Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 05:21 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times

Advertisements

^
Entirely incorrect to use this insanely warm winter in the Ohio Valley as a "typical" example of what an outsider might expect to see so very disingenuous at best. Louisville also is generally much warmer than other areas due to excessive asphalt and concrete.

OP- a typical winter in the Lexington, Frankfort, or Covington area will see high temperatures mostly between 25-45F every day with cloudy skies around 75% of all winter days. Snowfall is around 10-22 inches per season. During the summer, you really don't want to live in Louisville as it has horrific levels of heat and humidity with one of the worst urban heat islands around, meaning the temperature never cools off at night. Another problematic element is the very heavy amounts of rainfall that often occurs here. I've seen years with 60-70'' of rain a year that causes all kinds of issues. I'm headed back to a smaller city in the northern US in the near future, the main advantages of the Ohio Valley is the cost of living, and the easy ability to invest and save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 06:25 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,074,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
OP- a typical winter in the Lexington, Frankfort, or Covington area will see high temperatures mostly between 25-45F every day with cloudy skies around 75% of all winter days. Snowfall is around 10-22 inches per season. During the summer, you really don't want to live in Louisville as it has horrific levels of heat and humidity with one of the worst urban heat islands around, meaning the temperature never cools off at night. Another problematic element is the very heavy amounts of rainfall that often occurs here. I've seen years with 60-70'' of rain a year that causes all kinds of issues. I'm headed back to a smaller city in the northern US in the near future, the main advantages of the Ohio Valley is the cost of living, and the easy ability to invest and save money.
Correction. During the summer YOU don't want to live in Louisville due to the heat and humidity levels. Some of us prefer it lol. Please stop projecting your personal preferences as the benchmark of humanity and speaking for the rest of us.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Correction. During the summer YOU don't want to live in Louisville due to the heat and humidity levels. Some of us prefer it lol. Please stop projecting your personal preferences as the benchmark of humanity and speaking for the rest of us.
Oh, so you find 85-90F at 10-11 PM in the summer is acceptable to most people? I think not. It is not exaggeration that the urban heat island of Louisville is excessive and dangerous.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Oh, so you find 85-90F at 10-11 PM in the summer is acceptable to most people? I think not. It is not exaggeration that the urban heat island of Louisville is excessive and dangerous.
Most people can speak for themselves. You're moving to Northern Wisconsin to escape heat/humidity which most people aren't exactly doing either. All I'm asking is for you to stop hijacking every thread by oppressively pushing your personal preferences as a societal bench mark. After the last few years we get it. Your compulsory need to relentlessly convey your one dimensional viewpoint is an internal personal issue, not a public service announcement.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:03 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
^
Entirely incorrect to use this insanely warm winter in the Ohio Valley as a "typical" example of what an outsider might expect to see so very disingenuous at best. Louisville also is generally much warmer than other areas due to excessive asphalt and concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Allow me to second mjlo. Just because you don’t the weather doesn’t mean the rest of the population doesn’t. Kentucky is a gorgeous state with four seasons.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:47 AM

327 posts, read 223,304 times
Quote:
^

In the Ohio River Valley, there are plenty of days during the summertime with high temperatures in the 82-87F range and low-to-moderate humidity levels, which most Americans find rather pleasant, especially as it relates to the enjoyment of outdoor activities.

There is no denying the fact that Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio are significantly less humid than the East Coast states, including Connecticut, and have a more prominent dry season that spans from early August to early November. While Kentucky may be rainier in the winter and early spring, Connecticut and Rhode Island are rainier in the late spring and summer, which is far worse, in my opinion.

Also, by the first or second week of August, a chill enters the air in southern New England, especially in the coastal areas. I berthed a boat in Rhode Island for years, and after August 5 or so, you needed to wear warm clothes while out on Narragansett Bay. By comparison, Kentucky is subject to warm-to-hot weather for another two months (beyond that point).

Old 02-27-2023, 10:00 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
I have to agree with the others. This thread wasn't about living within Louisville city limits. Parts of KY do have summer high averages at about 85-86 degrees during the day with night time averages in the upper 60s on many nights. I live in NE KY on the Ohio River about half way between Covington and Ashland and I don't even keep my air on at night but just use a ceiling fan on low even in July and August.
I'm not trying to be critical of your posts regarding KY, but anyone can go back and see you consistently and constantly can't find anything positive to say at all regarding the state. You do have some kind of chip on your shoulder regarding KY for whatever reason but of course you are entitled to your opinion biased as it is.

Last edited by marino760; 02-27-2023 at 10:12 AM..

Old 02-27-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I have to agree with the others. This thread wasn't about living within Louisville city limits. Parts of KY do have summer high averages at about 85-86 degrees during the day with night time averages in the upper 60s on many nights. I live in NE KY on the Ohio River about half way between Covington and Ashland and I don't even keep my air on at night but just use a ceiling fan on low even in July and August.
I'm not trying to be critical of your posts regarding KY, but anyone can go back and see you consistently and constantly can't find anything positive to say at all regarding the state. You do have some kind of chip on your shoulder regarding KY for whatever reason but of course you are entitled to your opinion biased as it is.
Yes, I will agree that Mayville area is infinitely more tolerable in terms of summer temperatures as it actually cools off much of the time after sunset. The difference is night and day compared to Louisville.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:32 AM

To be fair I'm not trying to down play the summer heat in Louisville. On average it is upper 80s/low 90s and humid. It is not worse than many places south that are growing much faster. I spend way to much time in Florida and Georgia year round to have illusions that Louisville is somehow worse than that. For my personal preferences I like heat. I've always liked warmer weather. I'm the weirdo running through the Highlands at 6pm when it's 93 degrees out. I'll sit out on my patio and soak it up. Something about the evenings, I just love it.

I actually come from the upper Midwest, and I know those winters and springs quite well. Summers are absolutely magical but they just go by so quick. I much prefer Louisville's milder winters and early springs to waiting until mid-April/May for a true break in the cold/cloudy.

I also know Kentucky summers aren't for everyone, I don't begrudge anyone their preferences. Though from my perspective most folks aren't hardy enough to power through a lake effect, or upper peninsula winter regardless of their tolerance for heat/humidity. What I try to avoid is hyperbolic language that takes realities to the extreme, or unintentionally convey my impressions as a matter fact, instead of my own personal opinions.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:57 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,883,070 times
If I hated where I live as much as some people on here say they do...I'd be on my bloody hands and knees right about now crossing the Brent Spence Bridge.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky