Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 10:54 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
My mom, and me too, always made cornbread with a bit of sugar in it. We mostly ate it with syrup, molasses, jelly or whatever sweetness was available. Good desert, especially if nothing else was available to satisfy our sweet tooth after a meal.
Hey Miss Blue, it's good to hear from ye and, I respect anything you have to say but, ye put sugar in cake not cornbread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 02:40 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Good to read your posts again Hogs. I always enjoy your East Ky news given with a bit of humor. I call my cornbread "Yankee cornbread." Never tasted white cornmeal cornbread until I got married to a Kentuckian. Over the years I have learned to like it with a bit of honey poured over it. Makes the pinto beans real good.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:43 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I hate to break it to you but it's not unique to Kentucky. My grandmother and her parents and grandparents before her, all of whom were from Arkansas (along with other Arkansas family members whose ancestors had been in Arkansas for many generations) made it and enjoyed it. Like others have said, it's easy to make. I just don't want to make it - LOL.

But it IS good.

My dad used to crumble his up in a glass of cold milk.
I love warmed over cornbread and milk. I learned it from both sides of my family. My mom's side is from Clinton County, Kentucky and my dad's side is from Cannon County, Tennessee. (Saltine) Crackers and milk is another snack/dish I learned from them that I like sometimes before bed.

A breakfast dish that's kinda like fried cornbread is fried cornmeal mush, with butter and syrup. I'm sure there is a restaraunt some where in Texas that serves, but I haven't found it.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:44 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Good to read your posts again Hogs. I always enjoy your East Ky news given with a bit of humor. I call my cornbread "Yankee cornbread." Never tasted white cornmeal cornbread until I got married to a Kentuckian. Over the years I have learned to like it with a bit of honey poured over it. Makes the pinto beans real good.
I agree that it is good to see you back.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:30 AM

60 posts, read 29,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Years ago, I used to be able to find fried cornbread at a cafe located near the Forks of Elkhorn on Highway 460 going out of Frankfort. They went out of business and I don’t know anywhere else to get my fix of this treat, which I believe is unique to Kentucky. Can anybody help me out?
I make my own fried or baked cornbread, my mother used to make it, when I was growing up.
It’s very easy to make and it’s good, just look up some recipes and helpful hints, and viola!

Some things like using buttermilk in the mix, and then using butter on the bread, works for me.
It really can be a treat.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:33 AM

60 posts, read 29,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Oh, baby..... fried corn cakes and greens like my granny made ..... yum, yum...
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup bacon drippings or lard
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  1. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
  2. Whip together buttermilk, water and eggs; then mix well with the dry stuff.
  3. Heat bacon fat/lard and butter in a cast iron skillet over medium to medium high and drop batter (about 1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons) into the hot skillet in pancake shape..
  4. Fry until brown and crisp, turn and brown the other side. Remove and let drain on rack. Serve immediately.

Awesome with a mess of greens, although my yankee husband prefers them with warm maple syrup and the kids prefer honey butter.
That sounds great, I am going to try it myself, thanks for recipe .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky