Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 09:35 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Nicholasville is nice.

Western Kentucky gets most of the tornadoes.

Eastern Kentucky got a really bad flood last year and a lot of the cheap houses for sale in Eastern Kentucky have flood damage.

Lexington and Louisville have a lot of shootings.

Laurel County is known for its meth.
I don't know much about the rest of the State, I only been out of this holler a time or two but, I agree....STAY out of Eastern Kentucky, the flood damage is unbelievable, ALL the trailers, cheap or otherwise, are full of mold, back water mud and crawdads.

Laurel County...I went down there once and I swear every person in that County is on meth.

Just remember, all the bad things you have heard about Eastern Kentucky are true, they are not only true, they are ten times worse! But, if you are hellbent on Kentucky...by all means Lexington or Louisville is the place for you, personally I would look at Louisville, from what I've heard, they have everything you can imagine.

Besides, I just checked with the State Department that allows people to move to Eastern Kentucky...turns out we have met our quota for the year. Sorry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 02:31 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Hogsrus, I promise not to tell anyone else but there's a place up in the hills just above my house called Smokey Holler. It's beautiful with deer and all kinds of wildlife and so green with running creeks. Sometimes the deer come down and visit for a while.
People are rather surprised when I tell them this part of KY is where bourbon began, not Bardstown. There's a very famous movie star from the 1950s who grew up here and is buried at the local cemetery. She never forgot where she came from. A Supreme Court Justice was born, raised and died here as well. I also have to give Daniel Boone a mention since he helped found this town and had a tavern here.

Some would consider this area as the border or beginning of Eastern KY. I was lucky enough to sneak in here before the quota was met that you mentioned.

Last edited by marino760; 05-03-2023 at 02:55 AM..

Old 05-03-2023, 09:59 AM

736 posts, read 483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
I don't know much about the rest of the State, I only been out of this holler a time or two but, I agree....STAY out of Eastern Kentucky, the flood damage is unbelievable, ALL the trailers, cheap or otherwise, are full of mold, back water mud and crawdads.

Laurel County...I went down there once and I swear every person in that County is on meth.

Just remember, all the bad things you have heard about Eastern Kentucky are true, they are not only true, they are ten times worse! But, if you are hellbent on Kentucky...by all means Lexington or Louisville is the place for you, personally I would look at Louisville, from what I've heard, they have everything you can imagine.

Besides, I just checked with the State Department that allows people to move to Eastern Kentucky...turns out we have met our quota for the year. Sorry.

I see what you did there.

Old 05-03-2023, 01:33 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
I see what you did there.
Weird.... It's almost like they are trying to scare away outsiders from their own slice of heaven.

Old 05-04-2023, 04:58 PM

89 posts, read 153,445 times
Thank you for the insights guys. I kind of got away from this site for a bit but it seems that now this thread has gotten some attention. So I do appreciate y'all who've commented so far. Going to make my way up there this month to scope out some areas and towns. Looking forward to it. I know I gotta get out of Florida... the hand writing is on the wall for me.

Old 05-04-2023, 05:21 PM

89 posts, read 153,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post

Just from a quick trulia search, it seems that you can get more bang for your bucket when it comes to a house with some acreage. That's kind of what I'm looking for... a little place on 5+ acres, ideally, for ~150K.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:26 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
Just from a quick trulia search, it seems that you can get more bang for your bucket when it comes to a house with some acreage. That's kind of what I'm looking for... a little place on 5+ acres, ideally, for ~150K.
Too bad you weren't in western Ky. about 4 or 5 years ago. Step daughter and SIL sold their 3 br 2 bath brick house on 14 acres for $175,000. Trigg County, south of Cadiz.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:11 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
OP, Florida here as well. Frankfort (the state capital) is worth a look in my opinion and feel you might like it there. https://visitfrankfort.com/

Old 05-07-2023, 08:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Murray KY is another option.

What's a "mid-sized town" to you? Some might say as much as 500k, some 20k, many somewhere in between. My general advice is don't go too small unless you are experienced with it or "sure". Can always go smaller later if mid-sized is still too big.

If you like TN, there are places that are beyond the hotspots and probably stay pretty much that way. Like McMinnville.

Average wages will vary by location and place size. But what you can charge is a bit of a guess still you look / ask around.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-07-2023 at 09:38 PM..

Old 05-08-2023, 08:09 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwjxaIGhRo0

^Don't pay no attention to Hogs, Eastern Kentucky is spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_PtE9nvwY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky