Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 06:20 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times

Advertisements

Well, the area of the state that probably sees the least amount of tornadoes is the SE corner of Ky over in the mountains. Other than that the entire state is severe weather tornado prone, esp western Ky.
Poverty can be found in pockets throughout the commonwealth, at its most extreme east and south east of Lexington. Crime by and by is way lower than the natl average but it does happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
where would the best, safest, cleanest area be for country living? would it be outside of Lex somewhere? Outside of Louisville somewhere, or outside of Cincinnati somewhere? (N KY)......which area is safest from Tornadoes? Sinkholes? and which is area would have the least crime? Best weather? thanks I was starting to look up around closer to Cinci as well, on the KY side....due to me being a northerner by birth, although I have lived on the west coast most my years....I read that someone said to be wary down by Somerset, as some desperate folks were known to steal copper and metal out of houses, when folks are away. I don't want to be too close to an area where the poverty is so extreme, that I will have to keep a handful of Doberman's around my property. Which I plan on raising up a couple pups anyway once I got into my property.
Definitely Louisville. Or else NKY. The rest of the state is too isolated and not as welcoming to outsiders since they do not move there as often. My advice for you...Oldham County, top 5 fastest growing counties in the state...probably the most upscale transplants, a growing housing market where you can gain equity, and beautiful rolling hills. 400k buys you a 5 bedroom palace on a half acre. Since it has Midwest elements, it will be less of a "culture shock." All of KY is very pretty though. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2014, 06:17 PM

23 posts, read 44,650 times
Honestly, I like Lexington and I like the option of heading to Lexington to eat or hang out at one of the local breweries or little restaurants. If I were not concerned with a job and wanted to move somewhere with some land I'd look in one of the surrounding counties or even Bath or Nicholas county. Or, more likely I'd toss such concerns out the window and just make a list of my favorite listings on Lexington-Bluegrass Association of Realtors ® LBAR.com.

I think people in Lexington are plenty friendly unless you catch them on some exceptionally bad day -or in traffic which can be a little maddening for anyone at times I wouldn't necessarily put you any further east than say Morehead due to your other requirements but I've also never run into any of the clannishness that folks claim abounds in eastern kentucky either.

I have less experience with western kentucky. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,351 times
thanks for the help guess I been looking at places like La Grange...to Carrolton, all the way to Berea, and north of Lex to Georgetown. So still stumped, guess I need to take a trip out there......

Old 07-21-2014, 01:46 PM

536 posts, read 961,311 times
I was traveling out west to Colorado. Saw a lot of pretty country.

Starrider that is the best way to know for sure what you think of an area. I just drove through La Grange and Carrolton on my way back and was wondering if you were still thinking about those areas. We drove through KS and MO, IL, IN and then back to KY again. The scenery kept on changing. But mostly farmy type green rolling pastures through MO on back to KY. KS was like two areas. high plains, flat, then rolling hills. I do miss the mountains in CO. Spent a week there.

With Berea you can see part of the mountains. Have you thought about around Knoxville area?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 PM

I have been to Knoxville once, many years ago, looked rather gritty to be honest, didn't like it. Nice country though around it. I don't think I am feeling TN, I am looking more at KY still, but more outside of Lexington, in the more rural areas. I hate to leave my rocky mountains behind here out west, but things have gotten pricy, even in Boise.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:07 AM

536 posts, read 961,311 times
Yeah that's what keeps me from settling back in Colorado. It's more expensive. Kentucky is nice. Can't go wrong there. Lots of variety from end to end. You mentioned Berea a couple of times. It's nice there. Land around Lexington can be pricey, but if you go more rural you can find things.

I've been to Knoxville a few times. I mentioned it because of the mountains.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 AM

I am also looking at NWA pretty hard too......have had eyes on that area for awhile now....pretty down there.....mountains and all.....but I heard the chiggers are real bad there...

Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 PM

10 posts, read 12,511 times
Sorry but there is no perfect place exists. I think you would be happier in WA if you are too concerned about all the stuff you mentioned in your thread... I used to live in Seattle and moved to Kentucky (Louisville) and I love it here. Of course, there are certain things I miss living in Seattle and Washington (actually, I used to live right outside of Seattle city limit) but you will need to compromise a lot of things in order to adjust to the new place... I can tell people are different, culture is different and climate, and everything is different here compared to WA. I do not think you should even worry about you being Northerner or Pacific North Westerner... The most important thing is your attitude towards others and new place. I am not either White or Black but most of my neighbors treat me as a human, not as race or nationality. I see so many transplants live in Louisville nowadays and they are from all over. I do not know the reason why they chose/moved to Louisville but I am sure, some people like it here and some don't. If you want to be happy where you are, you will need to put a lot of effort towards the community wherever you end up choosing to live. Hope this makes sense...

The reason I moved out of WA is mainly due to high cost of living as well as social climate (and some other personal reasons). When I was there, I tried hard to get to know my neighbors and try to get involved in community but there was always big wall that I could not break... It took me few years to actually start having nice conversation with some neighbors... Here, it did not take me that long to get to know people in my neighborhood... Overall, I like it here and am happier. I miss Seattle Summer though Sorry if my sentence does not make sense much...

Old 07-23-2014, 12:18 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot 2003 View Post
Sorry but there is no perfect place exists. I think you would be happier in WA if you are too concerned about all the stuff you mentioned in your thread... I used to live in Seattle and moved to Kentucky (Louisville) and I love it here. Of course, there are certain things I miss living in Seattle and Washington (actually, I used to live right outside of Seattle city limit) but you will need to compromise a lot of things in order to adjust to the new place... I can tell people are different, culture is different and climate, and everything is different here compared to WA. I do not think you should even worry about you being Northerner or Pacific North Westerner... The most important thing is your attitude towards others and new place. I am not either White or Black but most of my neighbors treat me as a human, not as race or nationality. I see so many transplants live in Louisville nowadays and they are from all over. I do not know the reason why they chose/moved to Louisville but I am sure, some people like it here and some don't. If you want to be happy where you are, you will need to put a lot of effort towards the community wherever you end up choosing to live. Hope this makes sense...

The reason I moved out of WA is mainly due to high cost of living as well as social climate (and some other personal reasons). When I was there, I tried hard to get to know my neighbors and try to get involved in community but there was always big wall that I could not break... It took me few years to actually start having nice conversation with some neighbors... Here, it did not take me that long to get to know people in my neighborhood... Overall, I like it here and am happier. I miss Seattle Summer though Sorry if my sentence does not make sense much...
I agree, even so I think the pro's far out weigh the con's. Louisville is a typical mid-sized city located in a traditionally very rural state. Kentucky's not for everyone but I can still think of a huge number of communities in and around Louisville Lexington that would be great candidates for you. I really think you should take a look at the Bardstown area... outside of Louisville or Shelbyville or LaGrange..

Outside of Lexington you have Danville, Harrodsburg, Nicholasville, Winchester, Georgetown, Paris....my goodness all kinds of places to consider!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky