Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:33 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,074,968 times

Advertisements

I have been told that areas around Grayson,Pikeville,Hazard and places near by are among the poorest areas in the US according to the poorest 100 communities report if someone could please tell me is the situation down there is bad as i hear? please wright back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 10:58 AM

21 posts, read 106,388 times
No it isn't that bad.....I don't know where people get their info from. I live in Pikeville and the majority of the people that I know work and have jobs and make decent livings..There are alot of businesses and good people...I think that we get put down because of the location and I guess opinions vary, but most isn't true to what they say..I am glad that you asked this questions that way some people can tell you the truth....I guess when they do these reports they don't talk about the mining and the money that is here with these said mines...It ticks me off but its ok, I can tell anyone who asks the truth....thanks for asking, now you have heard it from someone that actually lives here...

Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,487,378 times
No, it's not as bad as you 'hear'. I can almost guarantee you that.

You have to remember that the word "poor" is subjective!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 19,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I have been told that areas around Grayson,Pikeville,Hazard and places near by are among the poorest areas in the US according to the poorest 100 communities report if someone could please tell me is the situation down there is bad as i hear? please wright back

The board isnt allowing me to post a link right now but if you will go to google and search for '100 poorest counties' the first result that comes up is a very good page.

On that page you will read this:

Kentucky contains 16 of the 100 poorest counties in the US by per capita income. This is the second highest of any state behind North Dakota.

According to that same page Kentucky contains 29 of the poorest counties in the US by median household income. That is the most of any state.

If you will look at the accompanying maps on the right side of the page you will see that all of the above mentioned Kentucky counties are located in the south east area of the state.

-----------------------------------

I am originally from Casey County one of the counties in question. Casey is the 63rd poorest county in the nation by median household income.

Last edited by Dirt; 01-06-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,809,952 times
^^^As a native, what is your opinion of the area? Do you see any chance in the near future for the region to prosper?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,505,417 times
On a national median family income map, Eastern KY stands out as the poorest region in the US, rivaled only by the Mississippi Delta and Mexican border area.

http://www.raconline.org/maps/mapfiles/income.jpg

Poverty Map: http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_poverty.gif

Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 39,848 times
I live in one of the poorest counties in Kentucky. Jackson County. The reason ours is bad is because there is no interstate really close by, ( 35 miles away) Losts of hills and curves, dangerous driving in a bad winter. Truckers dont like it. Only a hand full of factories that because they have no competetion they only pay minimum wage.

Most here draw a check of some kind. Almost everyone is elegable for some kind of government help, welfare, food stamps.

It really is pretty safe, so long as you dont try to mess with someone. Everyone has a gun. Dont mess with thier signifacant other. 80 some churches here. Most people will come running to help in a crisis.

If you are not all about keeping up with the Jones, and like the simple life ... farming ( small) walking in the woods, small stores ( Dollar General) Walmart is 35 miles away... fishing, camping..... then this is a great place.

We are 99.5% White.... i think one black family and a couple mexicans. Pop 16000.
We are getting a new road thou that will make it easier for commerce, we are hoping for more jobs close to home.

Drugs, meth, bootleg liquor is around, dry county.... mainly for the poverty.... kids are bored, parents draw a check,,, bad things happen!

You will struggle with a family... but nicly retire here.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:18 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,074,968 times
thank you for all your imput ladies and gents!!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 11,929 times
I lived in Pikeville for five years. I couldn't wait to get out of there! There is a handfull of good people but for the most part a bunch of check drawin' pill heads! I ran a business there and finding people that wanted to work or that were not so wacked out was a struggle! I live in Ashalnd now and that is close to grayson! Grayson is great! Pike & Hazzard are over an hour from us...Thank God!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:47 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,530,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2978 View Post
No it isn't that bad.....I don't know where people get their info from. I live in Pikeville and the majority of the people that I know work and have jobs and make decent livings..There are alot of businesses and good people...I think that we get put down because of the location and I guess opinions vary, but most isn't true to what they say..I am glad that you asked this questions that way some people can tell you the truth....I guess when they do these reports they don't talk about the mining and the money that is here with these said mines...It ticks me off but its ok, I can tell anyone who asks the truth....thanks for asking, now you have heard it from someone that actually lives here...
A note from someone else who actually lives here..

My 20 year old grandson works in the mines..He just received his w-2 today..grossed $64,000. Saving money for engineering school so he can be a mine engineer..Another grandson is a quadraplegic, he is going tro Pikeville College..He is studying to be a psychologist and plans to practice here..I have 2 daughters who work at the Medical Center , one in the Heart Unit and one works in a stepdown unit..Both make a decent wage..My Husband retired from a well paying job and has a great retirement plan with medical insurance paid..Most of the people I know are working and contributing to this area..Some of the less fortunate are out of work due to injury, sickness or another personal problem..We help our poor people here by government assistance that our taxes pay for, but mostely we take care of them out of the kindness of neighbor helping neighbor..The criminals and druggies are dealt with swiftly and with maximum sentences..We have drug rehab centers to help those who want help..The people who put us down do not know us..I would never put anyones hometown down based on what I see on tv or read in some poll or website..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky