Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:08 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times

Advertisements

A thorough education from a well respected institution should give one an historical perspective and the ability to understand current events in a larger context. Some autodidacts also achieve the same level of understanding. Sadly, not all people who attend or even graduate from institutions of higher learning have achieved the ability to understand and evaluate current information in the context of history and the wider world.

Extremists on both ends of the spectrum do tend to be those who have no understanding of how to evaluate information. They have minimal knowledge of geography and have little understanding of either world or American history.

I would agree that most extremists are poorly educated.

The current version of the Republican party is dominated by extremists.

As someone who was once a public library director in Iowa, my opinion is that many people are poorly educated. This is true in most states, however, not just Iowa.

Here's a lovely quote from H.L. Mencken for everyone to enjoy:

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." (The Baltimore Evening Sun. July 26, 1920.)

Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM

638 posts, read 974,520 times
From what I understand, there's not really a lot of freedom of speech on college campuses nowadays. That, along with the fact that most college professors seem to be rabidly liberal, probably explains why so many "educated" young people end up voting democrat. I don't think it has anything to do with this trendy notion that Liberal=open-minded and forward-thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVyPjQki_3M&t=194s

Old 11-08-2017, 07:55 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
What you fail to understand is that education doesn't make one smarter. It just means they went to some kind of supposed learning institution longer, which, imo, makes them dumber. Seriously, some of the damned dumbest people I've known have the most letters after their name. All that learning kills common sense.

Good, old-fashioned common sense is what separates the smart from the stupid. And smart people vote for what's real instead of what they imagine.
All that proves is that you know a lot of really dumb people. It's ridiculous to use that as the basis for an argument that going out of your way to avoid learning new things somehow makes people smarter. This bizarre delusion that willful, intentional ignorance is some sort of badge of honor is one of the gravest perils to our society at the present time.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:47 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
All that proves is that you know a lot of really dumb people. It's ridiculous to use that as the basis for an argument that going out of your way to avoid learning new things somehow makes people smarter. This bizarre delusion that willful, intentional ignorance is some sort of badge of honor is one of the gravest perils to our society at the present time.
BellaMia was spot on and, if anything, too generous to what "higher" education has deteriorated to today in the US.

Real education having been laid waste by the political fringe left, your "learning new things" is, in reality, the emptying of the mind of all sensibilities. Your "learning new things" is the wilful and intentional replacement of clearheaded reason with delusion. It is, without doubt, THE gravest peril to our society for the foreseeable future.

Yes, the smartest people among us today are those who have successfully shunned what you would have us "learn".

Old 11-09-2017, 06:32 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,613,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes, the smartest people among us today are those who have successfully shunned what you would have us "learn".
Plus they studied engineering or medicine and mostly avoided that crap in the first place.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:43 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
"Educated" and "smart" aren't necessarily the same thing.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
BellaMia was spot on and, if anything, too generous to what "higher" education has deteriorated to today in the US.

Real education having been laid waste by the political fringe left, your "learning new things" is, in reality, the emptying of the mind of all sensibilities. Your "learning new things" is the wilful and intentional replacement of clearheaded reason with delusion. It is, without doubt, THE gravest peril to our society for the foreseeable future.

Congratulations; I think that post beats out Bella's for the City Data Dunning Kruger Award for the month of November!

No, I'm sorry - her post was not "spot on." It was nonsense. You seriously believe that simply going to college somehow "empties the mind"? Like some zombie movie? Listen, if you know some stupid people who went to college, that doesn't mean college made them stupid - they just started out so stupid that college didn't make them any smarter. World's full of people like that; half the kids in college today have no business being there to begin wth because they're too stupid to benefit from it.

I just shake my head at what a disgraceful state this country has come to, where grown adults are actually proud to be uneducated, and look down on people who are because they're not smart enough to understand what education really is. A mind truly is a terrible thing to waste, but what's even more terrible is taking pride in being ignorant.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:06 AM

215 posts, read 283,465 times
Having worked in an engineering field, then coming to a University in Iowa (big pay cut) to serve the 'greater good' here's what I've found. 80% or more of the students in college are just doing more high school. They're here because they have nowhere else to go, their family expects it, future employers demand it and it's become an industry that actively recruits peoples' dollars. Trade schools, junior colleges, and vocational training (Apprentice, journeyman) would be far better for them, make them happier and more productive, and cost far less. But this is the flawed system we have in the U.S. Many countries require students to test into University, a far better plan.

My issue is with the cuts to K-12 where no one has a choice or voice in the matter. In Iowa, theose funds went to underwrite a tax cut for business, which hasn't worked out so well for Kansas, either.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:06 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Congratulations; I think that post beats out Bella's for the City Data Dunning Kruger Award for the month of November!

No, I'm sorry - her post was not "spot on." It was nonsense. You seriously believe that simply going to college somehow "empties the mind"? Like some zombie movie? Listen, if you know some stupid people who went to college, that doesn't mean college made them stupid - they just started out so stupid that college didn't make them any smarter. World's full of people like that; half the kids in college today have no business being there to begin wth because they're too stupid to benefit from it.

I just shake my head at what a disgraceful state this country has come to, where grown adults are actually proud to be uneducated, and look down on people who are because they're not smart enough to understand what education really is. A mind truly is a terrible thing to waste, but what's even more terrible is taking pride in being ignorant.
^^ Fascinating. The left looks in the mirror.

Neither Bella nor I would know or care where to begin. Have a nice day.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:19 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
As states get dumber, they become more pro-Trump. Shocking.

In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa