Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 03:59 PM

11 posts, read 18,483 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I will be posting this thread in the NC and GA forums as well.

My wife and I are looking for our forever home to finish growing old, and die. We are currently are in our late 40's, and just need a reprieve from this bat **** crazy world. I wont get to detailed here, but we are staunch Trump Supporters, but we don't judge anyone else's way of thinking and or life choices. I am a retired Law Enforcement, and Veteran, and my wife works from home. We are looking for a smaller town to retire too. Lets be real, I don't care about diversity, I care about quality of life, pride of ownership and safety. I hate big cities and crowded areas. We want to be close enough to the amenities, but far out enough to get away from the rat race. We use the "Costco" rule. Meaning, we like to be within at least an hour of Costco and 20-30 minutes from grocery shopping, i.e WalMart etc......

We have to have high speed internet, so other than Starlink, we need Hard lined speeds, at least 50 mbs down and 15 mbs up, No satellite. We have lived on large acreage (over 100 +), and small acreage (under 1 acre). We prefer something in the middle, maybe at least 2 acres min so I can put a shop if needed and I can shoot. Established neighborhoods over new construction is preferred. We want to be around like minded people, and want to blend into our community not change it. We have lived in CA, ID, VA, and Upper Pen MI.

Prefer lees exposure to tornados, but we understand it comes with the territory. When your time comes, the Lord is taking your ass no matter where you are.

We love the outdoors, but don't need to be in the boondocs. If you can afford us any incite on some areas that would be awesome. We are taking a impromptu road trip next week to buy a vehicle in NC. So we figured we would kill a few birds with one stone, and extend the trip to look into potential areas to call home.

Any help, is greatly appreciated.

I know some of you may attempt to troll this post, and I say go for it. There's a reason we have free speech, and I am wise enough to just ignore you anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 04:46 PM

14,763 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Hi! Welcome to the Kentucky thread here at City-Data!
Here is my two cents worth!

TORNADOES

You can be hit with tornado's in any part of Kentucky, but the Western part of the state is especially prone to them, or at least it would Seem.
COSTCO

The only Costco's in Kentucky are in Louisville, Lexington, and Florence..so you would need to be

in those area's...Nashville has Costco's, and is an hour or a little over an hour away from Bowling Green...there might be more, but these are what I am aware of. But there are many small towns near the bigger cities like Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati, and Nashville.
You mentioned Wal-mart sometimes you can find them in much smaller towns or cities.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET
Not all small towns have high speed internet so this can be tricky.

I am not for sure if it is true or not, but have heard you can move to smaller towns or rural areas as long as there is a University nearby, they need high speed internet to function properly usually. (I have no idea if this is true or not, but it kind of makes sense.)

Old 05-16-2022, 05:46 PM

11 posts, read 18,483 times
Thank you for your reply Cat Lady. Great info, much appreciated.

Any incite on Shelbyville KY?

Got a PM, and they stated it might be what I am looking for.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:13 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I'll just tell you where I moved to because I had some if not most of the same wants as you. I was sick of the crime, tired of the traffic, and felt like the only republican in a sea of liberal democrats before I moved.
It's not a tiny town but a small city by KY standards with a population of 8900 called Maysville in NE KY. Both Lexington and Cincinnati are a little over an hours drive and the drive to Lexington is quite lovely on a clean well maintained highway through farm country. One could say the town borders both the Blue Grass region and Appalachia.
I have high speed internet, no problem at all. The tornado risk is less than in western KY but of course will always exist.

The town itself has a large Kroger, Walmart and Lowes. There is also a 100 room hospital and technical/junior college. The old historic downtown is located on the Ohio River and it also has a small Amtrak station. I purchased my house in this area of town.
Over the hills on the other side of town there is newer construction, lots of old farms and farmland and is quite rural. The terrain is mostly gently rolling hills and is beautiful green with creeks running through many parts.

There is some petty crime here, some poverty, some drug abuse but nothing like where I came from in CA. No place is perfect, but I really like it here and a year later, I have no regrets in choosing this place to spend the rest of my life. I feel very safe here and have no problem walking anywhere alone day or night.

There's a former law enforcement officer from CA who moved here a couple of years ago. We have become pretty good friends. He and his wife now own one of the little mom and pop stores downtown and they also bought a farm with some acreage outside of town. They tell me it's the best thing they've ever done and have no regrets. It's exactly the life he wanted after a very stressful career.
I'm just telling you all this because maybe you would like to check it out.

I took this picture a couple of years ago on my first visit to Maysville. Nothing has changed except I now live just down the street from here.

Last edited by marino760; 05-16-2022 at 07:07 PM..

Old 05-16-2022, 06:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I'd lean towards eastern Central KY and adjacent areas of the Appalachians, like I-64 to the east of Lexington. Bluegrass region has towns with more older homes and quaint downtown areas. Mt Sterling is a quaint town in the Bluegrass but with mountains within site. Between Mt Sterling and Lexington is Winchester which has 15k people and a decent amount of shopping and restaurants.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:03 PM

14,763 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:

A friend of mine use to live there and really loved it.

Shelbyville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy5hgZPuks

So many cute small towns that are safe or at relatively so.

Versailles

Midway

Bardstown

Paris

Owensboro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olG9RZVKQG0

Old 05-16-2022, 09:22 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discosupafly_2022 View Post

Honestly, Shelbyville has a huge Hispanic population; I'm sure many undocumented. Not sure how a staunch conservative would feel about that; possibly triggered... If all you want is a quiet small town, there are many (others) to choose from. I would look more toward Danville, Richmond, Nicholasville, Paris. I would also add... Kentucky is SUPER hot and humid in the summer; I hope you like that weather!

Last edited by otterhere; 05-16-2022 at 09:36 PM..

Old 05-17-2022, 03:59 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Crazee Cat Lady, there's a Costco in Evansville, Indiana to that could cover part of western Ky.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:27 AM

21 posts, read 33,784 times
south central
columbia and the surrounding areas

Old 07-15-2022, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Kentucky is SUPER hot and humid in the summer; I hope you like that weather!
Are you familiar with the weather here in FL? If so, how does the humidity/heat compare to down here? From what I understand, Kentucky has more seasonal weather, so the summers aren’t as long which sounds kinda nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky