwise if my mother’s job didn’t get transferred there. I think Kentucky is a better state overall than people would ever give it credit for. But there is not really the appeal a North Carolina, Florida, or Texas would offer to different populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 09:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Can you explain how the "death" tax deters the average retiree from relocating to KY ?
I'm wondering that too. Kentucky actually rates pretty high overall as being tax friendly for retirees.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Maybe inheritance tax is a much better word so I apologize. I've talked about it before but many retirees and others just assume that they won't be able to leave an inheritance to their loved ones without it being highly taxed.
In reality, the inheritance tax doesn't affect most family members but people don't do research. They just know there is an inheritance tax and avoid moving to the state.

Spouses, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, step children aren't affected by it but people assume the worst.
Bingo - and other relatives are also not unduly burdened. Total strangers or corporations can be impacted negatively though.

Old 12-12-2023, 04:43 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Give it time.

Old 12-12-2023, 04:55 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
A lot of things would be forgiven if it was a true Sun Belt state. But the climate is an inland version of the Mid-Atlantic or alternatively a warm-ish version of a Midwestern climate (with that added warmth being potentially negated by elevation increase depending on the specific location). No-one's moving to Kentucky for the weather.

Another factor is the simple fact that the state isn't very well-connected. It lacks a major international airport or port, the major transit routes from the East to the West or the ports in the South to the Northeast bypass the state. I read a while ago that Kentucky has the highest % of residents who were born in the state (not sure if still true). That might be related. It's just not really a state outsiders would come across by accident very easily, you basically have to choose to go there.

Old 12-13-2023, 02:01 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Bowling Green seems to be a faster growing region. Bowling Green's population has more than doubled since 1970, as has Warren County. They are now both larger than Muncie/Delaware County, Indiana when in 1970 Bowling Green/Warren County were about half the size. I think Bowling Green would be a great place to live. It has all the amenities and benefits a large Mid-Major university brings to a region. And it's only about an hours drive to enjoy the benefits of Nashville but far enough away from Nashville that that housing is a fraction of the cost in Bowling Green.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:25 PM

619 posts, read 310,782 times
Can't say about KY in general, but I seem to remember one town that posted a very specific population (29,302?) that remained constant for decades. Every time a baby was born, a man left town.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:17 AM

27 posts, read 20,378 times
I am in California, here we are looking at hardly any rain ever and the main source of water for the whole west coast is drying up. When I see rain I get all excited! ;-) you don't know how much you would miss clouds until you hadn't seen them for years. The last few haven't been so bad but they will be again.

I think KY looks beautiful and reasonable. I don't need a job though, as long as there's internet I'm self employed.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:56 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Fatigue View Post
I am in California, here we are looking at hardly any rain ever and the main source of water for the whole west coast is drying up. When I see rain I get all excited! ;-) you don't know how much you would miss clouds until you hadn't seen them for years. The last few haven't been so bad but they will be again.

I think KY looks beautiful and reasonable. I don't need a job though, as long as there's internet I'm self employed.
I know people here and in this form complain about KY weather endlessly, but as a CA transplant myself I love the weather here. It actually rains about once a week or so!! I even look forward to the standard thunderstorms. Everything is so green in summer and fall colors are gorgeous. Winters are usually pretty mild with very little snow and spring always has a lovely display of blooming flowers and trees with an abundance of cardinals and robins starting new families and singing just outside. Perhaps it takes someone from out of state to appreciate what we have here.

The four seasons almost make it feel like you are living in a different place throughout the year. The weather never gets boring.
I live on the Ohio River in NE Kentucky and enjoy looking out the window and seeing the river as well as walking it. It's such a striking beautiful huge water feature that people here mostly take for granted.

Last edited by marino760; 12-14-2023 at 08:10 AM..

Old 12-14-2023, 08:48 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Another factor is the simple fact that the state isn't very well-connected. It lacks a major international airport or port, the major transit routes from the East to the West or the ports in the South to the Northeast bypass the state. I read a while ago that Kentucky has the highest % of residents who were born in the state (not sure if still true). That might be related. It's just not really a state outsiders would come across by accident very easily, you basically have to choose to go there.
This isn't accurate at all - several states have a higher percentage of native born residents than Kentucky which is at about 68%. Louisiana has close to 78%, Michigan 76% and Ohio 75% based on recent census data. And as far as recent minimal population growth, the nation as a whole has really slowed down with Covid and lowering birthrates. Kentucky has not been among a growing number of states losing population.

Kentucky obviously doesn't have major airports or seaports but plenty of people pass through the state by road traveling between the South and Midwest. The state's largest population centers are right on Interstates 65 (Louisville, Elizabethtown, Bowling Green) and 75 (Cincinnati suburbs, Lexington) which are highly trafficked corridors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky