Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:57 PM

211 posts, read 548,384 times

Advertisements

We are looking at possible relocation to the Centerville area, specifically Seymour. Can anyone tell me about the area: taxes, neighborhoods (good & bad), prices of homes, scenery, things to do, shopping, etc. Also, if you live there, do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,101 times
Welcome to Centerville (maybe)!

I was hoping Mercruisedr would take the first crack at this, but I'll do what I can. I admit, I know very little about Seymour, so I'll focus on Centerville.

Centerville is a charming and scrappy little town. It's a good, quiet, safe place to raise a family. There's some poverty, but most folks get by. There's some crime, but mostly "nuisance" crime; kids stealing things that should have been locked up, some vandalism, curfew breaking, etc. Robberies and violent crime are very, very, very rare. Houses will run you probably $70k to 80k for a nice, family-sized home in an average part of town. $120k will get you into the best neighborhoods. The schools are very good for a smaller school district. Good facilities, good class sizes. Just bear in mind that it is a smaller district--don't expect them to offer classes in Mandarin Chinese or anything.

As far as Centerville goes, avoid any house on E. Van Buren St. It's a small, two block area with a bad reputation. That's really the only area in town to avoid. The area around CHS and the city park is a really good area, but insist on a termite inspection with all the trees in the area. Golfview is a nice suburban-style subdivision just north of town. It's perceived as "high-class".

Centerville is a small town, Seymour even more so. There are a lot of great local shops, and a Wal-Mart, enough to cover most people's basic needs. You'll probably want to take a trip to Des Moines every once in a while to shop, most people do. There is a movie theater, several festivals, plays and concerts. Many people like to go to Rathbun Lake in the (for the?) summer. But don't be fooled. It's a small town, and you're going to have to make your own fun a lot of the time.

Southern Iowa really has incredibly underrated scenery. Lovely woody rolling hills and creeks. The Lake is very nice.

I grew up there (CHS '05) and hope to return once I graduate the UI, if I can find a job that suits my degree. The small-town lifestyle doesn't agree with everybody, but I'd recommend it.

Here are some links that might help you get a feel for the place. Feel free to post or PM any other questions you might have.:

Daily Iowegian
2009 Visitor's Guide
Hometown Realty (not an endorsement per se, there are several realtors in the area, just a link to give you an idea of the types/prices of homes on the market)

Old 11-10-2009, 02:18 AM

28 posts, read 107,443 times
I agree with everything above..... I'd just add that Seymour is indeed a very small, small town. I'd live in Centerville if possible. You'll go there to get everything you need. Seymour has a reputation for being a little "rough" and hickish. But I went to a rival school so take that with a grain of salt. Really just need to visit the area to get a feel for it I think. Corydon, on the other side of Seymour is also a nice (bigger) small town.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Thank you for the helpful info! My husband may have an opportunity to pastor a church in Seymour. Schools aren't an issue for us as we homeschool. We are low maintenance as far as needing things to do, we don't go to movies or bars. We do like to travel and go antiquing, we like to shop so Des Moines sounds like a place we would visit often if they have malls and such. Can you tell me about the winters? We are in Northern Michigan, it gets VERY cold, lots of snow. Is it bad out in Iowa? The housing is incredible! Way cheaper than here in MI! Also, I keep reading a lot about meth in Iowa, is it exaggerated? Would that be an issue in Centerville, as well as gangs?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,101 times
You guys sound like you'd get along fine in Centerville. There are several antique shops and lots of estate sales and such in the area.

The weather is sure to be milder than northern MI. Every year is different, but most years are fairly mild, with maybe one serious cold snap a winter. Snow a few times a winter, not much of a problem. One thing to watch for is ice, since it seems we're often right on line in a winter storm between snow and rain.

Gangs aren't a problem at all. Meth is still something of a problem, but it's much less of a problem than it once was. (Ever since they passed a law making it illegal to buy a ton of cold medicine at once.) It's not rare to hear of a handful of meth arrests in a year or so, down from several a month in the past.

Your husband may come across people who have struggled with meth addiction, or know those who are addicted still in his ministry. So while I doubt it will be a big issue in your daily life, it is something to be aware of.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 20,453 times
Default Seymour/Centerville are

I lived in Centerville for 37 years which is in Appanoose County. I now live in Wayne county in a small town known as Promise City which is close to the town of Seymour. Centerville has the largest shopping choices in the area. The property taxes there are higher than where I live now. I am not sure of the property tax rates in Seymour but you could contact a real estate agent and find out that information. You can do an internet search of the local offices and they show properties and have pics and the information that you are requesting.

Properties in Seymour are lower priced than in the Centerville area, getting more house for less and paying less taxes.

No matter where you live we are close to Lake Rathbun, about one and a half hours from Des Moines the capital of Iowa. Movie theaters located in Corydon and Centerville.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,473 times
I think you'd be fine in Seymour. I have family in Wayne County and so I have been to Seymour a few times. It is indeed a very small town, you'll know everyone in the town by name. People in southern Iowa are on average friendly, and as a pastor and family, I'm sure you'll be welcomed to the community.

I'll second the suggestion for Corydon, it's a nice small town if you wanted something in between the size of Seymour and Centerville. Centerville certainly has the most to offer in southern Iowa in terms of shopping and restaurants. Housing in any of these towns will be very affordable (with many properties under 100k), smaller towns may be slightly cheaper than Centerville.

For small town life, I think southern Iowa is a great place to be. I think you'll enjoy it.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 AM

135 posts, read 408,456 times
Ok, since my presence was expected I suppose I had better participate,, after all you are talking about my hood here.

Since several other posters have done an excellent job of covering the initial posters questions I dont really see much I can add there.
However I can give you a few tips about living safely and happily in the heartland of America that might help should you follow through with a move here.

Now for those tips on living in southern iowa.

#1 Always be on full alert while driving anywhere in Iowa , and especially down here in the southern laplands !
There is a huge infestation of suicidal deer in this area that lurk alongside the states highways and biways ever waiting to strike without warning.
No , you cannot have one , they belong to the DNR and they do not share them with anyone , nor are they responsible for any damage they may cause.

#2 Those very large slow moving objects of various colors but predominately green & yellow you will find blocking the entire roadway from time to time are called "farm equipment".
And yes they can do that.

#3 If you live in the Seymour area you should never ever wear anything blue and white at the same time , also you should be aware that you have a disdain for the town of Moravia and anyone who has the misfortune of living there.
As for us Centervillians we know for a fact that anyone from Albia is a lowlife inbred scumsucker and for the forseeable future Pella is a word that is forbidden to be spoken or written in this area.

#4 Those people wearing camo and carrying guns or bows and arrows are not some radical militia up to no good they are our heroes trying to eradicate some of the DNR's suicidal deer herd.

#5 Saying Merry Christmas is not considered offensive in this area and in fact is considered an expression of good will.

#6 When coming to a four way stop pay attention to who has the right of way !
Waving someone to go or attempting to go out of turn is offensive and heavily frowned upon.
If you should happen to find yourself in such a situation and are confused simply remember anyone in a white Jeep grand Cherokee or riding a big black motorcycle always gets to go first.

#7 The soft drinks sold in this area are called "POP" not soda , the containers they are sold in are called pop cans or bottles , soda is a nasty tasting liquid not recommended for consumption.

#8 The sport reffered to as "golf" in other areas is known as "Pasture Pool" here in southern Iowa.

#9 This may come as a shock to some who read this,,, but there are a lot of people in this area who do not believe that the current dweller of the oval office is any sort of "messiah",, in fact they are quite convinced he is exactly the opposite and are quite vocal about this belief , yours truly being one of them.

#10 The people of this area know that we live in the greatest nation God has ever allowed to exist and we are quite proud of being Citizens of the U.S.A.
Those who feel otherwise do so at peril in southern Iowa.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:37 AM

28 posts, read 107,443 times
Humorous Merc, and not far off. My mom just had a run-in with a suicidal deer near Corydon. My dad does his part to eradicate them.....but there are plenty of Old-School Democrats in So Iowa too for the record.

P.S. MANY other towns consider Seymour to be full of "lowlife inbred scumsuckers"....we called them "Seymour sewer rats" growing up.I'm sure other towns had similar sentiments about my school. Its a stupid small town thing, but it sure adds to the rivalry!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:00 PM

Thank you all so much for the helpful information! And Mercuiserdr...well, you were helpful too

*We are currently in Northern Michigan and WELL acquainted with suicidal deer! (Funny, the DNR take ours, too.)

*Plenty of John Deere on the roads here, as well.

*Blue & white+Moravia+Albia+Pella=FORBIDDEN!!!...duly noted.

*Our freezer is full of suicidal deer shot by men in camo (hubby &dad)

*We promise to say Merry Christmas

*Does Mercruiserdr own a white Jeep Grand Cherokee or a big black motorcycle, by chance?

*Pop is my favorite drink

*We don't golf (on a golf course OR in a pasture)

*We also do not believe that "he" is the messiah and are also quite vocal in our opinions.

*And we love the USA!!!

So does that mean were in??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa