Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 09:24 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times

Advertisements

Just would be interesting to see Sarah and Hillary in the Senate together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb Can Sarah Palin appoint herself as Senator if Stevens wins and then resigns?

But, as a mere senator, she'd be out of the spotlight too often. Her present persona as Alaska's "maverick jr" governor puts her on a par with Jesse Ventura a decade ago. I'd bet that now she's a national figure and mouthpiece for the kooky religious right, she'll never want to step out of the limelight.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
As I have posted in several threads, the answer to that question is NO.

At the most, she can appoint an interim chairholder. The State of Alaska will have to hold a special election to fill Steven's Senate seat in the event that he resigns or is expelled by the U.S. Senate should he even happen to win this election.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,898 times
A mayor, reformer, governor, maverick, nutjob, diva, whack job.....and now a senator? I don't think so

Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
A mayor, reformer, governor, maverick, nutjob, diva, whack job.....and now a senator? I don't think so
Talk show host on The View is really the perfect future for her.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:05 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

At the most, she can appoint an interim chairholder. The State of Alaska will have to hold a special election to fill Steven's Senate seat in the event that he resigns or is expelled by the U.S. Senate should he even happen to win this election.
Sorry, I have looked through a bunch of threads and did not see the answer, but thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Can Sarah Palin appoint herself as Senator if Stevens wins and then resigns?
Metlakatla gave the correct answer. For a more detailed explanation, see here:

http://www.adn.com/ted-stevens/story/569836.html

Old 11-05-2008, 03:36 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Palin will be able to run for that Senate seat in a special election. I wonder if that is what the people of Alaska are hoping will happen. By voting in a convicted felon, if he wins, the door is open for Palin. Why else vote for him?!?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:45 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
I think Stevens has won. Look forward to an expulsion trial in about 4 months when he loses his appeal.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:19 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
But, as a mere senator, she'd be out of the spotlight too often. Her present persona as Alaska's "maverick jr" governor puts her on a par with Jesse Ventura a decade ago. I'd bet that now she's a national figure and mouthpiece for the kooky religious right, she'll never want to step out of the limelight.
As an aside, there is a key difference in your comparison to Ventura. While he never got my vote, Ventura was a surprisingly skilled governor who did alot of good for the State of Minnesota. He helped increase transparency in government, and is the main reason why Minneapolis has a light rail train. A little eccentric, sure; but prob. the best governor we have had for nearly 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections