Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 09:04 AM

15 posts, read 19,610 times

Advertisements

We are likely moving to the Bowling Green area and I’m trying to wrap my head around the KY “car property tax” or whatever it’s called — where you pay every year based on the value of the car. We don’t have this where I currently live. Does anyone have a pickup or SUV from 2015-2016ish (both of our vehicles are close to 100K in mileage) and what did you pay for them recently? Just trying to get a sense of expenses. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 11:30 AM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
We are likely moving to the Bowling Green area and I’m trying to wrap my head around the KY “car property tax” or whatever it’s called — where you pay every year based on the value of the car. We don’t have this where I currently live.
You are lucky you don't have that.

Quote:
What is the annual car tax in KY?

Usage Tax – A six percent (6%) motor vehicle usage tax is levied upon the “retail price” of vehicles transferred in Kentucky. On used vehicles, the usage tax is 6% of the current average retail as listed in the Used Car Guide or 6% of the total consideration paid.
Link

I just paid property taxes on a 2019 Chevy Cruz and it was around $190 for registration and taxes on a 2003 Grand Marquis was
like 30 dollars. It was back in January so I don't remember the exact amount. You don't have to go down in person you are able to pay it online.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:26 PM

Okay…that is reassuring. Thank you for sharing the exact amounts. Our car registrations are both currently $78/year so I feel like the KY prop tax on slightly older vehicles (2015ish) plus the low KY registration (I feel like people usually say it’s about $20-something a year for tags?) won’t be that much more than the $78 we each pay per year right now. I know in some states like VA the car property tax is hundreds per year so that’s what I was worried about.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:05 PM

^The registration was 20 or 25 dollars each. I included it in how much I paid for tax and registration.

When you move to Kentucky I think it is $21 the first time you register to get your plates.
Quote:
How will Road Usage Tax be calculated?
A 6% Kentucky road usage tax is collected on the trade-in value. Credit will be allowed for qualifying tax paid in the other state.

https://www.fayettecountyclerk.com/w...tokentucky.htm
It always seems like the Government is always trying to figure out how to get fees or tax you more....I am surprised that they don't tax you for what you're taxed.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:20 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
Very few states collect property tax on cars. You might see more states making use of it in the future with more EVs on the road meaning less state tax on gas collected.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:38 AM

You made me curious, so I had to google it.
From what I can tell online it says that

26 states charge vehicle property taxes, 23 states do not charge vehicle property taxes

Quote:
The average American household spends $2,690 on property taxes for their homes each year, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, and residents of the 26 states with vehicle property taxes shell out another $444.Feb 21, 2023

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...ty-taxes/11585
Quote:

There are 23 states that don’t have this levy, plus Washington, D.C., according to the report. In addition to New York, those include New Jersey, Florida, Texas and Illinois.
https://www.mansionglobal.com/articl...or-cars-220298
We paid no where near 400 dollars in vehicle tax and registration, we only paid 220 for both cars.
Of course our cars are not even remotely fancy or new!

Old 03-31-2023, 06:42 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfedup View Post
Okay…that is reassuring. Thank you for sharing the exact amounts. Our car registrations are both currently $78/year so I feel like the KY prop tax on slightly older vehicles (2015ish) plus the low KY registration (I feel like people usually say it’s about $20-something a year for tags?) won’t be that much more than the $78 we each pay per year right now. I know in some states like VA the car property tax is hundreds per year so that’s what I was worried about.
I don’t remember the actual amounts we paid but when we moved from Virginia to Kentucky in 2019 the state’s property taxes on one car was lower and the other higher, which ended up making a total of about $20 cheaper in Kentucky. I talked to someone who also moved from Virginia around that time who said that between their two cars they paid about $40 more in Kentucky. Not sure what goes into the calculations of each state that causes that difference, but apparently there is something.

Virginia actually isn’t too bad unless you live in the DC Metro or Virginia Beach areas,. Local or regional property taxes on cars is what makes Virginia’s car property taxes ridiculous.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:44 PM

327 posts, read 221,748 times
I drive a ten-year-old sedan that has just under 100,000 miles. Last month, I owed the county clerk's office approximately $75.00 in motor vehicle property taxes, in addition to $21.00 in registration renewal fees. With the online payment processing fee, my total payment amounted to $100.00.

Similar to the OP, I relocated to KY from a state that does not separately collect motor vehicle property taxes and was nervous about the total assessment. Needless to say, I was surprised to learn that my motor vehicle property taxes plus registration renewal fees amounted to less than what I historically owed to my previous state of residence for registration renewal fees alone (between $180 and $205 annually).

In KY, motor vehicle property taxes and registration renewal fees must be paid to the local county clerk's office by the last day of your birthday month. Accordingly, all vehicles must be registered and titled at the local county clerk's office.

If you are registering a vehicle in KY for the first time, whether that vehicle is new or was previously registered in another state, then you must undergo a safety inspection with a sheriff deputy before registration can occur. The sheriff's inspection costs approximately $5.00, and this fee must be paid in cash to the sheriff's deputy at the time of inspection. If the tint on the front windows of your vehicle is darker than the KY legal limit, then your vehicle will not pass the inspection. The sheriff deputy will direct you to a tint shop and request that you return for another inspection once the window film is removed. Similarly, if there are any other safety defects (e.g., headlights or taillights out), then your vehicle will not pass the safety inspection.

Thankfully, KY does not require emissions inspections/testing for motor vehicles, regardless of vehicle age, and the safety inspection described above is a one-time occurrence. KY does not require motor vehicles to undergo safety inspections annually or biennially (as part of the registration renewal process).

I hope this information is helpful.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:26 AM

This is so helpful and so clear. Thank you for taking the time to post this and explain! Very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
I drive a ten-year-old sedan that has just under 100,000 miles. Last month, I owed the county clerk's office approximately $75.00 in motor vehicle property taxes, in addition to $21.00 in registration renewal fees. With the online payment processing fee, my total payment amounted to $100.00.

Similar to the OP, I relocated to KY from a state that does not separately collect motor vehicle property taxes and was nervous about the total assessment. Needless to say, I was surprised to learn that my motor vehicle property taxes plus registration renewal fees amounted to less than what I historically owed to my previous state of residence for registration renewal fees alone (between $180 and $205 annually).

In KY, motor vehicle property taxes and registration renewal fees must be paid to the local county clerk's office by the last day of your birthday month. Accordingly, all vehicles must be registered and titled at the local county clerk's office.

If you are registering a vehicle in KY for the first time, whether that vehicle is new or was previously registered in another state, then you must undergo a safety inspection with a sheriff deputy before registration can occur. The sheriff's inspection costs approximately $5.00, and this fee must be paid in cash to the sheriff's deputy at the time of inspection. If the tint on the front windows of your vehicle is darker than the KY legal limit, then your vehicle will not pass the inspection. The sheriff deputy will direct you to a tint shop and request that you return for another inspection once the window film is removed. Similarly, if there are any other safety defects (e.g., headlights or taillights out), then your vehicle will not pass the safety inspection.

Thankfully, KY does not require emissions inspections/testing for motor vehicles, regardless of vehicle age, and the safety inspection described above is a one-time occurrence. KY does not require motor vehicles to undergo safety inspections annually or biennially (as part of the registration renewal process).

I hope this information is helpful.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:56 AM

327 posts, read 221,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfedup View Post
This is so helpful and so clear. Thank you for taking the time to post this and explain! Very much appreciated.
You are most welcome.

For your information, KY does not have a centralized, statewide bureau or department that handles all matters related to operating motor vehicles, as many other states do. All KY driver licensing is conducted at "Driver Licensing Regional Offices," which are located in all of the major cities and towns throughout the state. Although these offices have walk-in appointments available every day of the week, they eventually stop accepting walk-ins after a certain time, which is usually 1-2 hours before closing time. If you arrive at your local Driving Licensing Regional Office at 8:00 or 9:00 AM, then you don't need to worry about being turned away by office staff.

If possible, I highly recommend obtaining a KY driver license before attempting to reregister and retitle your motor vehicles at the local county clerk's office. Interestingly enough, it cost me more money to obtain a driver license ($48 for a Real ID that is valid for eight years) than to reregister and retitle my vehicle in the state ($21 for tags + $7.00 for title + $5.00 for inspection).

Don't get me started on motor vehicle insurance premium rates out here, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky