Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 PM

27 posts, read 48,679 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone
My family and I are considering moving to your lovely state of Kentucky. I've read wonderful things about this state. But I do have some questions which I need help from those that live there and knows about special education in the schools. We are a special family I have three kids a 26 yr old daughter with Down Syndrome, an 18 yr old son with Autism a husband with brain injury and a 4 yr old daughter. I would love a place where is relatively safe from tornadoes. Since is difficult to rush my 26 yr old to a safe place. She gets very stubborn when shes scared . Also I will need help with my son in the schools and programs for my daughter.

What region or city, if known, are you considering? We don't know exactly were we want to live as of yet. Like I said I do want a place were is safe from tornadoes. And definitely rural we are really tired of big cities.

Have you been here yet? Not yet but we are planning a trip to Lexington,KY maybe by Sept.

When are you moving? Well we would like to leave by April or May maybe sooner.

Where are you coming from? We live in Philadelphia, PA.

Why are you moving? We want a more calmer life. A lower cost of living.

Where will you be working (location, not specific company)? No

Are you looking for a suburban, rural, city, or urban area? We would like to live in a rural area since we would like to start a homestead really.

Will you buy or rent? Well at first we would like to rent. But if we find the right realtor that understands our family needs. And is familiar with the rural area then that would be a possibility.

If buying, are you looking for a house, a condo, or a farm? Definitely we would like a farm, hobby farm, homestead type of home.

How much can you spend? No more than $900 if it's rent and $130,000 to buy.

Are you looking for acreage? No less than 5 acres.

How much? No more than $900 if it's rent and $130,000 to buy.

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? 3 bedroom apt/house

How much can you spend? $900 rental

Are you married or single? Married

Do you have children? 3 special children

Do you prefer public or private schools? It depend on the local school. If the school is good no need but we were thinking of homeschooling our youngest.

Do you have pets? Yes we have a Chihuahua dog and a calico cat

Do you want or need a yard? Yes we need a yard

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We really prefer calm and quiet.

What do you want to be closest to? Close to shopping and hospitals.

Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife

Thank you all for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 01:14 AM

7,074 posts, read 16,774,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmom74 View Post
Hello everyone
My family and I are considering moving to your lovely state of Kentucky. I've read wonderful things about this state. But I do have some questions which I need help from those that live there and knows about special education in the schools. We are a special family I have three kids a 26 yr old daughter with Down Syndrome, an 18 yr old son with Autism a husband with brain injury and a 4 yr old daughter. I would love a place where is relatively safe from tornadoes. Since is difficult to rush my 26 yr old to a safe place. She gets very stubborn when shes scared . Also I will need help with my son in the schools and programs for my daughter.

What region or city, if known, are you considering? We don't know exactly were we want to live as of yet. Like I said I do want a place were is safe from tornadoes. And definitely rural we are really tired of big cities.

Have you been here yet? Not yet but we are planning a trip to Lexington,KY maybe by Sept.

When are you moving? Well we would like to leave by April or May maybe sooner.

Where are you coming from? We live in Philadelphia, PA.

Why are you moving? We want a more calmer life. A lower cost of living.

Where will you be working (location, not specific company)? No

Are you looking for a suburban, rural, city, or urban area? We would like to live in a rural area since we would like to start a homestead really.

Will you buy or rent? Well at first we would like to rent. But if we find the right realtor that understands our family needs. And is familiar with the rural area then that would be a possibility.

If buying, are you looking for a house, a condo, or a farm? Definitely we would like a farm, hobby farm, homestead type of home.

How much can you spend? No more than $900 if it's rent and $130,000 to buy.

Are you looking for acreage? No less than 5 acres.

How much? No more than $900 if it's rent and $130,000 to buy.

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? 3 bedroom apt/house

How much can you spend? $900 rental

Are you married or single? Married

Do you have children? 3 special children

Do you prefer public or private schools? It depend on the local school. If the school is good no need but we were thinking of homeschooling our youngest.

Do you have pets? Yes we have a Chihuahua dog and a calico cat

Do you want or need a yard? Yes we need a yard

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We really prefer calm and quiet.

What do you want to be closest to? Close to shopping and hospitals.

Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife

Thank you all for your help
Moderator cut: off topic

I'd strongly look at Oldham County. It's got the best schools and arguably the highest home appreciation.

Moderator cut: off topuc

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-17-2018 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: The OP specifically stated they were looking for a rural location at least 3 times. Please do not try to hijack her thread.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:24 AM

Thank you Peter I will do that

Old 07-17-2018, 09:29 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,925,576 times
Your budget is way low for rural land close to Lexington, and there's also an ordinance which protects the fragile and historic Bluegrass countryside of Fayette County (Lexington) from excessive development, by limiting new rural developments' size to 40 acres or more (the Bluegrass was getting eaten up by "baby farms" of five acres - but no crops or farm animals - with big McMansions in some areas - this ordinance prevents that sort of thing).

Many of the larger Fayette County horse farms have sold their development rights to the government in order to preserve the land intact. Some smaller older rural properties are grandfathered in, so it is still possible to find small rural properties - but there are not many in Fayette County.

However, you can find conveniently located decent modest houses with yards in suburban Lexington for around $130,000 too $150,000, and if you look in the smaller towns surrounding Lexington, your budget might go farther. You might luck into rural land in one of the surrounding counties - don't overlook "for sale by owner" properties, which is how I found my own rural weekend getaway.

If you live in the country, however, you will not be very close to hospitals or other amenities like shopping, groceries, or drugstores. Your definition of "close" may not coincide with mine, however. I can reach a hospital, grocery, etc. from my own weekend place within fifteen to twenty minutes' drive to the closest small town, yet it feels very remote. But I can reach a hospital in ten minutes from my house in town, and other amenities are five minutes or less if I drive.

And if you do live close to hospitals, be prepared for lots of ambulance sirens anytime, night or day. It won't be the quiet refuge you envision, though you'll find you eventually tune out the sound. I lived next door to a fire station for the first three years of my life, and don't recall sleep disturbances or ever hearing my parents complain about it later on. The firefighters were good neighbors.

Lexington's public schools are good - some better than others, predictably, but pretty good to outstanding over all. The special education classes are generally good, with dedicated teachers and staff. It sounds as if your son would qualify for public special ed for a few more years, if I remember correctly.

Your four year old would find many kindergartens and nursery schools available. Some of the best ones are affiliated with mainstream churches and synagogues. Public schools offer kindergarten for five year olds. The Lexington Public Library locations all offer lots of popular story times and other programs for preschoolers as well as older kids.

There is an active Down syndrome association in Central Kentucky for people with DS and their families. Both your older children also would qualify for the excellent Stewart Home and School just outside of Frankfort - it's a great boarding school for people with special needs who are capable of basic self-care, and all the students take classes and have jobs geared to their interests and abilities, either on or off campus, which looks like a college campus. There is a very active recreation program as well, including equestrian sports and caring for horses, field trips, other sports teams, dances, a school choir, etc.

Check out their website, YouTube, and Facebook page. Students can visit their families at any time and families can visit on campus at any time as well. It is private and costly, though, with no scholarships or assistance, though they do accept Social Security disability payments for tuition and board.

Good luck finding the right place in Kentucky for your family.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 07-17-2018 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 07:38 PM

CraigCreek

Thank you for all the info I appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:20 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,123,067 times
There is no part of KY “safe” from tornadoes.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,336,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmom74 View Post
Thank you Peter I will do that
why not consider first renting instead of buying, that way, you become familiar with all the different areas and what they have to offer?

Old 07-25-2018, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,538 times
I have a 'hobbie farm' recreational property for sale near Burkesville (in southern KY). It is very rural with good schools. through rural, it is 15 minutes from 2 hospitals with several dollars stores around. It is 5 minutes from the Cumberland River and Dale Hollow lake. We lived there for 6 years and raised 2 kids (one with special needs). Only reason I have moved is for a job in Tompkinsville. The home is a log cabin style home on a dead end road with 13 acres. Moderator cut: You can only do this through DM, and then only if the person you send it to agrees. We do not allow the posting of properties except in classified ads.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-25-2018 at 03:30 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,538 times
Hello, Southern KY is a great place to raise a family.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:16 PM

1,049 posts, read 656,134 times
In Southern Kentucky, I would recommend the Glasgow area. It is close enough to shopping and a significant hospital (in Bowling Green) but is cheaper and more rural than Bowling Green. The area schools have a good reputation as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky