Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 04:38 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times

Advertisements

Oh, baby..... fried corn cakes and greens like my granny made ..... yum, yum...
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup bacon drippings or lard
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  1. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
  2. Whip together buttermilk, water and eggs; then mix well with the dry stuff.
  3. Heat bacon fat/lard and butter in a cast iron skillet over medium to medium high and drop batter (about 1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons) into the hot skillet in pancake shape..
  4. Fry until brown and crisp, turn and brown the other side. Remove and let drain on rack. Serve immediately.

Awesome with a mess of greens, although my yankee husband prefers them with warm maple syrup and the kids prefer honey butter.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
http://whistlestopky.com/pdf/Whistle...ensed-menu.pdf
(check under side dishes)

You might also want to check out Claudia Saunders Dinner House, Mammie's in Bardstown, Merrick Inn in Lexington, The Old Stone Inn or others.
Whistle Stop is just south of us - it has excellent traditional Kentucky food, including yummy corn-cakes. However, in my opinion the best corn-cakes around here are at a BBQ place in Elizabethtown called Deez Butts.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:20 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Whistle Stop is just south of us - it has excellent traditional Kentucky food, including yummy corn-cakes. However, in my opinion the best corn-cakes around here are at a BBQ place in Elizabethtown called Deez Butts.

I am gonna have to check out Deez Butts next time I am out that way.
My Mom lives in Louisville and my Dad is buried out at the Fort Knox cemetery, so normally we visit out that way frequently.(Covid times are so different though...hope a vaccine is forthcoming soon in our future.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 07:55 PM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  3. Heat bacon fat/lard and butter in a cast iron skillet over medium to medium high and drop batter (about 1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons) into the hot skillet in pancake shape..
  4. Fry until brown and crisp, turn and brown the other side. Remove and let drain on rack. Serve immediately.

Awesome with a mess of greens, although my yankee husband prefers them with warm maple syrup and the kids prefer honey butter.
Thanks for the recipe. I love trying new things and this sounds really good and easy to make.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:12 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
When I was single I cheated when I made fried corn bread. Jiffy Mix worked great for me! Now that I'm married, my wife says if I set one foot in the door while carrying a box of Jiffy Mix, I might get thrown out with the mix! Only way to make cornbread is from scratch.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon butter

Oh my! I made these and they are really good. It felt rather special making a recipe handed down from your old Granny and I didn't want to mess it up.
I happened to have buttermilk and saved the bacon grease from the last time I cooked bacon. Mixed up all the ingredients in no time and fried them. I've always liked cornbread and this put a new spin on it.
I didn't put anything on them like syrup or butter but my creative side was telling me a little bit of powdered sugar might be good as well with them.
I think I'm going to try a new KY recipe once a month or so. I'm currently checking out KY cookbooks to see what's out there. Any suggestions?
Thank you again Oldhag!

Last edited by marino760; 02-19-2021 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-19-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Oh my! I made these and they are really good. It felt rather special making a recipe handed down from your old Granny and I didn't want to mess it up.
I happened to have buttermilk and saved the bacon grease from the last time I cooked bacon. Mixed up all the ingredients in no time and fried them. I've always liked cornbread and this put a new spin on it.
I didn't put anything on them like syrup or butter but my creative side was telling me a little bit of powdered sugar might be good as well with them.
I think I'm going to try a new KY recipe once a month or so. I'm currently checking out KY cookbooks to see what's out there. Any suggestions?
Thank you again Oldhag!
Awesome!!! Glad you enjoyed them.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:53 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Marino, my wife says it's not a true country kitchen if there's not a jar of bacon grease in the refrigerator. lol Even though she's not "supposed" to have anything like that after her gastric surgery, I think she'd divorce me if I tried to throw it out. It's good for green beans. her potatoes and dumplings, corn bread, and no telling what else she used to cook. lol

If you're wondering about the potatoes and dumplings, it's something my wife grew up on since they had more potatoes than chicken when she was growing up. Now, when her kids come to visit, they ask if she can fix it.
Dice several potatoes, and boil, with a couple spoonsful of bacon grease in the water, of course! When they are done she uses canned biscuits for the dumplings. She's working on something right now and can't think straight but she said the number of cans of biscuits depends on how many people are coming. Mash them flat and pinch off pieces. Stir in and cook till dumplings are tender. Mighty fine eating.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:10 PM

Thanks kygman. I'll probably try this one next. I like dumplings. I like potatoes. What can go wrong, right?

Old 03-09-2021, 10:43 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
My mom, and me too, always made cornbread with a bit of sugar in it. We mostly ate it with syrup, molasses, jelly or whatever sweetness was available. Good desert, especially if nothing else was available to satisfy our sweet tooth after a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky