Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 11:55 AM

643 posts, read 2,386,005 times

Advertisements

If dining out is important to you and you do not like the options in BG, why did you move to BG?

Reeks of "didn't like it where I came from, so I moved, and now I complain about the new place I live."

Some people are never happy wherever they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 12:26 PM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
If dining out is important to you and you do not like the options in BG, why did you move to BG?

Reeks of "didn't like it where I came from, so I moved, and now I complain about the new place I live."

I wasn't going to chime in but now I'm going to. I couldn't agree more. The topic is old but OP is still not done complaining about it. If having restaurants that suited my personal tastes and bank account were that important to me, I would have made that a top priority when choosing somewhere to live and if I had no choice but to live somewhere I certainly wouldn't go on and on in a negative way about the restaurants of all things.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:58 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post

see, instead of discussing this like an adult, people become offended right away and ask these kind of questions...

I loved where I came from

And I love the new place I live, I'm trying to raise awareness, because the food here is really bad...in hopes that people will speak up as I have...and help to make some changes....believe me, if I were young again, I'd surely open and run a diner...

again, most everyone I talk to who lives here say the same thing, even doctors I have discussed this with...but everyone is afraid to say anything for fear of hurting the locals feelings. As I have you and I am very sorry you took it personal.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I wasn't going to chime in but now I'm going to. I couldn't agree more. The topic is old but OP is still not done complaining about it. If having restaurants that suited my personal tastes and bank account were that important to me, I would have made that a top priority when choosing somewhere to live and if I had no choice but to live somewhere I certainly wouldn't go on and on in a negative way about the restaurants of all things.
I think I have said before, it's not about my bank account, it's about the quantity and selections of food

If you went back east and saw the selections, you'd be shocked...my son's girlfriend couldn't believe it the first time she came back east, before I moved here....

Making the restaurants a top priority wasn't even a thought upon moving here...but times are changing, and there are several large businesses moving here....bringing in transplants, so I'm hoping it will change in time.

I mean no insult and keep harping at this in hopes of being a voice for change...but there is a lot to love about Bowling Green as well, much potential here, great people, kind people, hospitable and fun....and I believe as more and more people move into this busy little city, others will come and open diners like back east, this is a melting pot now for good diners and restaurant food.

I know for a fact if a place opened up here like back east, they'd be busy all day, b/c people out here love to go out to eat....the waiting lines on Sat. nights is outrageous....and the traffic on Scottsville Rd. is grid locked....I was amazed at how many people love to eat out....

You should take a look at the example I've left below, maybe you'd understand better what I'm talking about....here it's all fried, fried chicken and catfish, biscuts and gravies...but no other real selections for apps, main dishes and desserts.

I've managed a kitchen and worked in some of the finer restraunts there, as well as a lot of diners, and love diner food...love to cook and am a real foodie...

This topic isn't that old...not like years ago...but I've been trying very hard to motivate, not insult.

Change comes from discussion and ideas, which are not meant to hurt or insult...

You go into an Italian place back east, you don't just get Pizza and subs....but you also have all the Italian dishes you could dream of, ravioli, ghnocci, lasagna, tortellini, etc...our pizza places are actually restaurants....

You haven't lived until you've had an authentic Philly Cheesesteak...they are amazing...when we'd go to Philly sometimes we'd go to one place for apps, another for a drink, another for an entree and another for dessert.

Again, I'm sorry I offended you, I really am....to understand what I'm trying to explain, is to personally love the culinary business, and to have worked it and experienced it back east in Philly and New York...they make it an art....and to understand please google the following diners and read their menus

Roy Ann Diner: Their soup and specials menu changes every single day, and take a look at the veggies they offer.

A&N Diner

GIOVANNI'S PIZZERIA: just take a gander at that menu from appetizers to desserts

John's Plain and Fancy Restaurant: this menu is extensive, plus they have a huge beautiful salad bar
plus a dessert case that would knock your socks off

There are no salad bars here, except for one small on in a steak house....

Back home they have salad bars in Grocery stores and I mean huge salad bars....

again, I am so sorry I've offended you, it wasn't meant to, much more to help grow the restaurant business....

]Alcamo Italian Restaurant & Brick Oven Pizza

and some finer dining as follows:

The Farmer's Daughter

City Tavern in Philly

and tons of restaurants that have salad bars....

Just please google these places so you can futher understand what I'm talking about and not trying to offend, maybe it will clear the air. HOpe so, again, apologize...

I'll shut up now

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-16-2022 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Please don’t use red font

Old 04-15-2022, 05:08 PM

643 posts, read 2,386,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
see, instead of discussing this like an adult, people become offended right away and ask these kind of questions...

I loved where I came from

And I love the new place I live, I'm trying to raise awareness, because the food here is really bad...in hopes that people will speak up as I have...and help to make some changes....believe me, if I were young again, I'd surely open and run a diner...

again, most everyone I talk to who lives here say the same thing, even doctors I have discussed this with...but everyone is afraid to say anything for fear of hurting the locals feelings. As I have you and I am very sorry you took it personal.
It has nothing to do with discussing like an adult; you present a condescending attitude towards the locals and their food.

This problem is better solved by partnering with local entrepreneurs who would open restaurants(s) more to your liking if a market analysis and business plan showed enough support for such restaurant(s).

You can't move to the middle of the country and expect dining experiences like you'd get in large metro areas.

Last edited by md21722; 04-15-2022 at 05:21 PM..

Old 04-15-2022, 07:44 PM

yes you are correct, Should have known better, sorry I didn't mean to be condescending to anyone...

Old 04-22-2022, 06:03 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Creme, have you been to Wild Eggs? I saw it on a Tripadvisor list. The menu and food pictures look really good.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Creme, have you been to Wild Eggs? I saw it on a Tripadvisor list. The menu and food pictures look really good.
no haven't had the chance, but have heard its a great breakfast place, a lot of people have said so, but I'm not a "going out to eat for breakfast type of person". I'd much rather do a platter, with vegtables, and meat. I'm so tired of fried everything...I do go to O'Charleys, The Bistro, Rafferty's who makes a great salad, Smokey Bones, and the many Mexican restaurants here...and they are great...double dogs and Montana Grill, Anna's, but the diners with a lot of choices, like Liver and onions, Meat loaf, Broiled seafood, broiled flounder, broiled crab cakes, pork loin, pork chops, hot turkey, beef or meat loaf sandwich, and great veggies, like green beans, picked beats, stewed tomatoes, buttered lima beans, corn, and a variety of soups, not just potato soup? Here the appitizers are limited and I don't know why? There are no salad bars except for the one steak place on Scottsville Rd. Back home there are huge salad bars in the grocery stores...not here...it's sad all the money these people are missing out on, by serving this and there are businesses moving in, which will be bringing in transplants as myself, who will also say the same as me, of which many have....

I know, I should come back home, and sure wish I could, as a foodie and someone who worked in food services for many years, have learned a lot, and if I were younger, believe me, I'd open a diner here, because there is a lot of money to be made....its one of the fastest growning country town in Kentucky....

I know I sound like a spoiled brat here to some locals on this site, but even the locals and doctors I speak with have started a conversation about how bad the food it here...my one doctor just went away for spring break and said how sensational the food was where they were...

Honestly don't mean to insult anyone, just trying to ignite a desire for better food and lots more choices...not chains, or fried chicken or catfish, or Mexican, which all are good...but....Locals that were born and raised here do not know what I'm talking about because they've never experienced it...and I mean that in all sincerely and not smuggly.

Thank you Gerania

Old 04-25-2022, 09:21 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Where did you move from, Yankee? Lol! Pennsylvania, right? Same here.

I seriously know what you're talking about. In the 1980s I married a guy who was employed by the Army and moved me to Fayetteville, North Carolina. Oh. My. Gosh. I guess that most of the old mom and pop places had closed by then. There were plenty of chain restaurants for the young guys. There was also a barbeque
place out in the county which reminded me of the Fried Green Tomatoes movie. I loved that place. I had discovered smoked meat and hush puppies! Just about everything else was a bust.

No pasties, poppy seed roll, pierogis, corned beef sandwiches or pickles from a barrel. Thankfully, finally, before I left there was a Japanese restaurant with great sushi, pizza made by two guys from New York and New Jersey, an English style pub with some decent food, and an upscale place, Trio. which looked very Northernish.
It was a vast improvement over the bad and chain restaurants that I found when I moved there.

Last edited by Gerania; 04-25-2022 at 09:38 PM..

Old 04-26-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Where did you move from, Yankee? Lol! Pennsylvania, right? Same here.

I seriously know what you're talking about. In the 1980s I married a guy who was employed by the Army and moved me to Fayetteville, North Carolina. Oh. My. Gosh. I guess that most of the old mom and pop places had closed by then. There were plenty of chain restaurants for the young guys. There was also a barbeque
place out in the county which reminded me of the Fried Green Tomatoes movie. I loved that place. I had discovered smoked meat and hush puppies! Just about everything else was a bust.

Years ago, Benetz Restaurant, used to have a wonderful Buffet on Sat nights, boy was it good and I loved to work it...also enjoyed working at Cabb Freys and Hotel Bethlehem, but am going back 30 to 40 some years...

No pasties, poppy seed roll, pierogis, corned beef sandwiches or pickles from a barrel. Thankfully, finally, before I left there was a Japanese restaurant with great sushi, pizza made by two guys from New York and New Jersey, an English style pub with some decent food, and an upscale place, Trio. which looked very Northernish.
It was a vast improvement over the bad and chain restaurants that I found when I moved there.
Hi, I used to live one Hour North of Philly after I moved back home from the Poconos. Boy they had some really great restaurants in the Poconos, in Stroudsburg, Tannersville, New Hope, etc. You cannot beat the Restaurants back east, PA, Philly and New York...wonderful! Used to love the City Tavern in Philly...was a nice change, and there are great Restaurants in Skippack and Phonexville...Just to name a few.

LOL, I bet some of the locals reading this thread have called me worse than Yankee.

Many years ago, I managed a kitchen in Macungie, and before that, waitressed in many different resturants since I was 15. Learned a lot about cooking, and let me tell you, if I were young, I'd open a diner here...there is big money to be made, on Sat. night you can't get into places, people love to eat out here...and there are people constantly moving in...this is a fast growing town. Incredibly fast, and within 5 years, I'm guessing, restrants will have begun to change, b/c people are moving in from all over the country, like CA, TN, MN, TX, so, I'm hoping it changes...

Heres what I think, and maybe I'm wrong, but in the Carolinas, Ohio which an ex boss told me was the same as here, I believe, that women who loved to cook, opened places, but never went to culinary schools...which is ok, What they make is good, but they cook the same thing day in and day out, and it's all fried foods, as described above, you walk into a diner and they list maybe 3 cooked meals on a blackboard, and that's it...

Chicken chains here are ridiculous, crazy...plus all your other chains....but even the better restaurants are just not the same as back east, very limited menus. And heres a surprise, very few places make green fried tomatoes, or perogies...and yes, not any pastrys, or pies, and even the Chinese food is not that good, their version of fried rice here is plain rice, nothing in it? I mean, I think the only soups they make are potato soup...there is no variety...like chicken noodle soup, french onion soup, ministrone, beef noodle, turkey noodle....oh, and in the stores, you cannot buy a whole Turkey year round?

Very few pies and cakes here for dessert....again, only a few...but thankfully they have cheesecake.

Back home, a variety of desserts are just as important as the main meal....I remember going to a certain place for lunch once a week, and we'd order warm apple dumplings with warm milk over top.
And then there were all those wonderful places in Lancaster....

Sure hope your feeling much better. Hugs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky