Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 05:31 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,309,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
^In Frankfort they are talking about lowering and getting rid of state income tax, but if they do they are considering raising the sales tax, from what I understand. So you are right, they get their money one way or the other.

I know Tennessee and Florida charge no state income tax, so it can be done, but I have heard that they just raise the sales tax to make up for it. I would imagine Florida and Tennessee make a lot more money through tourism than we do too, though.
To be fair the state income tax has already started to be reduced. The goal is to reduce the state income tax .5 percent per year until it is gone. Many see this as a way to compete with TN for new businesses and make KY more desirable for retirees and others. The sales tax percentage is not being raised. They are merely adding things, mostly services which weren't previously taxed at all. Things like tattoos, cosmetic surgery, increased tax on new utility meters. The sales tax percentage on buying basic goods was not changed by the state. If you paid 6% sales tax 3 years ago when you bought a TV, you would still pay 6% today. I believe the state currently has a good size surplus in revenues.
There's a list of services available online that are currently taxed which previously were not, if anyone cares to see it.

Last edited by marino760; 04-26-2023 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 02:28 PM

28,958 posts, read 30,307,663 times
I paid $419.00 here in BG, and some change on mine last year. It's 3 years old, but I believe that's awful high....

I'd rather pay for inspection and emissions as we did in PA as it's a lot cheaper

Old 06-17-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
^In Frankfort they are talking about lowering and getting rid of state income tax, but if they do they are considering raising the sales tax, from what I understand. So you are right, they get their money one way or the other.

I know Tennessee and Florida charge no state income tax, so it can be done, but I have heard that they just raise the sales tax to make up for it. I would imagine Florida and Tennessee make a lot more money through tourism than we do too, though.
PA has one of the highest Sales Tax on Gasoline in the country....and they claim every year, it's for bridge and road repair, but you wouldn't believe the pot holes you have to dodge so you don't wreck your car....all they do is overlay blacktop, they actually do not repair roads, but people don't know what's involved in digging up a road and repairing, so they are robbing the people blind, and with all the roads crumbling underneath they are going to have a tough time repairing them all one day.

Old 06-17-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
You made me curious, so I had to google it.
From what I can tell online it says that

26 states charge vehicle property taxes, 23 states do not charge vehicle property taxes

We paid no where near 400 dollars in vehicle tax and registration, we only paid 220 for both cars.
Of course our cars are not even remotely fancy or new!
what are the years of your cars that you paid 400 for?

I paid over 400 for my one car?

Old 06-17-2023, 02:43 PM

14,787 posts, read 8,129,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
what are the years of your cars that you paid 400 for?

I paid over 400 for my one car?

You must be rich! I guess the key is in being poor and/or having older less expensive cars!

We have old cars!
We paid for a 19 year old Grand Marquis and a 2019 Chevy Cruze.
They may not be the fanciest, but hey they are all paid for and get you to where you need to be!

It's weird. I get groceries delivered, today the guy who delivered groceries from walmart had a Tesla 3.
And in the past another one was driving a new BMW.
The delivery driver from Krogers only had a late model Mercedes!
I am retired now, evidently I worked in the wrong places when I worked, lol!

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 06-17-2023 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-17-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
You must be rich! I guess the key is in being poor and/or having older less expensive cars!

We have old cars!
They may not be the fanciest, but hey they are all paid for and get you to where you need to be!

It's weird. I get groceries delivered, today the guy who delivered groceries from walmart had a Tesla 3.
I had to get another car in 2000 so I bought one during the pandemic, they were a little cheaper then but the car tax on it made me think again for next time, although Hopefully this car will be it for me

Old 07-03-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:

no matter what, they get you in some way shape or form...but I will say this...BG's roads are excellent, compared to PA's Roads....BG does a great job with filling in any pot holes, of which there are very few....

btw, do you drive a car that says Crazee Cat Lady? I saw one on Scottsville Rd. the other day and wondered if it was you. lol

Old 07-09-2023, 04:36 PM

70 posts, read 74,458 times
Quote:
PA has one of the highest Sales Tax on Gasoline in the country....and they claim every year, it's for bridge and road repair, but you wouldn't believe the pot holes you have to dodge so you don't wreck your car....all they do is overlay blacktop, they actually do not repair roads, but people don't know what's involved in digging up a road and repairing, so they are robbing the people blind, and with all the roads crumbling underneath they are going to have a tough time repairing them all one day.
You are so right about PA. I myself is born and raised in Pittsburgh. My husband and I both moved to West Ohio to get away from city life, also cost of living in Ohio is so much cheaper. Whenever I go home to visit it is terrible. My brother in law and his family came up to stay with us in May for my father in law's hospice so they can be with him when he passed. All 3 of my BIL adult kids was in a wake up call when they went food shopping compared to New Jersey.

Old 07-09-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:

We have old cars!

can you tell me, how do they figure the yearly charge for your car? Do you know?

My son also told me, the older your car is, the less you pay for the tax at the end of the year? But how do they scale the charges on them?

Old 07-09-2023, 08:27 PM

14,787 posts, read 8,129,079 times
Quote:
can you tell me, how do they figure the yearly charge for your car? Do you know?

My son also told me, the older your car is, the less you pay for the tax at the end of the year? But how do they scale the charges on them?

^I have actually always thought they have seemed high.They use NADA (To whom the state pays $124,000 for their 'annual subscription.' And yes it is based on the actual value NADA places on your vehicle.

WHAS in Louisville did some investigating reporting on it, you can read their results here:

Quote:
BREAKING DOWN OUR INVESTIGATION

HOW YOUR CAR VALUE IS DETERMINED

The Kentucky Department of Revenue pays NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) to provide it with an annual list of assessments for each vehicle registered in the commonwealth.

NADA is one of several services car dealers, and in this case state government, can use to determine vehicle values.

The Kentucky Department of Revenue is required by the Commonwealth Constitution Section 172 to assess property tax "at its fair cash value, estimated at the price it would bring at a fair voluntary sale".

NADA’s “Clean Trade-In” value is the standard the state uses to tax.

That value is also used to generate taxes on the local level, including county, school and emergency services taxes.

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/...9-f659fe5cda6d
^That is an excerpt from the article, you can read the whole article at the link at the bottom. It's a very interesting article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky