Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 12:18 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

There is so much I love about Kentucky basically it's a friendly state, hospitable, the climate in BG is so much milder, but the traffic is horrendous, as so many people are moving to the area....the summers are very hot and last well into October with the humidity, but, would much rather have it that way, then the below zero weather and snow back east.

The roads are maintained to perfectly here, you don't have to dodge pot holes....and the peole are friendly, although you still do have a culture of Red Necks....and they love their loud cars and trucks...sheesh....but for the most part, Bowling Green is a nice area growing quickly.

And boy to people love to go out to eat here....all the places are packed for breakfast, lunch and dinners....sometimes an hour or more wait.

One thing that I don't like and many people do complain about here in BG are the restaurants....wow, what horrible food....and very unhealthy....these people do not know what good restaurant food it. The culture has not changed with the times when it comes to restaurants and diners....and I believe a lot of the so called diners are owned by people who did not go to culinary school. (I'm not sure)

You walk into a diner and the choices for a dinner are only 3 meals written on a blackboard...most of the food here is fast food places....with a few diners and restaurants which are not that good.. They have a salad works here which is pitiful...ate there once, will not go back.

The appitizers are a joke....we went to one restaurant, which was supposed to be a higher end Greek themed restaurant, and we ordered calamari, for one of our appetizers, very few calamari on it, and they put french fries on it????? They didn't serve you anything else between and no bread....

On most menus the appitizers are few and far between, not to mention, who wants french fries or brussel spouts for an appetizer?

Everything is fried, fried and more fried....I took my kids out to dinner Sat. night and ordered rabbit, awful....my kids ordered Gnocchi, and we could not finish it, way to rich with butter and sauces....
and that was one of the finer restaurants....they served one small leg of rabbit on a large bed of rissoto, with a very very rich sauce....

The other two ordered salmon which I believe they were pleased with...

I tell you, if someone came here and opened a diner, that was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a back east flar, they'd make a killing....

The restaurant food here is awful...no lie, and I'm not fussy, but they do not offer good menus. NOw the steak places are great, all of them....but who wants steak all the time...?

You can never buy great appetizers, some offer potato soup, but not much else in the way of soups....

My gosh, there are places back home that serve good soups, like beef barley, chicken noodle, vegatable soup....and yes, we have a panara bread, but their soups are limited as well...

We do have two good places that made a great pho soup....but even Chinese food is horrible here...their idea of fried rice is rice mixed with just a few vegatables?

My son ordered a philly cheese steak, and asked the waitress if it was a real philly cheese steak and she said "oh yeah", and I asked him, did you ask her if she'd ever been to philly? it same out with large cubes of steak in a roll??????

Pizza here leaves a lot to be desired as well....Bowling Green needs some really great back east diners....

You can't even buy good Italian steak rolls here...it's sad....they love their fried cat fish here though....wow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 09:46 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,385 times
So much I could say, just sheesh...

Old 02-01-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
So much I could say, just sheesh...

you can take offense, and I apologize that you do, this wasn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings, it was hopefully meant to make some changes....unless you've lived out in the east and eaten in Philly, New York and other PA Dutch restaurants, you won't know what I'm talking about....which is diversity.

Do you know Kentucky stands at the top of the list for obesity...why does everything have to be fried, or have gravy on it....why would you serve French fries for an appetizer....

Rafertys and the other steak houses are great, and serve a good meal, but the rest of them, not so much.
I paid 22.00 for one small rabbit leg, over risotto, hoping to finally have a great meal....it was one small rabbit leg, with some wine sauce over top that was hugely rich, too rich to finish...why not broiled rabbit...served with butter on the side...?

See, I've worked in the food service for years, and worked for a chef that cooked for a king in England, and some finer places along with a lot of diners....

I know for a fact if someone from back east would come out here and open a restaurant, or diner, they'd make a killing....

They need to get creative and serve some broiled or boiled foods, put meat loaf on the menu, along with broiled chicken, baked chickens, liver, maybe some saute's veggies, and stir fries....some liver and onions, and a great assortment of appetizers...instead of French Fries....geeze louise...it's no wonder everyone is over weight....fried chicken, fried chicken steak with gravy....fried pickels, what about some country swiss steak, or this.....

I'm a foodie, and I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or put anyone on the defense, but something has to change....Bowling Green, loves to eat out....and they have got to overcome fast food places....and start cooking with some more creative dishes like broiled fish or broiled seafood platter, broiled haddock with crabemeat....

I apologize if your offended, this is meant to spark change hopefully....
Bowling Green, has a whole lot to offer....
I was told by a lot of locals that everyone goes to Nashville to eat? Why would you pay those kind of prices for a home cooked meal? Plus drive an hour down 65?

What about Pork, Sauerkraut and Mashed potatos, lima beans, pickled beats, corn, green beans?

If I were younger, I'd open a diner....but I'm way too old to do so now....

and car prices are outrageous here, it would be much cheapter to buy a car in the east and drive it back home to here.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 02-01-2022 at 08:31 AM..

Old 02-01-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you can take offense, and I apologize that you do, this wasn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings, it was hopefully meant to make some changes....unless you've lived out in the east and eaten in Philly, New York and other PA Dutch restaurants, you won't know what I'm talking about....which is diversity.

Do you know Kentucky stands at the top of the list for obesity...why does everything have to be fried, or have gravy on it....why would you serve French fries for an appetizer....

Rafertys and the other steak houses are great, and serve a good meal, but the rest of them, not so much.
I paid 22.00 for one small rabbit leg, over risotto, hoping to finally have a great meal....it was one small rabbit leg, with some wine sauce over top that was hugely rich, too rich to finish...why not broiled rabbit...served with butter on the side...?

See, I've worked in the food service for years, and worked for a chef that cooked for a king in England, and some finer places along with a lot of diners....

I know for a fact if someone from back east would come out here and open a restaurant, or diner, they'd make a killing....

They need to get creative and serve some broiled or boiled foods, put meat loaf on the menu, along with broiled chicken, baked chickens, liver, maybe some saute's veggies, and stir fries....some liver and onions, and a great assortment of appetizers...instead of French Fries....geeze louise...it's no wonder everyone is over weight....fried chicken, fried chicken steak with gravy....fried pickels, what about some country swiss steak, or this.....

I'm a foodie, and I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or put anyone on the defense, but something has to change....Bowling Green, loves to eat out....and they have got to overcome fast food places....and start cooking with some more creative dishes like broiled fish or broiled seafood platter, broiled haddock with crabemeat....

I apologize if your offended, this is meant to spark change hopefully....
Bowling Green, has a whole lot to offer....
I was told by a lot of locals that everyone goes to Nashville to eat? Why would you pay those kind of prices for a home cooked meal? Plus drive an hour down 65?

What about Pork, Sauerkraut and Mashed potatos, lima beans, pickled beats, corn, green beans?

If I were younger, I'd open a diner....but I'm way too old to do so now....

and car prices are outrageous here, it would be much cheapter to buy a car in the east and drive it back home to here.

Oh, honey I'm not offended...I'm more amused. I've heard the "obesity" thing (and much more) for many years and, while two wrongs don't make a right, I do get out of this holler from time to time and I assure you "obesity" exist everywhere in great quantities.

Your not in Kansas anymore ToTo.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Oh, honey I'm not offended...I'm more amused. I've heard the "obesity" thing (and much more) for many years and, while two wrongs don't make a right, I do get out of this holler from time to time and I assure you "obesity" exist everywhere in great quantities.

Your not in Kansas anymore ToTo.

Well darlin, the obesity thing has been on spectrum news. But it's so much more than that.
As for your insulting comment, I've visited and lived in several different states all over the country and am quite Sure this isn't Kansas.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:44 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Dang…. Bowling Green has so much better restaurant options than where I live. We sometimes go to Bowling Green for the greater food options. I guess the adage all things are relative is true. Lol.

No, you aren’t likely to find much culinary trained fine dining in Bowling Green, the community can’t sustain it, especially with Nashville in easy commute with no shortage of those options for an occasional treat. The truth is most people looking for normal dining out gravitate to where what they consider comfort food is served. I have definitely found that in Kentucky that translates into something quite different than what was available in Northern Virginia. I know if I want dining options similar to what I found in NoVa I have to head north on I-65 and do the hour drive to Louisville. It is what it is.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Well darlin, the obesity thing has been on spectrum news. But it's so much more than that.
As for your insulting comment, I've visited and lived in several different states all over the country and am quite Sure this isn't Kansas.
Sweet heart, it wasn't meant to be insulting...you just chose for it to be.

Bless your heart!

Old 02-01-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Dang…. Bowling Green has so much better restaurant options than where I live. We sometimes go to Bowling Green for the greater food options. I guess the adage all things are relative is true. Lol.

No, you aren’t likely to find much culinary trained fine dining in Bowling Green, the community can’t sustain it, especially with Nashville in easy commute with no shortage of those options for an occasional treat. The truth is most people looking for normal dining out gravitate to where what they consider comfort food is served. I have definitely found that in Kentucky that translates into something quite different than what was available in Northern Virginia. I know if I want dining options similar to what I found in NoVa I have to head north on I-65 and do the hour drive to Louisville. It is what it is.
yes your right, it is what it is, however, I'm not looking for fine dining, I'm looking for meals at a diner....Let me show you what I mean...

Just ot give you an idea, These are their daily specials, this is not the full menu, and their specials change every day....
Twice a month they serve roast turkey and filling with a choice of 2 veggies

most of their platters have a choice of 2 veggies...
HOMEMADE CHICKEN PIE

fresh roasted chicken, peas & carrots in a creamy chicken sauce topped w/our homemade pie crust & served w/ 2 vegetables

BROILED SHRIMP CAKES

served with two vegetables

CHICKEN ROMANO

parmesan encrusted chicken, topped w/ asparagus, red peppers, onions & fresh garlic over pasta in a creamy Parmesan cheese sauce w/1 vegetable

BRAISED BEEF & FRESH MUSHROOMS

over Noodles with 2 vegetables

PORK, SAUERKRAUT & MASHED POTATOES

CRISPY FRIED FLOUNDER

breaded in Panko bread crumbs & served w/ 2 vegetables

FRESH APPLE & CHICKEN SALAD

a sautéed grilled chicken breast atop a bed of mixed greens ,tossed w/ fresh sliced apples, walnuts, cheddar cheese, crumbled fresh bacon, cranberry raisins, tomatoes, crouton & choice of dressing

GRILLED HAMBURGER STEAK

topped with fried onions, fresh sautéed mushrooms & our beef gravy served with 2 vegetables

CHICKEN CROQUETTES

breaded in panko bread crumbs, fried and topped with our homemade turkey gravy. served with 2 vegetables

Now remember, this is simply their specials for today, tomorrow they will change, plus you have the full menu to choose from with liver and onions, meat loaf, broiled fish of several kinds, steaks, fried and broiled seafood platters...Deviled Crab, Chicken and veal, pork loin, pork chops, etc....just to name a few, an again, this is a diner, not a high end restaurant.....Veal Parmasian, Chicken Parmasian, spagetti and meat balls, lasgna...plus an assortment of salads. Plus.....Hot Turkey and Hot Beef Sandwiches...meat between 2 pieces of bread and smothered with beef or chicken gravy. Kelbasie and cabbage

Daily Veggies
Pickled Beets/Apple Sauce/ Tossed Salad/ Cole Slaw/ Mashed Potatoes/ Baked Beans/ French Fries/ Cottage Cheese-Apple Butter/ Cucumber Salad/ Macaroni Salad/ Pickled Cabbage

SPECIALTY VEGETABLES
These change daily.
Macaroni & Cheese - French Fried Sweet Potatoes - Buttered Peas - Stewed Tomatoes- Creamed Corn, cabbage and noodles...

And all of our Diners out there in Southeastern PA are like this...Daily specials, at least 5 and then their main menu items....every day....
This diner I speak of is similar to O'Charley's.

If you ever get out there, let me know and I'd be happy to refer you to some....

Oh and I forgot, out there we have salad bars and buffets, and the Chinese food is to die for...really good...
Ethnic foods galore, and then of course fast food, which I'm not fond of.

I am hoping with more and more people moving into Bowling Green, it slowly changes, and more privet diners are opened up by people from the east....

if they did, they'd be busy all day long....oh, and most places around here are only open until 2 p.m. ????
There are locals that live here that say the same thing that I do...many of them...I hate driving 65, but used to go to Nashville whenever I came out to visit...back then it wasn't so expensive.

I believe the best is O'Charleys and Cheddars....or the Hot Plate, but again, the HOt Plate has a limited menu, on a chalk board on the wall, maybe 2 or 3 cooked meals. But good. It seems like the closer you get to Franklin, the more diners there are? Not sure?

Thank you for taking the time to discuss....appreciate it....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 02-01-2022 at 07:56 PM..

Old 02-01-2022, 07:51 PM

I want to apologize to the locals of Bowling Green, I mean no insult to anyone, honestly I don't.

I was and still am shocked at the limited menus and diners in the area, most of them are fast food establishments...and since I've always been a foodie, waited tables, managed a kitchen back east, I was in complete shock...and still am...and I've been here 2.5 years....

I'm sure, since this town is growing so fast, there will be changes...and new diners will open...I love to go to fine dining places once in a while, but love diner food the best along with PA Dutch food...buffets, and salad bars.

the old saying, "you don't know what you had until it's gone, is so true."

Oh what I'd do for a Philly Cheese steak. lol

Old 02-08-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

honestly, I'm not looking for fine dining, and normal dining is actually what I prefer....and yes, driving to Nashville is what a lot of people do, but I'm not fond of driving on 65....and everything there is mostly fine dining. We used to go there a lot, before one of our favorite restaurants was destroyed in the bombing.

I'm looking for a good diner, that offeres several options both in appitizers, entrees and desserts....the closest I've found to that is O'Charley's but even their menu is limited.
and I know it is what it is....I'm just really surprised that it isn't better, and btw, I've discussed this with many locals, doctors alike who agree....

take a look at this, and this is only one diner which I often frequented...all home cooking...but we have many diners like this back home. ONce in their website, click on Menus, then their daily specials, which changes every single day....they their desserts...

https://www.royanndiner.com/

I mean who wants french fries for an appetizer? We went to a fine dining restaurant, for a family dinner one night and one of the appetizers we ordered came with French fries? And who wants fast food all the time...personally I don't like it...

My grand daughter hopes with all the people moving into the area, that this will change, she loves to go back home just for the restaurants.
First time I took my Daughter in law to one of these diners, she was overwhelmed and couldn't believe the choices....

And heres the thing, people in Bowling Green love to eat out....places are packed breakfast lunch and dinner...the wait on a Sat. night starts at 1.5 hours at most places around 4 p.m.

If I were younger, I would open up a diner, from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. breakfast all the time, and have a menu that offered much much more.
But I'm way too old to work in the food service business any longer.

Restaurant businesses in Bowling Green could be so much more....and offer much healthier foods....

Don't get me wrong, I do like Raffertys and Montana Grill, they are very good, but diner food is our favorite...and most places close at 2 p.m., except for fast food businesses. Chinese food here is terrible...but there are 2 that offer a great Vietnamese Pho...

Last edited by cremebrulee; 02-08-2022 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky