Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 12:05 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,909,919 times

Advertisements

kygman, I think it was also in 1985 that I gave an eight months pregnant co-worker a ride home from work - we'd closed early, and her home was not very far from mine. No ice then, just heavy, heavy snow.

Normally, my drive home took around 15 minutes. That afternoon - it took two and a half hours. I kept warning my co-worker that she'd better not go into labor, and she kept addressing her unborn baby with pleas that she stay right there, safe and sound. I took a slightly alternate route home, selecting streets and roads that were top priority for plowing. Didn't matter - NOTHING had been plowed, and the snow kept falling.

Eventually I was within a block of my co-worker's home - she got out and said she'd be fine walking the rest of her way home (she was, and baby stayed put until her expected due date), and I continued on. I have never been so relieved to turn into my driveway as I was that evening. My workplace, along with most of Lexington, was closed the following day, thankfully - I was glad to have the opportunity to decompress - and dig out my car, sidewalks, and driveway from the close to ten inches of snow which had fallen the preceding day.

Let's hope we don't have similar tales to tell at the conclusion of the upcoming week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 06:48 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,557,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
These issues are something I'll need to do more research on for next winter. I see there are indoor portable propane heaters that can at least provide some warmth for a few days if electricity goes out. I may invest in one or two of those. My fire places are lovely but not functional. My biggest concern will be water pipes breaking.
Buying and having installed a wood burning stove may be cost prohibitive although that would be ideal.
Marino, my step son in law has told me he knows somebody who has one of these propane heaters for indoors and said you don't have to worry about anything freezing when you use it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Portable-...tion/331581250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
kygman, I think it was also in 1985 that I gave an eight months pregnant co-worker a ride home from work - we'd closed early, and her home was not very far from mine. No ice then, just heavy, heavy snow.

Normally, my drive home took around 15 minutes. That afternoon - it took two and a half hours. I kept warning my co-worker that she'd better not go into labor, and she kept addressing her unborn baby with pleas that she stay right there, safe and sound. I took a slightly alternate route home, selecting streets and roads that were top priority for plowing. Didn't matter - NOTHING had been plowed, and the snow kept falling.

Eventually I was within a block of my co-worker's home - she got out and said she'd be fine walking the rest of her way home (she was, and baby stayed put until her expected due date), and I continued on. I have never been so relieved to turn into my driveway as I was that evening. My workplace, along with most of Lexington, was closed the following day, thankfully - I was glad to have the opportunity to decompress - and dig out my car, sidewalks, and driveway from the close to ten inches of snow which had fallen the preceding day.

Let's hope we don't have similar tales to tell at the conclusion of the upcoming week!
Got the official word a couple hours ago. 4-6 inches, starting Sunday in two rounds.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:01 PM

Uh-oh: the heavy snow we were expecting in Lexington has just changed to sleet and freezing rain, resulting in more ice. With an additional similar storm on Wednesday into Thursday.

That's three major winter storms in one week.

Glad last week's unneeded ice storm preparations are still in place. I'll try to do some additional cooking this afternoon while I still have power.

Stay home, y'all! Now's the time to hunker down.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:14 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,883,630 times
34 degree and light rain/mist here at the compound according to my Acurite.....but, I feel the worse is yet to come.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:28 PM

It was 43F atop Big Black Mountain earlier this morning - at over 4,000 feet, the mountain extends into the band of warm air that's the culprit for the freezing rain. Odd to think the higher you go, the warmer it gets right now. The layering of cold and warm air aloft is making the difference between snow and ice in Kentucky.

Very unusual patterns that result in wicked weather below, for most of us.

Sleeting in Lexington right now. Hope it remains sleet and doesn't turn to freezing rain...

Old 02-15-2021, 03:33 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,883,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It was 43F atop Big Black Mountain earlier this morning - at over 4,000 feet, the mountain extends into the band of warm air that's the culprit for the freezing rain. Odd to think the higher you go, the warmer it gets right now. The layering of cold and warm air aloft is making the difference between snow and ice in Kentucky.

Very unusual patterns that result in wicked weather below, for most of us.

Sleeting in Lexington right now. Hope it remains sleet and doesn't turn to freezing rain...

Well, it's 36 now and heavy rain. And I assure you I ain't a top of Black Mountain. But, according to the power outage map, we have some in the community. Power Companies have done a lot of right-of-way clearing since the ice storms of several years ago....I just hope it pays off, I'm sure it will help.

I took a little MC trip a few years back in July and it was about 90 starting up Mt Mitchell on the Blue Ridge Parkway and, lets just say I wasn't prepared for temperatures that low when we neared the top. I said neared because we turned around and have never been back. I can't imagine the conditions up there in winter.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:21 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,557,742 times
It's 13 at 5 PM here in Mayfield. It did get up to a whopping 19 today. Don't even want to think about the wind chills.
Average temp is 48. Tomorrow we're looking at 4 with a wind chill of -11 at 6 AM and a high of around 15. Snow should be done in 2-3 hours and we didn't get anywhere near the foot they were calling for, thank goodness!

I joked on Facebook that I went out this morning and filled the bird feeders. When those are empty, if the birds want more, they're gonna have to bring the feeders to the door and knock, because I ain't going out there! lol Going to make it a BYOS (bring your own seed).

Old 02-16-2021, 02:40 PM

Just throwing birdseed out the back door at my house. Trouble is, it immediately sinks into the fluffy (dry) snow we eventually received. So the birds will have to dig a little.

Saw some juncos, aka "snowbirds". in the backyard last weekend. They seldom arrive until the worst of the winter, so these clearly had advance knowledge of what lay ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky