Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:37 PM

52 posts, read 154,612 times

Advertisements

I've followed this thread for awhile and just had to comment.

I've lived in Wisconsin all my life -- was raised in a town with a population of 1,200. I got married and moved to a town with a population of 600. When you needed anything, you had to drive about an hour to Green Bay. I got divorced 11 years ago and moved to the Green Bay area. I do enjoy having things closeand there are a lot of those so called amenities. The city I live in has grown from approx. 12,000 to 22,000 in the last 10 years and now it has suburbs. Growth can be a good thing but not always.

I'll be coming down to Kentucky on November 2nd and I won't be looking at any city over 25,000, actually hope to find something between 2,500 and 10,000. I had no intention of visiting the Pikeville area but after this thread, I've decided to add it to my list of places to visit.

Everyone has different ideas as to where would make them happy. I'd move to Eastern Kentucky in a heartbeat if the job market was better. I'd love to listen to the older residents tell their stories as they are a vital part of our heritage and won't be on this earth that much longer. So what if my neighbors saw me come and go all the time -- I'm alone and I'd appreciate the fact that someone kept an eye on me. It's all a matter of how you view things.

Small towns, regardless of what state they're in, aren't for everybody but they are good for some people -- including me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 02:53 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Default Ho, there gb lady

Thank you for the encourageing words about our sweer mountain home...A few of the people who have commented on the lack of high paying jobs in this area don't consider that the cost of living here is lower than a lot of bigger cities..You may want to go on line at
Pike County Chamber of Commerce. There are really excellent links there..

If you do decide to visit, give me a shout..We'll have lunch

Old 10-23-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the link and I'll check it out.

Lunch would be great!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 AM

Blue62 -

I checked out the link you gave me and must say I was somewhat disappointed because I was expecting the streets to be lined with covered wagons. Maybe Pikeville's not quite that far behind the times so now my new hope is to find a tie died miniskirt like the one I gave away in the 70's in one of the stores and always regretted.

Seriously, I was pleasantly surprised to see the number of banks and CPA firms in the area as I will be looking for employment as a secretary in one of those two fields.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
I think you will find that the stereotyping is just an amusement for people who watch the TV documentaries We are also not 20 years behind the times (whatever that means) Nope, we have Dsl, cable TV and cell phones

Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 AM

21 posts, read 106,318 times
Default Sorry

Yea I was up there but I have been so busy moving and stuff. I moved to Virgie and hated it , so now I am back on Zebulon. There at the tracks before the fire dept..So sorry I didn't stop by and have not been on in a while...Busy Busy Busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Hmmmph..You were right here and didn't stop by

Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,766 times
I believe it is up to the newcomer on how he will be accepted in the community. He has the power. No matter where you go, people are basically the same. My advice, if you want to move to a place, move. Give it a couple of years before you decide if you like it or not. Once you arrive to your new town, don't expect the natives to embrace you. You need to embrace the culture. Show that you are truly interested in the town and it's customs. Learn the history of the town. Above all, DO NOT talk about how much better things are where you came from. Be friendly, polite and have good manners. Have a good attitude. No matter how homesick you "feel", don't mope around because you are away from your home. People are naturally drawn to positive people. If you do all those things, you will be embraced and accepted by the natives. That is when you will start to like the place you moved to and it will "feel" like home. No matter where you go, it's always the attitude you put forth that determines how well you will be accepted.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,517 times
OMG i still live in pikeville and im bored as hell this place sucks there is nothing but a bunch of dumbass rednecks here i cant wait till i move out of this hell hole there is no opportunity here or entertainment the only thing we got is some boring old expo center and they cant book a show to save there ****ing lives i mean i went to a zz top concert and i ain't been to the place for 4 whole months not because i didn't wont to go its because there was nothing showing for 4 whole months,talk about a waste. Im embarrassed to live here.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:46 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,504 times
Default highliner

Well, by all means take the fast track out of pukeville! Lexington and Louisville are still accepting newcomers- you'll feel like its christmas time- unlike that dump you're stuck in right now!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:40 AM

276 posts, read 793,170 times
[quote=nathanboggs25;3339697]OMG i still live in pikeville and im bored as hell this place sucks there is nothing but a bunch of dumbass rednecks here i cant wait till i move out of this hell hole there is no opportunity here or entertainment the only thing we got is some boring old expo center and they cant book a show to save there ****ing lives i mean i went to a zz top concert and i ain't been to the place for 4 whole months not because i didn't wont to go its because there was nothing showing for 4 whole months,talk about a waste. Im embarrassed to live here.[/QUOT

Great example of a run on sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky