Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 11:56 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,411,487 times

Advertisements

I'm a guy traveling solo to Kauai for a 1 week getaway from Seattle. What is the best part of the island for me to stay? South side? East side? North Shore? I plan to just explore the island during my week doing a mix of hiking/swimming/snorkeling and relaxing. I just need very basic accommodations since it's just myself. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 03:07 PM

69 posts, read 100,173 times
Personally I thought the south side around Poi'pu was magical. The snorkeling was magnificent, but so was snorkeling Anini in the north. We went to Kekaha and it was gorgeous but the ocean was a little grumpy and we decided to try again on another day.
Aloha, have a great time.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm a guy traveling solo to Kauai for a 1 week getaway from Seattle. What is the best part of the island for me to stay? South side? East side? North Shore? I plan to just explore the island during my week doing a mix of hiking/swimming/snorkeling and relaxing. I just need very basic accommodations since it's just myself. Thanks.
If you plan on a lot of exploring - why not just stay a few nights in the Poipu area in the south and a few nights up north around Princeville.

It is a lot of slow driving to commute between the 2 areas - so rather than spending a lot of time in the car, you can explore closer to each area.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you plan on a lot of exploring - why not just stay a few nights in the Poipu area in the south and a few nights up north around Princeville.

It is a lot of slow driving to commute between the 2 areas - so rather than spending a lot of time in the car, you can explore closer to each area.
This sounds like a good idea whtviper1. I might look into staying a few nights in each area.

Thanks for your experience Kaua'i Jim, it sounds like from the guidebooks I'm reading Poi'pu is a tremendous beach. Is the South Side generally sunnier this time a year than the East Side or North Side?

Old 01-11-2015, 04:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:

Is the South Side generally sunnier this time a year than the East Side or North Side?
The south side of Kauai is much more sunnier than the north side - we are in the rainy season right now though (thru end of April) - you could have a solid week of sun - a solid week of pouring rain (the entire island) - and everything in between.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:09 PM

69 posts, read 100,173 times
Quote:
This sounds like a good idea whtviper1. I might look into staying a few nights in each area.

Thanks for your experience Kaua'i Jim, it sounds like from the guidebooks I'm reading Poi'pu is a tremendous beach. Is the South Side generally sunnier this time a year than the East Side or North Side?
Poi'pu was amazing, there and Brennecke's beach had humpbacks, sea turtles, humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa, and beautiful coral structures. We were there a little over 3 weeks and had one solid day of rain and spotty showers twice, but they blew away quickly.
Had to come back and finish the school year and then'll be back.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The south side of Kauai is much more sunnier than the north side - we are in the rainy season right now though (thru end of April) - you could have a solid week of sun - a solid week of pouring rain (the entire island) - and everything in between.
Thanks for the info. Maybe I should wait until after end of April to go. Sounds like a big risk to go to Hawaii and have it possibly rain non-stop the whole week I'm there. That would be a major bummer.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:57 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,548 times
I like the Whtviper1's idea of staying in different areas during your vacation. We started doing this a few years ago and it has really worked out great. I've found that we spend much less time driving and more time doing fun things! One suggestion though, pack as light as possible.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM

198 posts, read 387,134 times
If you are going during the summer months, then you must stay on the North Shore. IMO

Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiPono View Post
If you are going during the summer months, then you must stay on the North Shore. IMO
And where would you stay in winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai