Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 11:00 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times

Advertisements

Is there a map of Jackson anywhere that display the name and location of the neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 10:39 PM

772 posts, read 999,523 times
I don't think so, but there are maps outlining the different police precincts & the wards (1-7). Are there any neighborhoods in particular that you are looking for?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:27 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,696 times
Just to give a few details:

Downtown: Fortification to the north, Jefferson to the east, US 80 to the south, Gallatin to the west
NE Jackson: I-55 to the west, E. County Line to the north, Lakeland to the south, Pearl River to the east
Fondren: Meadowbrook to the north, I-55 to the east, Woodrow Wilson to the south, West Street to the west
Belhaven: Fortification to the south, I-55 to the east, Woodrow Wilson to the north, West Street to the west
Midtown: West Street to the east, Woodrow Wilson to the north, Fortification to the south, Mill Street to the west
South Jackson: everything south of I-20

Old 04-20-2015, 03:19 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Just to give a few details:

Downtown: Fortification to the north, Jefferson to the east, US 80 to the south, Gallatin to the west
NE Jackson: I-55 to the west, E. County Line to the north, Lakeland to the south, Pearl River to the east
Fondren: Meadowbrook to the north, I-55 to the east, Woodrow Wilson to the south, West Street to the west
Belhaven: Fortification to the south, I-55 to the east, Woodrow Wilson to the north, West Street to the west
Midtown: West Street to the east, Woodrow Wilson to the north, Fortification to the south, Mill Street to the west
South Jackson: everything south of I-20
Virden Addition?
Washington Addition?
Georgetown?
Eastover?
Leftover?
Lakeover?
Woodlea?
Woodhaven?
West Jackson?

Old 04-20-2015, 05:12 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,696 times
It was a few details.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Golden Eagles Fan and Jackson Panther that's what I'm looking for and by the way I'm currently in Hub City.
A map similar to how Wikipedia have a map of Chicago communities outlined for example, obviously it's a heavily dense city, and I was thinking someone should use google map to create a custom map that the city could use in the future.
North side Communities: etc.
West side Communities: etc.
South side Communities: etc.

Along with a basic history info.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
If you try Google Maps and zoom to a certain level, you can find the names of neighborhoods in Jackson.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Golden Eagles Fan and Jackson Panther that's what I'm looking for and by the way I'm currently in Hub City.
A map similar to how Wikipedia have a map of Chicago communities outlined for example, obviously it's a heavily dense city, and I was thinking someone should use google map to create a custom map that the city could use in the future.
North side Communities: etc.
West side Communities: etc.
South side Communities: etc.

Along with a basic history info.
If you're looking for history, some of the neighborhoods already listed above like West Jackson, most of the neighborhoods over there were built anywhere from the early 1900s to the 1950s at the latest! This used to be the rich side of town, but after Eastover began construction in east Jackson in 1948, gradually the rich folks moved to that side of town, and now West Jackson is Lil' Detroit with whole streets just abandoned & poverty raging through the area. The only thing keeping the area alive I guess would be the Jackson Zoo, & even that has been considered for a move to east Jackson, but the zoo thinks it's too costly to do so.

JP listed Leftover & Eastover, & basically, the history of these two areas are, Leftover is on the west side of Ridgewood Road in east Jackson, and that's the older section of Eastover with most of those houses being built in the 40s, 50s, & 60s, with the east side of Ridgewood being Eastover, because most of those homes are newer and they are more grander than the ones in Leftover. But don't be swayed, property values on both sides of Ridgewood are high! Eastover was begun in 1948 by Jackson mayor Leland Speed, who is the father of now retired NASCAR driver Lake Speed.

Woodhaven is located in NW Jackson more toward Ridgeland & I-220, but it's an upper middle class neighborhood with extravagant homes, & some regular average joe homes. It's a nice & safe neighborhood and most of the homes there were built in the 70s, 80s, & 90s.

One nobody seems to have mentioned is Alta Woods. Alta Woods was/is South Jackson's equivalent to downtown Jackson's Belhaven neighborhood. The homes in Alta Woods were/is upscale, and there 2 homes I believe right as you turn onto Alta Woods Blvd off of Terry Road, that have long, long driveways up to these 2 or 3 story homes that are extravagant, or at least they were for their time. Alta Woods was built in the 30s, 40s, 50s, & possibly 60s, but that would be the latest I would say for homes being built there. The neighborhood unfortunately began declining with the rest of South Jackson in the 90s, and the decline has only worsened. Property values are unfortunately low, as I've heard Alta Woods has suffered from drug problems in the past few years. The homes there today are still nice, but the area is one that local people know to avoid unfortunately.

There's also Midtown, which is centered around the CN railroad in the downtown area. In past decades Midtown has suffered from huge drug problems, but recently the area has made a huge comeback with it becoming an artsy neighborhood with local shops opening up from DJs to artists, to comic books! Midtown is on it's way to becoming the next Fondren. Homes in Midtown range from the 20s to the 50s at the latest.

Downtown, believe it or not IS a neighborhood. Downtown does have it's fair share of loft apartments, and more on the way as of right now! There are no homes per say downtown, other than what's out on North State Street, which are old, old antebellum homes. Some of are those are still residential today, but most of them have either been demolished, or rezoned for commercial use.

Then on to Belhaven, which is located close to downtown in the Central area of Jackson across from historic Millsaps College, & home to a historic college of it's own, Belhaven University, Belhaven is one of Jackson's most historic & beautiful neighborhoods, containing homes of some of Jackson's mayors & authors, such as Mayor Allen C. Thompson & Eudora Welty, who lived & died in Belhaven, and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery downtown. Homes in Belhaven range from the early 1900s to the 70s at the latest, with apartments being built at that time.

Fondren is the happening place in Jackson for young people, as it is the art district of our city, & it's also home to a lot of different types of people! Most of Fondren is historic, and the homes in Fondren range from the 20s to the 70s at the latest.

The GI Subdivision in North Jackson, which was built in the mid to late 40s, to accommodate soldiers coming back from World War II that didn't have a home to come home too. The neighborhood is still very nice, with diverse group of people living there.

Right next to that is the Broadmoor neighborhood, that was built between the 30s & the 50s. It's still a nice neighborhood for the most part.

Next to that is Cedars of Lebanon, and these houses range from the 30s to the 50s as well, but this isn't really a nice neighborhood to live in anymore. A lot of criminals live here now, & the neighborhood has it's fair share of crimes.

Further up from that, at the County Line is Tougaloo College, and Tougaloo itself is a community/neighborhood with homes ranging from the 30s to the 80s or 90s at the latest. Tougaloo College is a historic Black college, so the area is historically mostly Black. The neighborhoods are hit & miss really, some are nicer than others, just avoid the apartment complexes in the area.

Back to the east side, there are neighborhoods like Ridgewood Park, Northpointe, River Oaks, Colonial, etc. These are comprised under the NE Jackson roof, which most of the homes here were built between the 30s, & at the latest the 90s to early 00s. NE Jackson is still a great place to live and the homes are very nice, although the area sometimes has problems because a few of the apartment complexes built in the area have declined over time. Three that come to mind are the Crossings at Ridgewood, Arlington, & Northtown Apartments get the police called to them a lot. There's a subdivision of townhomes called Jamestown Way, which are townhomes built in the late 80s/early 90s and they too are in rough shape, although they don't illicit much trouble out of the residents there. NE Jackson is also home to the Reserves of Jackson, a middle class to upper middle class apartment complex that is really nice. Also in NE Jackson is the Jackson Country Club, which is gated & features a golf course that was recently home to the Sanderson Farms Golf Championship. JCC was built in the 1960s after making the move from West Jackson. The Colonial Country Club was formerly in NE Jackson as well centered in the Colonial neighborhood that was once anchored by Colonial Heights Baptist Church, that has since moved to Ridgeland, & New Jerusalem Church has since taken over the old CHBC campus. CCC closed in early 2014, basically because more people were going to the JCC up the road. CCC had been built in the mid 40s, and is currently vacant, as the community decides what exactly should happen to the property.

Then finally I think, there is South Jackson. I touched on Alta Woods earlier, but South Jackson as a has houses ranging from the 40s, into the 50s when the area exploded in growth, to as late as the 10s, because Timber Falls on Raymond Road is a recent subdivision built that has nice middle class homes. Much like West Jackson, South Jackson has declined over the years, due to rising crime there. I will say, that South Jackson is probably safer than West Jackson, and I always have a joke that property values in South Jackson are most likely higher than the ones in West Jackson, just because West Jackson is so horrible.

Oh yeah, & NW Jackson as a whole, which would probably be included in West Jackson, has the Queens neighborhood, which is a pretty dangerous neighborhood, but the homes there were built between the 50s & the 70s, and the Presidential Hills neighborhood that was built in honor of our Presidents, and every street in the neighborhood bears a President's name. Presidential Hills, historically is a Black neighborhood, and to this day it still is a majorly Black neighborhood. The homes here are nice, but unfortunately it is not situated in a safe area.

I'm pretty sure I missed something, but I tried to touch on most everything I know about the neighborhoods and communities here in Jackson!

Old 04-21-2015, 01:03 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
If you're looking for history, some of the neighborhoods already listed above like West Jackson, most of the neighborhoods over there were built anywhere from the early 1900s to the 1950s at the latest! This used to be the rich side of town, but after Eastover began construction in east Jackson in 1948, gradually the rich folks moved to that side of town, and now West Jackson is Lil' Detroit with whole streets just abandoned & poverty raging through the area.

Not ALL of West Jackson was wealthy. There were neighborhoods along Robinson Road that were middle class, back when one bathroom and a single carport constituted that category.

How is the neighborhood like around Holy Family Catholic Church on Forest Avenue in North Jackson? This is the parish my priest and his family (his parents and siblings) attended when they lived in Jackson in the 1970s and 1980s.

http://goo.gl/maps/kJHUF

Old 04-21-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Not ALL of West Jackson was wealthy. There were neighborhoods along Robinson Road that were middle class, back when one bathroom and a single carport constituted that category.

How is the neighborhood like around Holy Family Catholic Church on Forest Avenue in North Jackson? This is the parish my priest and his family (his parents and siblings) attended when they lived in Jackson in the 1970s and 1980s.

http://goo.gl/maps/kJHUF
If you're referring to the area around Kirkley Drive and such, I'd say it's an all right area. Forest Avenue has had some troubles over the last several years, and there are a few shady apartment complexes there as well, but overall it's not bad really. The neighborhoods in that area are quiet, and some of the homes are quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson