Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:46 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times

Advertisements

I went to Gatlinburg circa 1960 when I was a little kid, and all I remember is a Dog N Suds fast food place where I got the biggest hamburger I ever had as of then. That was before McDonalds came to my town. In my town, we got hamburgers for 5 cents at Blue Circle, but they were very small. Dog N Suds in Gatlinburg was incredibly expensive, even for such a big burger. Something like 25 or 50 cents.

I also remember going camping with a group, on a mountain near Gatlinburg, probably a year or two later. I don't remember if it was Scouts or what. We had a big cabin whose floor was a raised platform, about 6 feet or so off the ground, and without outer walls. Just a raised platform with a roof above it. I saw a bear from there, not very big but very surprising, because I had never seen a bear from that perspective before, just wandering the woods at night foraging. I was so excited, bringing it to everyone's attention, that I scared it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:14 AM

43 posts, read 81,582 times
Thank you very much for this comprehensive reply.

We have been to Galveston ...the town is very pleasant but comparing it to Hatteras Island, Florida Beaches and Cape Co, Mass, Galveston seashore was more like a dirty lake.... no waves, brown (though warm) water, lake-like beach (no dunes, no wildlife). Hopefully South Padre Island is better.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:19 PM

738 posts, read 416,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
My reply was to imply that Cumberland falls, while amazing and a possible "destination", there aren't many additional places to visit unless you plan on hiking. I've hiked portions of the Cumberland trail in that area covering over miles but for typical tourist activities, even sightseeing the falls, one day is about it.

I'm certainly not endorsing Gatlinburg but with the Smokey mountains, Fontana dam, Dragon's tail (twisty road), and chairlift to other hiking, it has more activities for a multi-day visit.

Motorcycle riding from Kentucky to Gatlinburg and around that area is an amazing experience.
I know this is an old post but there is a lot to do around Cumberland Falls.

This adventure resort offers whitewater rafting on that river and the nearby Big South Fork. They offer other stuff as well. https://www.ky-rafting.com/

The tallest waterfall in the state, Yahoo Falls, is nearby and it is a short walk. The trail has a rock shelter and a natural arch, Yahoo Arch.

Natural Arch of Kentucky is nearby, a short walk.

There are several overlooks of the Big South Fork . One overlook, Bear Creek, has an natural arch a short walk away, Split Bow Arch. You can take a train into the abandoned Blue Heron mining community on the river. https://bsfsry.com/

Twin Arches and Picket CCC State Park in Tennessee are not far away. Picket has two cool large rock shelters.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:18 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
The scenic railway from Stearns to Blue Heron, which is operated by the National Park Service, is great fun! Not sure it operates during the winter, and of course the pandemic may have temporarily halted it, but the trip is especially lovely in late-spring/early summer when the rosebay rhododendron is in bloom, and in the fall when the colors are spectacular. The portion of the tracks approaching Blue Heron, which is located beside the river, runs by a rocky tumbling stream and is very pretty. There's also a good local history museum adjacent to the train terminal. You can purchase box lunches to take with you on the train, which stops for around an hour or so in Blue Heron before the return trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky