Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:36 AM

113 posts, read 164,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
And where would you stay in winter?
During the winter on the north shore the waves can be dangerous and swimming on most beaches is not a good idea, the summer though the waves are calmer. The exact opposite happens on the south shore, so the south shore is better for swimming and ocean activities in the winter. If you are not planning to do ocean activities the north shore is fine at any time of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 01:49 PM

198 posts, read 388,610 times
What HanapepePuppy said... 100%

Old 01-18-2015, 12:07 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,292,670 times
We stayed in Kapaa, which is centrally located for driving around the island. The prices are less in Kapaa than Princeville. If you're interested, you can DM me and I will recommend an exact place to stay.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:06 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,433,388 times
Thanks davephan. Today is my last day in Kauai. I stayed in Kapaa my whole time in Kauai and I think for me it's the overall best part of the island to stay. I like that it is central and I like the vibe much, much, much better than Poi'pu. It has a lot of stores and restaurants too. I was not as much of a fan of Princeville or Poi'pu, I thought both places felt more sterile big box resort-ish, I'm not a fan personally of big resorts. Kapaa has a cool old town that feels a little earthy and I love Kealia Beach. IMO Kealia beach MUCH nicer than any beaches I saw in Poi'pu. I thought Poi'pu was specifically very overrated. The North Side of Kauai is knock out drop dead gorgeous.

Overall I loved Kauai as a getaway. I could do maybe 3-4 days here max and then I would be bored out of my mind I guess I'm just not a good beach vacation guy. I just feel like I need to be doing stuff and getting work done. I can't just sit idle on beaches for long doing nothing and hiking. After a few days I go stir crazy. But overall huge, gigantic thumbs up for Kauai...possibly one of the most (if not THE) most beautiful island in the world (especially the north side).

Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,038,391 times
Quote:
Today is my last day in Kauai.
Congrats. You had a spectacular week of weather. You never know this time of the year.

We had the hottest summer I can remember. An incredibly cold winter to start the season. Pouring rains. And now back to warm/hot and sunny lately.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:53 AM

133 posts, read 183,500 times
sounds like you had a great trip. we were in kauai for two weeks over the holidays and it was cold and stormy at the tail end of it - like 3 blankets cold. i like going to kauai because it's really relaxing - i usually get bored at day 5... then, it kinda tapers off to chill mode.

polihale beach park near kekaha is the most beautiful beach imo. but, very rough in the winter. nice in the summer, though.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:29 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,831,766 times
Quote:
I could do maybe 3-4 days here max and then I would be bored out of my mind.
Hmmmmmm... We spent 10 days on Kauai, including going to Niʻihau for a day. We were busy all the time, never even came close to getting bored and didn't have enough time to do everything and see everything that we wanted to. Therefore, we are going back for another 10 day trip in 2016!

I'm curious, why didn't you get out and do more?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:32 PM

312 posts, read 1,378,467 times
I was surprised too that you said after 3-4 days you'd be bored. I guess you're not looking for stuff to do? I've never run out of things to do and I'm fortunate enough to get to go to all major islands every year. There's definitely more to all the islands than lazing around on a beach doing nothing; beaches are just the tip of the iceberg in Hawaii!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:56 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,292,670 times
Quote:
Thanks davephan. Today is my last day in Kauai. I stayed in Kapaa my whole time in Kauai and I think for me it's the overall best part of the island to stay. I like that it is central and I like the vibe much, much, much better than Poi'pu. It has a lot of stores and restaurants too. I was not as much of a fan of Princeville or Poi'pu, I thought both places felt more sterile big box resort-ish, I'm not a fan personally of big resorts. Kapaa has a cool old town that feels a little earthy and I love Kealia Beach. IMO Kealia beach MUCH nicer than any beaches I saw in Poi'pu. I thought Poi'pu was specifically very overrated. The North Side of Kauai is knock out drop dead gorgeous.

Overall I loved Kauai as a getaway. I could do maybe 3-4 days here max and then I would be bored out of my mind I guess I'm just not a good beach vacation guy. I just feel like I need to be doing stuff and getting work done. I can't just sit idle on beaches for long doing nothing and hiking. After a few days I go stir crazy. But overall huge, gigantic thumbs up for Kauai...possibly one of the most (if not THE) most beautiful island in the world (especially the north side).
I think you picked the perfect part of the island to day, centrally located from everything. The prices are less in Kapaa than Princeville. There are lots of stores and restaurants in the area too. You probably enjoyed the nice walking paths next to the ocean. The path goes on for several miles.

We only stayed a few days in Kauai, but we could easily stay two or three weeks, and still not see everything.

Maybe you should have brought along a laptop, so you could get some work done remotely. I did a little work with my laptop, but there was plenty to do on the island, even it it is just relaxing in a nice tropical area. Every day away from the frozen tundra in the winter is a blessing.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:01 PM

63 posts, read 188,992 times
Default hopping on this thread

Hi,

I read this thread with interest. We (myself, my wife and our 6 yr old son) are planning on our first trip to HI ever - we are relatively new transplants to the Pacific NW and are looking forward to spending the April school break in HI (as many Seattleites apparently do...). We are looking for a relatively quiet area to rent a house or cottage for a week - do most of our cooking for ourselves and explore some beaches for swimming/snorkeling, search out some hiking and poke around a bit. Several people have mentioned that Kauai might be a good island for us to spend the week. Does anybody have any recommendations for a part of the island which is a bit quiet? Our search may certainly be limited to what it still available on VRBO... It would be great to be close to a small town with a grocery store and maybe a few places to eat. We are really hoping for a mellow spot... Thanks.

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai