Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,795 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I, along with our kids (both under 2 y/o) will be moving to Owensboro this summer. I'm in the medical field, and my husband is an electrical/biomed engineer. We are moving for my job- my husband does not have a job yet, and is in the process of looking. Do you know of any companies nearby that would be interested in hiring an engineer? Also, we are wondering about the best daycares in the area. I know there is one called Charlotte's Web that is new and planning to open soon, but still waiting for state licensing. Any other good ones out there that we should check out? When I did a search on Owensboro Daycares, instead of finding any good review sites, I found a news story of a kid that had recently died in one of the daycares . Also, in terms of neighborhoods, which ones are the best? We have looked at the Lake Forest community, but are there any other good ones that would be close to the new Owensboro Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 09:07 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,249,962 times
My large Kentucky family is all from this area. My grandmother lives in SE Daviess county about 15 miles from Owensboro, many uncles, aunts, cousins in surrounding Hancock and Ohio counties but I'd say alot of them also live in town (Owensboro) now. I have two cousins that live near where the Hwy 60 bypass meets Highway 54 and I also have another aunt and uncle that live near Old-Hickory-BBQ on hwy 54 not too far from the new Wal-Mart in an area they call "Dermont"

Owensboro at it's heart is a small Kentucky town but it's grown alot and also cleaned up alot as well as the downtown area used to be very depressed and worn out at least the way I remember it as a kid. In my opinion the local economy is not one of Owensboro's strong points. Alot of folks in Owensboro work at the big "Alcoa" aluminum plant over in Newburg Indiana across the river and also another big plant at Rockport. One of my uncles works at Willamette in Cloverport and some other relatives work at Aluminum plants over in Hawesville ( Commonwealth Aluminum? ) Many folks there commute to Evansville Indiana, and even as far as Bowling Green and Louisville Kentucky for work in some cases. Two of my cousins work as social workers in Owensboro and serve the surrounding areas.

Most any Owensboro subdivisions and neighborhoods are pretty nice, especially off of Breckinridge Ave not far from the mall and their are new subdivisions popping up all the time, mainly on the east side and south side of the cities from what I remember the last time I was in town. Folks in O'boro are great, very conservative. They'll smile and say "good morning" to you with that soft western Kentucky southern twang and open doors for you...just all around great folks and for the most part laid back and polite. Most folks have lived there, or in the surrounding areas for many generations. Hunting and fishing of all types is also popular with many Owensboro Kentucky residents as is the rest of western Kentucky. NASCAR is also big, Michael and Darrel Waltrip are from there, as is actor Johnny Depp....who's grandparents used to sell insurance there, and I believe still do.

Owensboro folks are church going folks and most folks are very active in local Baptist, Methodist, Catholic Parishes or Assemblies Of God congregations...although catholics being a big one.

The International BBQ fest is a big must, as are the church picnics held usually in May through Sept...if you like southern style BBQ: Pulled Pork, Mutton and Burgoo..

As far as the Medical field I'm not sure? There used to be a huge daycare near the mall by the By-Pass and Breckinridge next to the Old Captain D's restauraunt there. Housing is pretty cheap and generally very affordable there.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 03-10-2015 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,305 times
Smile hello

hi

Old 07-04-2018, 01:29 PM

145 posts, read 204,204 times
I grew up in Owensboro...my mom still lives there...I am there every month.
The area that used to be hot was south Fredrica...now all the shops are leaving that area and moving to Hwy 54.
The cost of housing is such a good value there, plenty of places to shop and eat (not that way when I was growing up).
As far as work goes, the hospital is a big employer there. Owensboro is mostly a blue collar town. I'm a computer programmer and there few professional jobs like that there.
Your husband may need to look in Evansville, IN.
Hwy 54 is near the new hospital, the neighborhoods along there have many doctors that live there.
The people are very friendly there and I am seeing more and more good things coming to Owensboro.
The park along the river is awesome, we take our grandkids there when we visit my mom.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 AM

145 posts, read 204,204 times
Also, currently, Owensboro is without water for the second time since November...not only affects your house, but all eating establishments are closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky