Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
cool I am open to checking it out...does the state of KY have personal property taxes on vehicles that have to be pair ever year? Do cars require inspections every year as well? Any property tax exemptions for disabled veterans in KY? Thanks

Yes to your first question, no to the second (though you can be ticketed for burned-out headlights, etc. - usually a warning suffices ), and I am not sure of the answer to your last question. There is a homestead exemption for primary residences for taxpayers of "a certain age", however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 03:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
well I would prefer to stay out west, but I would get crap for anything under 200k, housing wise. Californians have jacked all the real estate up here on the west coast, imo. So looking for the next best region to relocate to, that is in my housing price range.....KY, might be best on the outskirts of Louisville, I am thinking. Even NWA, though there are some things about that area I am not nuts over. I am concerned on how heavy the tornado activity is though, in the southern Midwest.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 07-04-2014 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 08:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
well I would prefer to stay out west, but I would get crap for anything under 200k, housing wise. Californians have jacked all the real estate up here on the west coast, imo. So looking for the next best region to relocate to, that is in my housing price range.....KY, might be best on the outskirts of Louisville, I am thinking. Even NWA, though there are some things about that area I am not nuts over. I am concerned on how heavy the tornado activity is though, in the southern Midwest.
Tornadoes happen, but are rare. There are have been a couple decent sized ones on the outskirts of Louisville in the last 10 years. The last major outbreak in the city proper was in 1974 when quite extensive damage was done. Come on out to Louisville. You can buy a palace for 200k in the suburbs if you know where to look....about the same price 1000 sq foot costs you in Compton CA

Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 PM

I think being on the outskirts of Louisville in the country some, might be a good possibility, as I would have my country home to come home to, and on the weekends I could head into Louisville for some entertainment, thinking that might be the best way to go? If I choose KY of course. One thing I have to say about Seattle, although, it has it bad aspects, it does have a high quality of life, there is not much heavy poverty to be seen, on the northern and eastern parts of the city, and the towns therein. So you get used to having the high quality of life, without much in the way of eyesores. Though downtown Seattle, being very beautiful, is loaded with homeless, druggies and etc., imo. But all cities seem to have some of that. I am sort of hoping to duplicate that nice, middle class, more or less, working class, clean suburbia, cool and safe neighborhood aspect, wherever I wind up, like what Seattle presented to me. Many parts of Seattle can spoil some folks, due to such a high quality of life therein, to be seen in all the clean, spotless, and beautiful neighborhoods.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 AM

536 posts, read 961,610 times
LaGrange or Carrolton might be worth checking out then if want to be closer to Louisville. There is a really nice park in Carrolton. It won't look like Seattle area! It is country living though. You'll have a mix of housing options. WA is beautiful. When I lived in Alaska we went there a lot. Alaska is beautiful too, but very, very expensive to live in, and harsh long cold winters to boot. I lived there 22 years.

I go to Colorado about three times a year to help out my folks. I would love to move there, but the cost of living is high, and price of property. We wouldn't be able to afford much out there, unless we went south, and it's not as pretty in that part. I do love Colorado though. I want to be farther west though since most my family will be around Colorado. I've been looking into OK, but if you don't like tornados, they do get them there, and most the houses don't have basements due to the soil and expense. Also checking out Western KY area.

If you like KY, then also check out Northern KY, like Walton. I love it there. It's about 5 minutes from me. It's a very nice city, with country and small city living. Farm land and all that. The taxes are higher there, but the school system is top notch, so you get what you pay for there. I know you are retired so probably don't have kids in school, but it's been my experience that if the schools are good, the area is normally good too. It has a very nice down town area. Old buildings and Victorian style homes. I shop there, and sometimes take the longer way on 25, so I can see all the farms and homes along the way. To me it's a peaceful drive. If I stayed in this area, I'd move there probably. You would be farther from Louisville though, about 70 miles, and then 60 to Lexington.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:19 AM

yea the only cheap place to live in CO is Pueblo, very desert like and hot and dry, and not the most desirable place to live from what I read....the whole front range of CO, from FT, Collins down to Colorado Springs, is pricy nowadays, and also very crowded...I looked at Murray, as that area also does not really get tornado hits....from what I read,...but it s pretty remote, there by the lakes... Paducah would be the place to shop at....I think I would rather be about 30 miles or so out of Lousiville, or Lex, for whenever I wanted to drive into the bigger city from my country home, for some R and R every now and then....

Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Pueblo has a river walk which I want to check out this time when I go out there. We do plan to look around. Yes, that area is more dessert like around Pueblo. Some parts aren't that great. Might find better prices for homes on the loop around Florence, CO.

Western KY is of interest to us. Like I said I want to go west from here when we move. They are on central time zone. Paducah would be the largest town in that corner I believe. Land Between the Lakes would be awesome, and not too far of a drive from there or Mayfield.

I understand wanting to be around a larger city, we toss that around a lot. Rural vs city. There are nice areas around both Lexington and Louisville. Just have to visit around to get a feel for the places. The traffic gets to us. Cincinnati is closer to me here, and I really hate going over there. I visit my mother in law, and I just hate all the traffic there. It can be nuts. Plus, I just don't care for Cincinnati. Rural living appeals to me more. We have that somewhat here now. Very small town. But not too far from stuff.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Pueblo has a river walk which I want to check out this time when I go out there. We do plan to look around. Yes, that area is more dessert like around Pueblo. Some parts aren't that great. Might find better prices for homes on the loop around Florence, CO.

Western KY is of interest to us. Like I said I want to go west from here when we move. They are on central time zone. Paducah would be the largest town in that corner I believe. Land Between the Lakes would be awesome, and not too far of a drive from there or Mayfield.

I understand wanting to be around a larger city, we toss that around a lot. Rural vs city. There are nice areas around both Lexington and Louisville. Just have to visit around to get a feel for the places. The traffic gets to us. Cincinnati is closer to me here, and I really hate going over there. I visit my mother in law, and I just hate all the traffic there. It can be nuts. Plus, I just don't care for Cincinnati. Rural living appeals to me more. We have that somewhat here now. Very small town. But not too far from stuff.
La Grange! It is your answer. Great place with some surrounding beautiful rolling green hills, horses, nearby river, and still close enough to the amenities of Louisville. Growing, but not overgrowing, and plenty of transplants and locals alike, replete with the states best school system.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:15 PM

what about Elizabethtown? Radcliffe versus Berea, Paris or Georgetown? still trying in determine whether it is better to live in a rural area outside of L'ville, or Lex...

Old 07-08-2014, 07:06 PM

Elizabethtown is more rural and not off a major highway. Berea, Paris and Georgetown, they are off of I-75 so easy to commute to Lexington. The major employer for Georgetown and Paris is the Toyota plant in Georgetown. Land is more expensive around there. Berea as I've posted before is an artsy college town. Has a paved bike path that goes all over town. You can just see the starting of the mountains in Berea, more like large hills. It's a pretty area. Elizabethtown I have driven through. It's a small town, I don't know much about it. I have a friend who is from there, and his family were farmers. I don't know anything about Radcliffe, maybe someone else can help with those areas. The movie E-Town was filmed in Elizabethtown. It is called E-Town by the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky