Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 10:44 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,027,721 times

Advertisements

Good outline of rules for Kentucky and many other states:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...trip=1&vwsrc=0 - Here's how Kentucky's law works for filling U.S. Senate vacancies
Courier Journal article

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-31-2023 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 05:02 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
One does have to wonder if McConnell was anticipating this in 2021 and he didn’t want Beshear replacing him. I do agree with the changes, regardless of the senator, party, or governor.

My sister-in-law thinks he has Parkinson’s. She says if he does there is no reason for him to step down, it shouldn’t impact him cognitively.

Old 08-31-2023, 05:40 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,027,721 times
The Republican committee's list of three is a good way to handle it.

But those other state Governors that can pick anyone with no restrictions is not good. The quality of most Senators is poor enough as is.

Old 08-31-2023, 05:53 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
It was stated today in the news that he was examined by a doctor and he is capable and well enough to continue in his present position as senator. His "freezing up" is not uncommon for a period of time when someone has had a concussion. Well, at least that's what has been put out for the press.

Old 09-01-2023, 02:53 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I don't think he is going to resign.
I don't think he should run again though....maybe it's time to retire.
I feel bad for him....hope he is okay.

Old 09-01-2023, 04:54 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I think some of the others are showing worrisome signs of diminished cognitive ability and maybe senility or other age related issues...and maybe they need to retire.
Including Joe Biden and Dianne Feinstein...just to name a few.

^I don't mean that in a political way in any sense....more like a practical and medical sense...if that makes any sense.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:16 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I think some of the others are showing worrisome signs of diminished cognitive ability and maybe senility or other age related issues...and maybe they need to retire.
Including Joe Biden and Dianne Feinstein...just to name a few.

^I don't mean that in a political way in any sense....more like a practical and medical sense...if that makes any sense.
From a strictly health/ability to perform work perspective, I believe Feinstein should retire immediately. Biden and McConnell are fine remaining in their positions for the time being.

I would entertain the idea of a maximum age allowed for serving in Congress or as President.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:40 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
I read somewhere that the Kentucky legislature removed the governor's power to name a successor to a Senate vacancy. Is that true?

If so, McConnell might just be holding out for the "right" successor to step up. This has been intimated in a couple of news reports.

On the other hand it's got to be hard to step down and give it all up. The guy's been in the Senate now for over 30 years.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:53 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
One does have to wonder if McConnell was anticipating this in 2021 and he didn’t want Beshear replacing him. I do agree with the changes, regardless of the senator, party, or governor.

My sister-in-law thinks he has Parkinson’s. She says if he does there is no reason for him to step down, it shouldn’t impact him cognitively.
Well I think you need to read about Parkinson's and cognitive decline. It can indeed lead to dementia.

What I see I saw in a co-worker with seizures. She would wander off disorientated and unable to speak. I'm wondering if McConnell didn't have a mild stroke when he fell a few months ago and they are keeping it secret? Come on, he's 81 in poor health. I feel bad for him, but it's time to go.

Old 09-02-2023, 03:13 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Gentle reminder: to be on topic, all posts in this sub-forum must be focused on Kentucky. Discussions about this topic on a national level belong in P&OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: