Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 04:05 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times

Advertisements

Folks, be careful with all the ice and snow out there. Looking for 1/4-1/2" of ice by 6 PM Thursday. Best news is it's not going to be a repeat of the 2009 ice storm. I got out and took care of a few errands early this afternoon while the roads were clear. Hopefully we won't need it, but we've had an unused generator sitting in the house we bought when my wife thought she might be able to try camping again. Bought a copper rod and have it hammered in the ground in case the power goes out and looks like it will be out for a while (a few days). Not going to get it out in case it sounds like we're in a power outage for the long haul.
Saw a good one on Facebook this morning. "If you have liability insurance on your car, stay home. This is full coverage driver weather!

Stay safe and stay warm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 07:33 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Freezing rain is steadily falling in Lexington - began around 4:30. Thankfully, there is little or no wind, which may spare trees and electric and telephone wires from damage unless the weight of the ice becomes untenable.

Went on a cooking binge and have a nice peach pie about ready to take out of the oven. I can warm up slices in my cast-iron skillet over the fireplace coals if need be. Won't light the fire until power goes out, and probably not for an hour or so then, unless the house cools off swiftly. Candles, flashlights and oil lamps are ready for service, flannel sheets are on the bed and an extra blanket is ready. Time to layer up with clothing and keep moving around to keep warm, if power departs.

Keep warm and safe, everyone!

Old 02-10-2021, 09:21 PM

That pie sounds good!
Wife and I talked out our plans and, if the power goes out overnight, like you, we'll bundle up till morning. May even try to sleep a little later. Then if the lights and heat aren't back on, I'll get the generator set up (my hernia is gonna love this one! lol) Our stove is electric so if I have to, I'll drag out our little Coleman propane stove and set it up out back long enough to cook some breakfast and boil some water for my wife's coffee bag. Those things are life savers for her.
One thing my wife brought up that's another set back with the pandemic, but there's no warming centers, places to go overnight to stay warm, like there usually is. We have two churches with big activity buildings that usually open up for those who need it. In the '09 ice storm, the Red Cross brought huge generators to our church to get power back up for use as a warming center. Filled up quick!

Old 02-11-2021, 08:15 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
These issues are something I'll need to do more research on for next winter. I see there are indoor portable propane heaters that can at least provide some warmth for a few days if electricity goes out. I may invest in one or two of those. My fire places are lovely but not functional. My biggest concern will be water pipes breaking.
Buying and having installed a wood burning stove may be cost prohibitive although that would be ideal.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:01 AM

I'm pretty lucky on the water part. All the water lines are in our basement and go up through the inside walls so not too worried about them freezing. Marino, something I grew up watching my dad do and I did in my other houses is keep the water running in each faucet at just a trickle, just enough to keep it running to keep from freezing. For an indoor propane heater, a former coworker had one that attached on top of a propane tank like you use for your grill. Said it kept the place comfortable. Better have 2 or 3 tanks handy if power is out for a while.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:03 AM

Most of us escaped the worst of it here in Lexington, and still have power. So, no fireplace cooking this time - but with two, or is it THREE major snowstorms plus plunging temperatures in our eight day forecast -the candles, oil lamps, and firewood are going to stay in place.

I don't think the peach pie will "stay in place", however...

Old 02-11-2021, 01:10 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Saw the thread title and that it was KENTUCKY (where my father's family is from) so figured I'd check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Folks, be careful with all the ice and snow out there. Looking for 1/4-1/2" of ice by 6 PM Thursday. Best news is it's not going to be a repeat of the 2009 ice storm. I got out and took care of a few errands early this afternoon while the roads were clear. Hopefully we won't need it, but we've had an unused generator sitting in the house we bought when my wife thought she might be able to try camping again. Bought a copper rod and have it hammered in the ground in case the power goes out and looks like it will be out for a while (a few days). Not going to get it out in case it sounds like we're in a power outage for the long haul.
Saw a good one on Facebook this morning. "If you have liability insurance on your car, stay home. This is full coverage driver weather!

Stay safe and stay warm!
EEEK!! I'm in New Hampshire and the ONLY thing I don't like about winter is ice storms. We rarely get them in my neighborhood, but I am always afraid of storms turning into those. So I hope you are staying safe and warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Freezing rain is steadily falling in Lexington - began around 4:30. Thankfully, there is little or no wind, which may spare trees and electric and telephone wires from damage unless the weight of the ice becomes untenable.

Went on a cooking binge and have a nice peach pie about ready to take out of the oven. I can warm up slices in my cast-iron skillet over the fireplace coals if need be. Won't light the fire until power goes out, and probably not for an hour or so then, unless the house cools off swiftly. Candles, flashlights and oil lamps are ready for service, flannel sheets are on the bed and an extra blanket is ready. Time to layer up with clothing and keep moving around to keep warm, if power departs.

Keep warm and safe, everyone!
I had to laugh at your post because for some reason I have been thinking that I would try making a peach pie ... but I don't even LIKE pie (as in, ANY kind of pie!)! I've been eating peaches (oh who am I kidding, I've been drinking peach daiquiris made with peaches) and watching a baking show on TV just for fun ... hence, the peach pie idea. How did yours turn out? Can you post a photo? (I am laughing as I type this -- I love seeing photos in C-D's dinner thread but only a few of us ever post them.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'm pretty lucky on the water part. All the water lines are in our basement and go up through the inside walls so not too worried about them freezing. Marino, something I grew up watching my dad do and I did in my other houses is keep the water running in each faucet at just a trickle, just enough to keep it running to keep from freezing. For an indoor propane heater, a former coworker had one that attached on top of a propane tank like you use for your grill. Said it kept the place comfortable. Better have 2 or 3 tanks handy if power is out for a while.
I grew up in the Air Force and lived on Pease AFB in Portsmouth, NH in the mid to late '70s. On nights that were going to be bitterly cold, it was someone's job to drive around all the housing areas on base and tell us to keep faucets running. So you brought back a nice memory (silly, huh? ).

Anyway, I hope the worst of your weather is now behind you and you are all safe and sound. And enjoying pie.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Saw the thread title and that it was KENTUCKY (where my father's family is from) so figured I'd check it out.
Welcome!

EEEK!! I'm in New Hampshire and the ONLY thing I don't like about winter is ice storms. We rarely get them in my neighborhood, but I am always afraid of storms turning into those. So I hope you are staying safe and warm.
Yeah we made it through the night. Calling for measurable snow around the first of the week. This will be the first measurable in almost 2 years. A big snow for us is usually around 8". I'm retired from the state highway department and happy I'm not out there sliding around in a dump truck with 15-18 tons of salt behind me.

I had to laugh at your post because for some reason I have been thinking that I would try making a peach pie ... but I don't even LIKE pie (as in, ANY kind of pie!)! I've been eating peaches (oh who am I kidding, I've been drinking peach daiquiris made with peaches) and watching a baking show on TV just for fun ... hence, the peach pie idea. How did yours turn out? Can you post a photo? (I am laughing as I type this -- I love seeing photos in C-D's dinner thread but only a few of us ever post them.)
Haven't had any peaches in a while but drove to an Amish community about 60 miles from here a couple weeks ago and bought some dried apples. Used to love snacking on them and the mood just hit me. They've been pretty tasty.

I grew up in the Air Force and lived on Pease AFB in Portsmouth, NH in the mid to late '70s. On nights that were going to be bitterly cold, it was someone's job to drive around all the housing areas on base and tell us to keep faucets running. So you brought back a nice memory (silly, huh? ).
My step son in law is retired from the Air Force. While they were stationed at Minot, N.D., my step daughter would get her girls to climb out the kitchen window then go around the house and dig through the snow down to the front door so they could get it open. lol

Anyway, I hope the worst of your weather is now behind you and you are all safe and sound. And enjoying pie.
We're supposed to have below zero wind chills during the day Sunday. That's my birthday and I wasn't looking forward to celebrating it in a deep freeze. lol Because of the pandemic and my wife's health we wouldn't be going anywhere anyway, but it's just the thought. lol

Old 02-11-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Can't take a photo of the peach pie, but I took a shortcut and used a store-bought piecrust. Was going to use another sbp for a lattice top, but discovered I only had the one - so made a streusel topping from flour, white sugar plus a little brown sugar, and melted butter, and sprinkled it on top instead. I baked it in a new (tempered) glass pie plate.

The peaches were purchased at a local open air fruit and vegetable stand last summer (seems so long ago now...) and were from South Carolina. I had sliced and frozen them long ago, so thawed them out, put them in the piecrust, added a fair amount of cinnamon and dabs of butter, then added the streusel topping. It was quick, smelled great while cooking, and tasted delicious. Well-worth the very little effort it took to make (not counting slicing the peaches way last summer).

You can make something similar but even easier - "Kentucky Pudding", from the classic cookbook, "Out of Kentucky Kitchens", using drained canned or fresh sliced peaches or other fruit (blueberries, cherries, or blackberries work well), then adding a dusting of cinnamon, and a streusel topping - use 1/2 stick melted butter, 1/2 C flour, and 1/2 C sugar for the topping - crumble it by hand (in a separate bowl) until it resembles bits of dough. Spread it evenly across the top of the fruit and bake at 375 for about 35-40 minutes. When streusel starts to brown, pull it out. Makes four servings. Great to fix for unexpected company coming within an hour.

I use a rectangular glass baking dish for this version. Both the pie and pudding are good with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

I'd send you a piece if I could. Thanks for the kind words and good wishes.

We escaped a power outage here in my part of Central Kentucky, though not elsewhere in Kentucky (where the last of the ice storm is just now departing mountainous far Eastern Kentucky) - I kept waking up off and on all last night to see if the nightlight was still on. But our forecast is dire for the next week - two or three good-sized snowfalls, plunging temperatures down to zero by the end of the weekend, and a possibility of more ice by midweek.

Think I'll get a few more groceries delivered on Saturday, before the bottom falls out again: winter survival food. I usually pick up my groceries, but since they'll deliver them for a ten dollar fee, now's the time to indulge in that luxury.

Hey, wasn't 2021 supposed to be better than 2020??

Think I'll have another piece of pie later on this evening. No, make that now - all this pie talk is making me hungry!

Old 02-11-2021, 09:07 PM

With the talk of snow next week got me thinking about what was going on in this week in 1985. We had another big blizzard. Governor shut down all state roads. I was trying to plow US 60 from Morganfield to Henderson. There were two trucks, I was in back. First truck plowed off from the center lane over and I plowed the rest of the lane off the shoulder. We started the route a little bit before midnight and got into the shift change traffic from the coal mines. One miner, knowing how much snow was on the way, decided to drive his very nice Corvette to work. Now, this Vette gets stuck on a small snow drift blocking traffic. When the other truck driver pulled out a chain and said he would pull the car out of the road I thought the car's owner was going to have a heart attack. He got some of his buddies to push it off in a parking lot of a bar, and rode home with a friend. I was nervous because I had a pregnant wife at home and her OB was in Henderson, on the other side of the now closed US 60. I was sitting out on another road behind a contract dozer clearing the road and all I had on my mind was waiting for a radio call from the maintenance garage telling me my wife was in labor. Thankfully our son waited a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky