Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,631 times

Advertisements

I joined this forum simply to put some things straight!

To be completely honest i detest the warped views about people from the area where I live! I am educated, and being educated! I am attending Morehead State University with a concentration in geology and minor in art. There is a fantastic private college in Pikeville (pikeville college) and there are also several accredited community colleges in the area with very intelligent people teaching and attending these schools. MOST people around here are like people from anywhere else. Yes there is poverty, there are a few redneck and 'backwards' people but not everyone is, and most people are not. Also, just because a individual is not from this area does not mean every single person in Pike county is going to not like you, that is completely ridiculous and stereotypical. These people that have negative things to say must be 'small minded' or paranoid...the way they speak of every single person as being ignorant and teenagers being satanists! I personally think that this satanist concept is hilarious! having graduated Belfry high School in 2004 I knew not one satanist at my high school, or any that attended any other of the many high schools in Pike County. In fact, I am a 21 year old proud Christian who enjoys going to church and helping out with Church activities.
Bad people come from everywhere, not just Pikeville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 02:17 AM

246 posts, read 1,056,883 times
Default highliner

Nah-everybody knows that 'bad people' actually all come from Meta!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:24 AM

21 posts, read 106,221 times
Well People I know I am new here but I ran up on this place looking for some property. I like in Pikeville, not really the city area but moreso into the county. Some of the things that people are saying are outlandish. We are good people and new people fit in just as well. My best friend came here from Chicago and to tell the truth, she swears she will never move back home..There is poverty and there is wealth. I live in a "holler" and there is about the same amount of poverty as there is wealth. I was raised in a middle classed home and my father worked as a miner , same as he is today. We had a great life and then I had some very good friends down the road that wasn't as unfortunate, but our parents taught us good values, and we shared our things with them...So anyone can sit here and say anything they like about people, but the fact is you go to a city and you get onto these streets that have just as much poverty. So you look at it like this ...We personally don't have streets that just have poverty or wealth we are all mixed in together. I am not one that lives a bad life I don't have alot of money but my husband does haul coal for a living and makes decent wages. I don't go without no my kids, he has great health insurance..
To attempt the comments about education..I also have a education. I did go to college, it was a community college, but all the same it was an education..
As to being shunned if you come here. Not going to happen. It is exciting to meet new people and get an outlook on others lives and where they are from. It is all in how you treat the people you are meeting. If you act like you are better then they will treat you like your not.
The worshiping of Satan...Naw its nothing like that. Some do yes, but its not the norm or anything. Just like any other place...the dead cat or dog whatever it was on the door. That is plain crazy. I have lived here all my life and have never seen anything like that..This is mostly a Christian based community..Oh and also about the family murders..that the lady was talking about killing the family and throwing them in a ditch. Yes the people were from around here but it took place in Tenn..It DID NOT HAPPEN HERE..They were some kind of cult and have some mental issues and they has been about 5 or 6 years ago and has only been that incident, that Iam aware of..
So everyone this is my insite. It may or may not be what you want to hear, but what I am telling is the truth..I personally love it here and at times I do call my Mother , "MOMMY". Depending on what I want. I think it is rather endearing..I love my mother and you think about people being Mamma's kinds. Oboviously she did something right to make her kids love her so much..So think what you like, its your opinion..
SO before I close , I have one more thing to say. I have lived in a city or 2 in my time and when I get to see those mountains, I feel like a 1000 pounds have been lifted off my shoulds...
Thanks for listening..

Old 09-07-2007, 08:29 AM

Wait a minute. I live on Meta...Ha Ha very funny. I am not bad, nor will I ever be.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
I have to ask what is Meta?

Old 09-09-2007, 02:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Default To bm2978 in Meta

Hey, I live in Zebulon..On Winns Branch..Just across the bridgeStop in the next time you go to town and have a cup of coffee, and sit a spellMy kids still call me mommy and the grandbabies call me mammaw..I was born and raised in and around big cities..but there is no place like my home in the mountains..IMO, this is as good as it gets.. Anyone else close by?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:32 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Welcome Back blue62!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:30 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I have to ask what is Meta?
.Meta and Zebulon are juat areas outside of Pikeville..Verysmall communities on US119 North..Lots of nice people working and raising their families

Old 09-16-2007, 08:45 AM

I was up Winns Branch just last week. My son has a little girlfriend that lives up there somewhere..I was up there looking for a place to rent until my husband and I start trying to buy...Your talking about the nice area there when you cross the bridge..Yes I know where you are talking about...

Old 09-16-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Meta

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
.Meta and Zebulon are juat areas outside of Pikeville..Verysmall communities on US119 North..Lots of nice people working and raising their families

Yes it is a very small area. A few stores, small businesses ( one of which my father owns) theres a school. Thats primarly it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky