Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 12:56 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times

Advertisements

We've had heat indices of between 100-110 for several weeks. It cooled off a tiny bit but weatherman says we're in for several more weeks of the hot stuff. Causing drought conditions in the western part of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 03:50 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Summers where I live are basically about 3 -3.5 months long and temps are often a few degrees cooler than the western and southern part of the state. I'm happy with that.

As an example as I write this actual temps are

Maysville 86
Paducah 92
Bowling Green 89

I've lived in south Florida. There is no comparison. If people think KY is horribly hot and humid, they haven't traveled much in the southern states close to the Gulf.

Last edited by marino760; 07-15-2022 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-17-2022, 05:14 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,780 times
Back about 10 years ago when I kept a house in Owen County (0wenton is the county seat) one of the County Sheriff’s Deputies told me there only two thieves in the county. You might want to check with his office to see if it is still that way. Rural, not that far from the capital city of Frankfort.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:41 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,866,682 times
Maysville sounds pretty nice.

How are the public schools in the area?

Old 07-22-2022, 02:09 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Maysville sounds pretty nice.

How are the public schools in the area?
Honestly, I have no idea. It's something you'll have to do some research on. I'm retired so that was never a real consideration for me. The schools are newer and there is a good size Irish community here and a large historic Roman Catholic Church and school. I know many do send their kids there and that school has a very good reputation, but not sure about public schools.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:32 PM

19 posts, read 29,254 times
Union KY is a great place to live... near Cincinnati and the airport, and a lot of development is going on here.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 722 times
Was raised in KY, after graduating college moved to Palm Beach County,, Fl lived there 40+ years. Moved back to Ky 5 years ago to Lexington. As far as being hot and humid, it is nothing like South Fl. Doesn't bother me. Lex has UK, so many cultural events, lots to do, small towns to explore. Affordable housing; the house I bought would have been at least a million dollars more in Palm Beach County. Access to good health care, close proximity to Cincinnati airport and Louisville airport, plus Lexington airport. Winters are mild. People are somewhat friendly.. I will say that there are not alot of active older people here, at least I havent found them. 60+ looks and acts elderly here. Consequently most of my friends are younger than I am. Costco, walmart Kroger plus all the national high end groceries are here. Good food scene. Internet, never a problem. I would think long and hard about moving to a small town.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:16 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Kentucky as a retirement mecca?!? Okay...

Old 08-16-2022, 06:23 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,656 times
We are active seniors, nearly 70 years old, and we are most likely moving to eastern Kentucky next year. [son lives there] I love living in a small town but love the fact that lexingon is only a couple hours drive away.

We visited the last part of July. When I go on vacation I tend to stay away from any news so the flash flooding was a major surprise to me. I had heard that kentucky rainstorms are wild compared to Colorado's so at first as I watched the pouring rain I had no idea that I was watching an incredibly dangerous, destructive and disastrous tragedy.

The next day we were able to help bring food to stranded senior citizens and they were the nicest people I ever met. Everyone I met in Kentucky, actually, were nice.

My son's property is raised enough that it received no damage but 20 miles away wasmassive destruction.

The main reason that we chose to visit when we did is because we wanted to see if the heat and humidity would be too much for us. It was super hot and humid at my son's house, but he has good air conditioning and a liitle pool in the backyard [not built in] which made it manageable.

I had been complaining about the heat in Colorado before we visited Kentucky. I assumed when I got home that the colorado heat wouldn't bother me. but it did. And I couldn't figure it out.

Then it hit me that I was more miserable in Colorado than Kentucky because here at my home in Colorado we have no air conditioning and no pool in the backyard[ couldn't put one here because we live in the mountains on the side of a mountain]

Still hoping to move to Eastern Kentucky. Beforehand though we will buy a pool, an air conditioner, a dehumidifier and a generator.[ when the electricity went out for a day my son reemberred that he needed a part for his generator.

Still sounds like a retirement mecca to me.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:31 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,093 times
^^^

Another potential Colorado refugee here. Sounds like you are putting some energy and plenty of thought into your upcoming move to Kentucky. I hope it works out well for you and best of luck!

I have been contemplating moving back to the town where my branch of the family has roots - Richmond. I do worry if I can adapt to the humidity after such a long time in Colorado, so I'm going to have to come out in the summer myself and see if I think I can acclimate.

I am so fed up with on-going, terrible drought and summers filled with wildfires here in Colorado. Going back to Kentucky to live out my final years is sounding better and better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky