Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Is there a bridge connecting Missouri and Kentucky on Highway 80? I thought there wasnt one
Not directly. You have to going barely in Illinois first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Only bridge crossing is out of Wickliffe. You cross the Ohio to the southern tip of Illinois, and then cross the Mississippi to Missouri. That's U.S. 60 out of Paducah that crosses the bridge.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:58 PM

86 posts, read 132,461 times
Doesn't I-66 end at I-81 in Front Royal, VA? It would have to go through WVA first.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammockbrain View Post
Doesn't I-66 end at I-81 in Front Royal, VA? It would have to go through WVA first.
Sometimes two non connected stretches could have the same interstate number, if there is plans to connect them in the future. An example is I-74 from Central Illinois to Cincinnati and I-74 in North Carolina.

The reason I-66 won't work is all other states in its original path have scrapped building it. At most, it will go only from I-65 to I-75

Old 04-11-2008, 07:14 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
The I-66 debacle is typical of the W. KY, S. IL, SE MO, way of doing (or not doing) business. Everyone wants something for themselves, rather than thinking whats good for the region. Other than TV stations, nothing has ever been done for the regional good here. This primarily shows itself in the transportation sector.

I-66 is a necessary part of the interstate system. But it will never be completed given the political environment. Mainly because no one in goverment or business who resides in this neck of the woods, has enough political capital to get anything done at the respective state or federal level.

Just a summation on the I-66 issues:

No true east-west interstate between I-40 and I-70. A gap greater than 200 miles. Other transcon interstates are spaced roughly 100 miles apart.

To travel exclusively on interstates westbound from the Paducah-Cape Girardeau area, one must first proceed norhwest to St. Louis or south to Memphis.

The logical route for I-66 is through Illinois, Utilizing I-24 across the Ohio, then branching due west to cross the Mississipi at Cape Girardeau. There's a new 4 lane bridge at Cape, which basically leads to nowhere on the Illinois side.

The problem with the Illinois route is two fold. The Chicago controlled state government won't fund anything in this part of the state. Two, the route would pass through the Cache River basin, and environmentalists have already protested to some degree at early planning efforts.

Routing through Kentucky, west of Paducah, makes for very indirect routing, for the disired westerly path that Missouri wants.

Logic dictates, that the new road should provide a direct as possible route between Paducah and Cape Girardeau. The two largest markets in the region. Only separated by 35 air miles, but 75 miles of bad 2 lane road. The most direct routing is the Illinois routing, and no new bridges need to be built.

The KY routing goes too far south, and would require a new bridge, and a lengthy due north routing to Cape.

The project is dead IMHO.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Not directly. You have to going barely in Illinois first
The KY-MO border has no significance to warrant a bridge. KY is only about 40 miles N-S at this point, and both states are very sparsely populated on both sides of the river in this area. Either go north to Cairo IL, or south to that I-55 extension that crosses into TN near Dyersburg.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:41 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
BLS, I can tell you're not from Kentucky. It may be sparsely populated in some of the areas but what do you do to build everything up? You build roads to bring people through the area. If you put 4 lane roads in, industry will come.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
BLS, I can tell you're not from Kentucky. It may be sparsely populated in some of the areas but what do you do to build everything up? You build roads to bring people through the area. If you put 4 lane roads in, industry will come.
Well actually I was born in Paducah, and raised in Metropolis IL. I'm retired in Metropolis now. I spent a 20 year career in the Navy and have a college education. I've been around a bit, and like to think I have a decent idea on how things work.

I'm very pro I-66, I would love to see it built. Really don't care if it goes through Illinois, Kentucky, or if they tunnel under the Mississipi from Hickman to New Madrid for that matter.

Your "build it and they will come" attitude is commendable, but does not mesh well with reality. Population density is the engine that drives most transportation decisions. And this region doesn't have it. I doubt if it ever will.

I spent my youth in the area pre- I-24. So I know what an interstate can and won't do. What we have is a much faster route to St. Louis, Nashville and points beyond, and a nice mall area in Paducah, with a bunch of $7.50 an hour jobs. The economy and jobs situation hasn't changed much from 40 years ago.

Your "not from Kentucky" remark is typical of a provincial attitude. Residents from any of the neighboring states in the region share this "my state is better attitude". In reality, they all share a collective mindset, that causes them to be ignored in Frankfort, Jefferson City, Springfield, and last but not least, Washington D.C.

I'd like alot things around here transportion wise. Light rail from Metropolis to Paducah would be nice. Maybe Boeing 737's out of Barkley Field too. None of these are likely to happen anytime soon, and probably never.

The remark about industry is typical to the region. Everything is solved with a $15 an hour factory job doing good honest work. Those days are gone, and they're not coming back.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 PM

130 posts, read 367,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are interstates going everywhere in West Virginia. How's their economy?
Heh. Our economy? Horrible. They tax you to death here. In fact...West Virginia was the first to induct the Sales Tax. Heck, we even have a FOOD TAX. The healthcare in West Virginia is undoubtedly one of the worst in the nation. On paper they shine, but try going to one of our hospitals. (No offense to Doctors)Most of our doctors are idiots (after 12 or so years of schooling...you'd think?). Our family doctor is amazing, but most of the doctors and healthcare providers, don't give a rat's rear about you. The only remotely good facility is CAMC-Memorial in Kanawha City. They treat you how you should be treated. But some advice to travelers in this area...if you get hurt..avoid St. Mary's, Cabell-Huntington, or Teays Valley Hospital. I would elect to go to a local urgent care, or make the drive to Memorial...or just deal with it. Unless it's life-threatening, than I would do the latter...Memorial. The drive there and your admittance into Triage/Care would be the whole amount of time you would spend in the waiting room at Cabell or St. Mary's...and at those hospitals...you'll probably die. So...just a fair warning.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 PM

130 posts, read 367,847 times
Though an Interstate cutting through that area would be nice...I don't know that it would actually bring anything to that area. It's been known to happen. But BLS is right...Population Density is everything. Population Density even sets the speed limits... But as a frequent traveler between West Virginia and Missouri, it would be nice to have a direct (or almost) route to Cape Girardeau, as where my in-laws live. It's a real hassle having to travel I-64 all the way to South-Central IL @ Mt. Vernon, hit I-57 and then to top it off, get off on IL-146 and travel through the back "woods" (or fields) and then hit IL-3 at McClure to head over to Cape Girardeau. Or...the other route...which is altogether confusing in itself. On the way back one time, we went up 57 a bit, hopped over onto 24 into Paducah, and then onto the Western Kentucky Parkway into Lexington, back over to I-64 then back to WV. When you're tired, hungry and just want to get home, it's not fun at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky