Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 02:01 PM

169 posts, read 340,572 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Don't remember how it came across my radar, have been looking at many other places, but am wondering if Owensboro might be the right place for me. It has an amazing collection of really old homes, and many are on the smaller size, which is really hard to find as most really old homes were built large to reflect all the kids people used to have as well as extended family living with them. The only other places that seem to have so many smaller historic homes is New Orleans and Louisville which for reasons of price, and in the case of New Orleans, hurricanes makes them not for me. Also the prices for homes with their period features still intact really amazes me.

Most of the homes I have been bookmarking are near downtown/the river. Can anyone tell me if streets like Clay Street, W 3rd St, etc would be safe neighborhoods for a woman living alone? Is there a good community feel in this area of town? Do people maintain their homes well?

The other thing I want to know is how long it takes to get to Evansville for when I need more bigger city amenities? If I drive average speed what is the least amount of time it takes and worst (during rush hour)?
How long does it take to get to the Evansville airport too?

Finally, food. When I go out to eat it's typically for ethnic food. I know there aren't a lot of places like that in Owensboro, but I saw one Thai restaurants and some other ethnic restaurants....how good overall is the ethnic food scene?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I may take a trip there before winter sets in, but want to make sure it will be worth the cost and time off work.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 06:02 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
Couldn't tell you much about Owensboro itself. Haven't been up there in a while. I used to live in Morganfield, about 25 miles the other side of Henderson from there, but have heard coworkers from Owensboro say, if they're going to Evansville, taking the Audubon Parkway to I-69/Pennyrile Parkway. The Parkway ends in Henderson and you take US 41 across the Ohio and take 41 north to the airport.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:26 AM

1,049 posts, read 653,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Couldn't tell you much about Owensboro itself. Haven't been up there in a while. I used to live in Morganfield, about 25 miles the other side of Henderson from there, but have heard coworkers from Owensboro say, if they're going to Evansville, taking the Audubon Parkway to I-69/Pennyrile Parkway. The Parkway ends in Henderson and you take US 41 across the Ohio and take 41 north to the airport.
Pretty much that is correct.

Owensboro is a little bit isolated so if you really want bigger city amenities or more diverse food choices then Louisville and even Bowling Green may be better options.

Now if Barbecue is your style then Owensboro is one of the best places for that. They have whole festivals about that.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:35 AM

Default thank you fivenine

I did visit Bowling Green on a previous KY research trip. The first time because there was a race going on I could only check out the old downtown square which gave me a good impression of the whole town because it was decorated, etc. However, on a return visit I got to check out a lot more of the town and well, I found it kinda sketchy. I was shocked at seeing lots of drug addicts wandering around in neighborhoods near the university. I had enough of that in big cities. I also didn't like the newer more suburban neighborhoods, they seemed safe but so cookie cutter and the big main road with strip malls all along it was meh.

Louisville I like, but housing costs are much higher and the small historic homes that I am in the market for have all been snatched up by flippers who again do the same cookie cutter renovations...stainless steel applicance - check, faux laminate hardwood floors - check, gray painted walls - check. HATE all of that.

I don't need tons of different ethnic restaurants, I was just looking to find out whether the few Owensboro has are good, like the one Thai restaurant etc. If I get a craving I can drive up to Evansville I figure...

Old 10-25-2020, 09:46 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Owensboro is one of the better places in the state statistically. Low crime rate, high income per COL, low poverty, and steady population growth. It has the bulk of your main national chain restaurants and stores. 'Isolated' is in the eye of the beholder, being 30 to 45 minutes to anywhere in Evansville, 1.5 hrs to Louisville, and 2 hrs to Nashville isn't that bad IMO. I would say Evansville airport isn't that big, if you need more direct flights you're looking at Louisville or Nashville.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:10 AM

Thank you Census Data! I am glad to hear about the low crime rate. Surprised by high income, the home prices are so low that I though the average income must be low too, but from what you said that is not the case. It's not a factor for me anyway as I work remotely, but I found that interesting.

In big cities with traffic it can take 30 min. or more to get to a great restaurant, so think that sounds fine and was very helpful.

These days I kind of like the idea of smaller airports without ridiculous security lines, and my understanding is Evansville airport mainly have flight to Cincinnati from which I can connect anywhere. I guess the only drawback is paying more to leave from Evansville....but as a former road warrior who flew all the time, I am kind over it between terrorism, security, unfriendly flight attendants, nick and diming people on extra ticket fees to check luggage etc. I have flowing all over the world and am glad I did so much traveling because I am not inclined to want to fly much anymore, maybe once a year on vacation. Do you know if there are any long distance shuttle options to get to the airports in Louisville and Nashville from Owensboro. I have a car, but if I take a long vacation parking fees add up and also worry about security of leaving my car for a long period in an airport lot....

Old 10-25-2020, 04:59 PM

811 posts, read 888,188 times
Owensboro is certainly an isolated town about 45 minutes East of Evansville, Indiana which is the closest “city” and I use that term loosely.

In both Evansville and Owensboro, if you decide to move to the area, you will be asked why you moved there. Both places are pretty provincial, but still accepting of outsiders who adjust. Job market is not great, look up the stats.

Honestly, Owensboro is a sleepy place with not much going on. I would not choose it as a place to live but to each their own.

I would look into Bowling Green, KY which is a great little city that has a lot more to offer IMHO. Close to Nashville and Louisville, a great Arts scene, vibrant and diverse immigrant community and a large amount of amenities as the Western Kentucky University calls Bowling Green home.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:08 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
Hello,

Don't remember how it came across my radar, have been looking at many other places, but am wondering if Owensboro might be the right place for me. It has an amazing collection of really old homes, and many are on the smaller size, which is really hard to find as most really old homes were built large to reflect all the kids people used to have as well as extended family living with them. The only other places that seem to have so many smaller historic homes is New Orleans and Louisville which for reasons of price, and in the case of New Orleans, hurricanes makes them not for me. Also the prices for homes with their period features still intact really amazes me.

Most of the homes I have been bookmarking are near downtown/the river. Can anyone tell me if streets like Clay Street, W 3rd St, etc would be safe neighborhoods for a woman living alone? Is there a good community feel in this area of town? Do people maintain their homes well?

The other thing I want to know is how long it takes to get to Evansville for when I need more bigger city amenities? If I drive average speed what is the least amount of time it takes and worst (during rush hour)?
How long does it take to get to the Evansville airport too?

Finally, food. When I go out to eat it's typically for ethnic food. I know there aren't a lot of places like that in Owensboro, but I saw one Thai restaurants and some other ethnic restaurants....how good overall is the ethnic food scene?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I may take a trip there before winter sets in, but want to make sure it will be worth the cost and time off work.....
You may also consider Louisville suburbs of New Albany, IN. It also has the smaller historic homes (but superior) for low price while being in a major metro yet retaining a small town feel.

I'd say if you like the shotguns of New Orleans and Louisville, Owensboro will not be as vibrant....New Albany is best of both worlds and much lower taxes too!

http://www.historicnewalbany.com/
As far as gaining equity New Albany home values have doubled in some cases....just ask censusdata here

I totally disgree in Bowling Green...I appreciate the spirit in that it is much more vibrant than Owensboro while being similar sized, but it sorely lacks the urban historic culture of Louisville and its river cities like Jeffersonville and New Albany IN. (5 mins away)

Old 10-26-2020, 03:48 AM

5 posts, read 7,568 times
Evansville has one of the best Thai restaurants called Thai Papaya. You have good taste! Check out Henderson they have a lot of historic homes as well. The whole area of Henderson, Owensboro, Evansville is a good area. Traffic is not bad at all. I personally prefer Evansville/ Henderson but Owensboro is pretty close so they are all very similar.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:14 PM

Default Thank you Peter1948

Hello Peter,

During the week I spent in Louisville checking that city out, I spent a day over in New Albany being shown a few houses by a realtor I liked that the houses had not all been flipped and I found the downtown area of New Albany charming and it has a surprising variety of restaurants for the size town, i even ate at a tapas place that was great! I didn't know that taxes were lower, were you referring to property tax or sales tax?

Also, although I liked the few streets of the old downtown area, the rest of the town there wasn't much to....but maybe I just didn't see enough as my realtor was doing the driving and showing. I think the other reason I didn't keep it on my list is if I want big city amenities like museums, the flea market etc I would have to drive to Louisville and they just put up a new bridge and all the bridges were going to be tolled. That could start to add up if every time I wanted a bit of big city fun I would have to pay a toll just to be over in Louisville for a few hours...

So where does your knowledge of New Albany come from if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You may also consider Louisville suburbs of New Albany, IN. It also has the smaller historic homes (but superior) for low price while being in a major metro yet retaining a small town feel.

I'd say if you like the shotguns of New Orleans and Louisville, Owensboro will not be as vibrant....New Albany is best of both worlds and much lower taxes too!

:: Historic New Albany ::
As far as gaining equity New Albany home values have doubled in some cases....just ask censusdata here

I totally disgree in Bowling Green...I appreciate the spirit in that it is much more vibrant than Owensboro while being similar sized, but it sorely lacks the urban historic culture of Louisville and its river cities like Jeffersonville and New Albany IN. (5 mins away)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky