Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2023, 02:59 PM

690 posts, read 641,574 times

Advertisements

I'm reflecting on the OP's question.

OP,

You brought this up for a reason, I assume because of how your being transgendered will come across. As a teacher, there are at least two aspects to the job. First, you would be hired to perform the duties of a teacher as defined by the school district and follow whatever regulations apply. The second aspect is relational. You will be relating to students, their parents, and your colleagues and you will have to be comfortable dealing with these relationships.

In terms of your colleagues, that's usually governed by workplace codes. If your colleagues make fun of you for being transgendered, that may open up the district to penalties if they don't address the problem. In terms of students and their parents, there's a different dynamic present. Kids can unfortunately be cruel, even to cis-gendered staff. A male teacher who acts effeminate, a female teacher who acts more masculine, or a trans person who may reflect traits of their previous gender could become the object of jokes. I'm not endorsing the behavior. I'm saying that it does happen. In terms of the parents of the students, parents expect their children to learn what they need to learn but may push back in areas where they don't see alignment with the values they expect their children to learn - both with regard to subject matter as well as behavioral modeling. Teachers are strong models for children. If you're trans, and the students or parents push back, you will have to deal with it.

Also, you have to look at your own goals. Do you even know for sure that you want to be a teacher or are you just considering it? I would sort that through. If you do want to be a teacher, is there any part of you that is looking to be an advocate for transgenderism (or any sexual orientation) in schools? If so, you will likely encounter some risk.

I'm trying to be neutral but may not be doing well. Overall, though, I believe you have to be ready for some strong views, particularly with younger children. I had gay teachers in high school and nobody cared. Trans is a different matter though and requires more reflection and preparation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2023, 04:40 PM

1,719 posts, read 732,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
I'm reflecting on the OP's question.

OP,

You brought this up for a reason, I assume because of how your being transgendered will come across. As a teacher, there are at least two aspects to the job. First, you would be hired to perform the duties of a teacher as defined by the school district and follow whatever regulations apply. The second aspect is relational. You will be relating to students, their parents, and your colleagues and you will have to be comfortable dealing with these relationships.

In terms of your colleagues, that's usually governed by workplace codes. If your colleagues make fun of you for being transgendered, that may open up the district to penalties if they don't address the problem. In terms of students and their parents, there's a different dynamic present. Kids can unfortunately be cruel, even to cis-gendered staff. A male teacher who acts effeminate, a female teacher who acts more masculine, or a trans person who may reflect traits of their previous gender could become the object of jokes. I'm not endorsing the behavior. I'm saying that it does happen. In terms of the parents of the students, parents expect their children to learn what they need to learn but may push back in areas where they don't see alignment with the values they expect their children to learn - both with regard to subject matter as well as behavioral modeling. Teachers are strong models for children. If you're trans, and the students or parents push back, you will have to deal with it.

Also, you have to look at your own goals. Do you even know for sure that you want to be a teacher or are you just considering it? I would sort that through. If you do want to be a teacher, is there any part of you that is looking to be an advocate for transgenderism (or any sexual orientation) in schools? If so, you will likely encounter some risk.

I'm trying to be neutral but may not be doing well. Overall, though, I believe you have to be ready for some strong views, particularly with younger children. I had gay teachers in high school and nobody cared. Trans is a different matter though and requires more reflection and preparation.
Excellent post. Thank you for writing it. I hope you don't get blasted for your last two paragraphs, which may upset some people.

Old 02-25-2023, 06:37 PM

253 posts, read 123,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Excellent post. Thank you for writing it. I hope you don't get blasted for your last two paragraphs, which may upset some people.
Why should anyone blast the last 2 paragraphs from urbancuriosity? The entire comment was genuinely caring and supportive, and devoid of judgement or demeaning caricature of transgender people. (in contrast to you)

Old 02-25-2023, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Why should anyone blast the last 2 paragraphs from urbancuriosity? The entire comment was genuinely caring and supportive, and devoid of judgement or demeaning caricature of transgender people. (in contrast to you)
Why? Because some might accuse UrbanC of transphobia in his last two paragraphs. I don't think he/she is, but some will get upset with him.

Did you happen to notice I praised UrbanC for his post and thanked him?

Old 02-25-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post

You think UrbanC won't get blasted for these astute observations, CBOT?

I admired and thanked UrbanC for his post, and you decided to take offense.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
You think UrbanC won't get blasted for these astute observations, CBOT?

I admired and thanked UrbanC for his post, and you decided to take offense.
No, I don't think urbancuriosity will get "blasted" for that post because it was kind, caring, devoid of transphobia and only advised the OP to think carefully before this possible pursuit - and NOT that trans people are not welcome to consider a vocation in education, but that the headwinds sent by some people in Iowa (exhibited in some of these responses) may be significant.

As it pertains to Iowa, how is it that you've stumbled onto this topic all the way from central Texas?

Old 02-26-2023, 10:41 AM

20 posts, read 20,040 times
I hate the antichrist

Old 02-26-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
No, I don't think urbancuriosity will get "blasted" for that post because it was kind, caring, devoid of transphobia and only advised the OP to think carefully before this possible pursuit - and NOT that trans people are not welcome to consider a vocation in education, but that the headwinds sent by some people in Iowa (exhibited in some of these responses) may be significant.

As it pertains to Iowa, how is it that you've stumbled onto this topic all the way from central Texas?
I didn't say entire post, I said the bolded words in the last two paragraphs. Why are you offended I defended the poster and hoped he/she wouldn't get blasted?

I scroll through CD to see posts. How do you do it?

Old 02-26-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I didn't say entire post, I said the bolded words in the last two paragraphs. Why are you offended I defended the poster and hoped he/she wouldn't get blasted?

I scroll through CD to see posts. How do you do it?
I don't know why you insist I am offended over your support of the eloquent and caring post by urbancuriosity. I honestly don't know why anyone, if applying rational thought, would "blast" (as you like to put it) the final 2 paragraphs. They are not demeaning in any way. They don't discourage, but rather advise treading carefully and open-eyed, if at all. That is more enlightened than the beer tavern fluency (or is it flatulence) that some use.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:16 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,820,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I'm sorry they know exactly what they are saying and they are not ignorant.

I hate to break it to you but it's not possible to argue that transgender is a real thing. People might go along with it out of courtesy but it doesn't make it real.

Transgenderism doesn't exist anymore than furries do.
People can go along with it and tolerate it out of kindness, respect, courtesy, pity, or fear of being ganged up on by the woke mob but none of that makes it real.
Gender feelings are privately held mental states which are neither provable or deniable.
I, along with almost every other woman I know, have no such feelings but we all ARE women.
The current state of affairs is akin to a required participation in a shared immersed fantasy.
But I call it more appropriately a mass psychotic delusion.

But WHAT exactly IS a 'transgender'?

Mr. Phil Illy has written a book to be called "Autoheterosexual: Attracted to Being the Other Sex".
He describes himself as a "Autohet transvestite. Raising awareness of autoheterosexuality and implementing the two-type transgender model."
He estimates that 2/3 of Trans Identified Males, (TIMs) are straight like himself and the other 1/3 are homosexual. As a man who considered 'transing' to female but being 6'4" felt it was a bridge too far, he describes the condition as a sexual attraction to *being* the other sex.
And it never goes away.

When published it'll shake the foundation of Trans Ideology.
The TRAs will certainly be outraged so he is prepared for a vicious, hate-filled response.
I can't wait.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 02-26-2023 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa