Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times

Advertisements

Hi there don't know for sure If I will choose KY for retirement. But doing some research to help me make decision in next few months. Retired now, and in large city in the pacific northwest, and want out, from the horrible traffic, high cost of living, and what I am looking for is to learn about a few more rural locations outside of either Lexington or Louisville to consider, and what the better choices might be. Looking for a home with some acreage and 195k is as high as I will go. I cannot find anything in that price range on the west coast with a little acreage for that price, which is what prompted me to start looking at places cheaper and where I could have a little acreage with a decent home in my price range. The only place so far, I am aware of that seems nice, is...Berea. I would hope for:

homes with some acreage under 195k

friendly people

safe area without lots of crime and meth issues and problem's like that

pretty nature

driving distance to VA hospital (within like 50 miles distance to VA)

rural and peaceful area

place that is open to outsiders thanks for help blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:28 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,263 times
As I guess you already know, Lex has a VA hospital, and I would think you could find what you are looking for in your price range within an hour's drive, depending on how big a house you need, and size property you desire. The rest of your requirements describe most of rural KY!!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 AM

Oh, and WELCOME!!!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,999 times
We relocated to KY 4 yrs ago from NC.. Were now relocating to SC and have a home for sale in the country that sits on 3 acres and features an open floor plan with 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, eat in kitchen, living room and family room, finished basement. The back deck is a great place to entertain family and friends. The hot tub is a private oasis that can be enjoyed year round. City amenities such as shopping, dining, schools and recreation are just a few short miles away. We see an abundance of wildlife out here.. lots of birds, deer, turkeys, groundhogs, rabbits, foxes, coyotes, cows, horses, etc.. even seen an Alligator snapping turtle roaming through the yard yesterday.. And as far as friendly people go, this is the friendliest area we have ever lived in!! Its a great place for retirement!
Not sure how big of a house your looking for, this one is 1819 sq ft split level..was built in 2009. Were located in Cecilia KY 10 miles outside of Elizabethtown, 15 mins from Fort Knox, 45-50 miles South of Louisville, 1 1/2 hour from Lexington..

Last edited by wolfeyes; 04-15-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Hi there don't know for sure If I will choose KY for retirement. But doing some research to help me make decision in next few months. Retired now, and in large city in the pacific northwest, and want out, from the horrible traffic, high cost of living, and what I am looking for is to learn about a few more rural locations outside of either Lexington or Louisville to consider, and what the better choices might be. Looking for a home with some acreage and 195k is as high as I will go. I cannot find anything in that price range on the west coast with a little acreage for that price, which is what prompted me to start looking at places cheaper and where I could have a little acreage with a decent home in my price range. The only place so far, I am aware of that seems nice, is...Berea. I would hope for:

homes with some acreage under 195k

friendly people

safe area without lots of crime and meth issues and problem's like that

pretty nature

driving distance to VA hospital (within like 50 miles distance to VA)

rural and peaceful area

place that is open to outsiders thanks for help blessings
Louisville is building a brand new, state of the art VA facility at I-264 at Westport Rd to open in 2017 (the current VA is an older but still great facility at I-71 and Zorn Avenue. Because of this, I think La Grange, Goshen, Prospect, and Crestwood are the premiere areas too look in probably the best school district in the state which means one of the best housing markets in the state and certainly one of the fastest growing counties that still maintains a mostly rural character--Oldham County. Because of its growth, Oldham is among the most open to outsiders and still has lots of land, especially in the NE portion of the county, beyond Lagrange. That area is still within 30 miles of the VA, and it will be about 20 miles to the new VA that opens in 2017-2018.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:50 PM

thanks a lot for the information

Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Fifty miles from either VA center in Lexington and Louisville covers a lot of area, to include southern Indiana. I own a place that meets all your criteria, has nearly 30 acres, and its within 20 minutes of Louisville airport. Problem is its not farming land, just woods. Keep in mind if you buy ten or more farming acreage, you get a big tax break in property taxes in Kentucky. How much land with the house is your goal? How big of a house?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:09 PM

looking for a home at least 1800 sq ft, prefer over 2000 sq ft, with at least 2 acres or more. Under or around 190k. I just don't know enough about life in Kentucky just yet, I have reading that there is a lot of stuck-up-ness, in Lexington though, which concerns me. PM with any pics or with any more info on homes for sale, or an MLS number. I still have no idea where in Kentucky would suit me just yet, this early in the game though, as far as what area to consider. Still educating about it. VA loan may not allow for much acreage above 5 acres, not sure. Not saying I am moving to KY, I am just researching at this point.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
looking for a home at least 1800 sq ft, prefer over 2000 sq ft, with at least 2 acres or more. Under or around 190k. I just don't know enough about life in Kentucky just yet, I have reading that there is a lot of stuck-up-ness, in Lexington though, which concerns me. PM with any pics or with any more info on homes for sale, or an MLS number. I still have no idea where in Kentucky would suit me just yet, this early in the game though, as far as what area to consider. Still educating about it. VA loan may not allow for much acreage above 5 acres, not sure. Not saying I am moving to KY, I am just researching at this point.
I dont think Lexington is stuck up. It is very friendly. However Louisville is more my cup of tea. Lex has this genteel southern "fraternity" vibe. Louisville is a bigger city by a long shot but it is more diverse and has more Midwest sensibility and charm with a southern friendly flair.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:17 AM

A good place to start researching real estate is www.lbar.com. You can search by price, area, size of property/house, etc. Very easy website and you don't have to register or sign up for anything! Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky