Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM

13 posts, read 35,383 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was wondering if I could get some info on Owensboro. We are a military family and it's a good possibility we will be moving to Owensboro this summer for the USCG. We live in a rural Virginia area now so I am excited about possibly moving there. We have 3 boys between us 11,13, and 15 but only the 13 yo will be with us. He loves soccer and it seems that they have a program for him which is great. I would like to know some info on schools, as far as 8th grade on. What is there to do in the area, high speed internet and cell phone coverage (we use Verizon).Good neigborhoods that have kids but still has room between house. I have 2 horses now but they wont be coming with us, but the possiblity of maybe riding would be nice. We also own a 4 wheeler. I am a bus driver for our county and I may look into that as well. Basically any info you could offer a new comer with kids would be great!

Thanks,
Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 PM

181 posts, read 464,569 times
I use to live in that area but it's been awhile so I can't really help with some of your Q's. But I do know about some of the rural areas......or are you wanting to live within city limits ? And if outside limits , how far from town ?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:39 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthemove View Post
Hello, I was wondering if I could get some info on Owensboro. We are a military family and it's a good possibility we will be moving to Owensboro this summer for the USCG. We live in a rural Virginia area now so I am excited about possibly moving there. We have 3 boys between us 11,13, and 15 but only the 13 yo will be with us. He loves soccer and it seems that they have a program for him which is great. I would like to know some info on schools, as far as 8th grade on. What is there to do in the area, high speed internet and cell phone coverage (we use Verizon).Good neigborhoods that have kids but still has room between house. I have 2 horses now but they wont be coming with us, but the possiblity of maybe riding would be nice. We also own a 4 wheeler. I am a bus driver for our county and I may look into that as well. Basically any info you could offer a new comer with kids would be great!

Thanks,
Debbie
What to do in the area? Not a whole heck of a lot, honestly. Owb. does have the International BBQ Festival each May, Friday night festivities on the river throughout the summer, a nice new park downtown to walk through, and the remaining vestiges of Owensboro-style BBQ, Moonlite BBQ and Old Hickory BBQ. (Although, for Owensboro mutton BBQ, I would suggest Good Ol' Boys BBQ between Slaughters and Hanson, KY, about 35 miles SW of Owensboro. Call ahead before you go to make sure they're open.)

Nearby Evansville has some big-name national concerts and a decent small zoo called Mesker Park Zoo.

As for cell phone coverage, I would think Verizon would cover Owensboro.

Louisville, Nashville, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Cincinnati are all equipped for the weekend traveler and are 3.5 hours or less away.

Could you please give us some more specific criteria that you're interested in knowing about? For example, schools? Religion? Cost of living? Access to modern retail and dining amenities?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:28 PM

205 posts, read 587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I would suggest Good Ol' Boys BBQ between Slaughters and Hanson, KY, about 35 miles SW of Owensboro. Call ahead before you go to make sure they're open.)
Great post. Thanks for the suggestion about Good Ol' Boys... never been there. I'll have to try them.

Owensboro is a nice town. It won't win any awards for excitement, but a nice place to raise a family. The OP mentioned 4-wheeling. There are plenty of places nearby. If you enjoy outdoor activities, Land Between The Lakes National Recreational Area is a couple of hours away, as are the Hoosier National Forest, and Garden of the Gods in Southern Illinois.

Quote:
Nearby Evansville has some big-name national concerts and a decent small zoo called Mesker Park Zoo.
With the new downtown arena, Evansville is looking to bring even more events to town. One small nit to pick. Mesker has undergone an extensive renovation, and is the largest zoo in Indiana. Small compared to Cincinnati or St. Louis, but so are most places.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 PM

I will make you aware, though, that Owensboro can be a rather uninviting, unfriendly and cliquish town. I speak from personal experience. In Kentucky, only Louisville, Bardstown and Somerset rival Owensboro with this attitude.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:32 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Higginson Henry WMA in Union County has some horse trails through the area. Higginson Henry is part of the old camp Breckinridge Army base during WWII. This was the some of the training area. Across the Ohio River from Union County is the Shawnee National Forest. There are plenty of horseback trails here. First weekend in August they have the 9 day trail ride, where several hundred horseback riders come, ride and party (emphasis on party, lol) That part wouldn't be good for the 13 yr old,lol, but I have some horse back riding friends who go over several times a year to ride. Said the trails are great.
Erikp mentioned the Land Between the Lakes. (Land Between The Lakes | HOME )This is a great place for camping, hiking, biking, fishing, and quite a bit more. They have a camp for horseback riding, but I have friends who won't take their family there.
For trips to the east, you're not very far from Bardstown (My Old Kentucky Home, Jim Beam and other distilleries) and also Lincoln's birthplace and boyhood home, Ft. Knox. Get on 31W around Ft. Knox and you'll be able to seen the Gold Depository from the highway.Head south to Bowling Green to the National Corvette Museum.
Just look around and you can always find something to do in the area.
Hate to keep adding on but one thing I think all of you, including the 13 yr old would enjoy would be Holiday World amusement park in Santa Claus, In. http://www.holidayworld.com/ . This was the first themed amusement park in the world when the Koch family opened it in 1946. If you like roller coasters they have some here that have been rated at or near #1 in the world for several years. This year's new attraction is the Wildebeest, 1710 ft. long water coaster. Go to the web site and take the virtual ride of the Wildebeest and the Pilgrim's Plunge, teh World's tallest water ride (131 ft., 45 degree drop).
Aren't you glad I don't ramble on about what there is to do? lol

Last edited by kygman; 01-24-2010 at 01:52 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 07:46 AM

oh I have to add to that one kygman ! We (as in me too !! ) LOVE Holiday World ! Clean park and friendly workers !

Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLWR View Post
oh I have to add to that one kygman ! We (as in me too !! ) LOVE Holiday World ! Clean park and friendly workers !
Clean park, friendly workers (very) and FREE unlimited soft drinks! lol
My wife gave me that sad face all wives are known to use often to get me on the Raven AND the Voyage! She celebrated her 58th birthday on the Voyage...twice! lol

Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 AM

oh yea, I forgot about the free cokes AND sunblock in the splash park ! We just moved to TN but I'm thinking me and the kids will still try to go this summer (family lives in Owensboro ) !! Thanks for that link , we haven't been on that new one yet.......c'mon SUMMER !
OP- good luck with your move

Old 08-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I will make you aware, though, that Owensboro can be a rather uninviting, unfriendly and cliquish town. I speak from personal experience. In Kentucky, only Louisville, Bardstown and Somerset rival Owensboro with this attitude.
I will admit, though, that I have been back to Oboro 3x since this comment. Still find it cliquish and small townish, but give the people a chance and they can be quite helpful and friendly. So to the ppl of OWB, I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky