Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 01:01 PM

9,064 posts, read 4,754,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
There are people reading this thread (either lurkers or members) who will readily roll their eyes at such an assertion. The B word does bring a lot of baggage into the statement, but it's not an incorrect assessment.

Allow me to quote somebody who has been through the industry.
Emphasis mine. Accusations of being a paranoid conspiracy nut schizophrenic anti-this anti-that freak roll right off my back. I've heard it all, trust me . Yes, I go to great lengths to exclude advertisers from my life, among other things. I have sound rationale for this. If you, generalized readers and lurkers, had experienced the same things or encountered the same information I have, you probably would too.
I tend to agree with most of what you said, but really, I think you are overselling your product.

That product being "advertising is brainwashing."

There have been (a very few) products that I wasn't aware of, except for advertising, but I will agree that 90+ percent of advertising is overselling products that are not really needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 03:23 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,773,977 times
I will say that I'm getting a bit tired of the "this one hack for vision/hearing/dementia" etc with people whacking on spoons on their eyes/ears/ what have you with the obvious robot voices.

Do they REALLY think people are so stupid they can't see right through this?

Old 12-12-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The problem is the limitless advertising and click bait that saturates what would otherwise be an enjoyable experience.

Any alternative needs to have set rules for what is allowed, and how much is allowed.
Quote:
The site carrying it could have limited advertising, as I mentioned above, be there is (eventually) going to have to be some "rules" to limit the intrusiveness and click bait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I will say that I'm getting a bit tired of the "this one hack for vision/hearing/dementia" etc with people whacking on spoons on their eyes/ears/ what have you with the obvious robot voices.

Do they REALLY think people are so stupid they can't see right through this?
Yes, that is why I mention "rules" and the removal of "click bait."
(I include scams under "click bait" although they might even be worse.)

Old 12-13-2023, 05:10 AM

19,769 posts, read 20,349,221 times
Yeah, youtube went full Nazi-mode on one of the computers in the house w/ Adblock. lol

I fought pretty hard w/ that computer for a minute, lol. I don't know why/how, but it is thankfully allowing adbblock again.

Ads are not for me, thanks.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:04 AM

15,495 posts, read 9,183,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Yeah, youtube went full Nazi-mode on one of the computers in the house w/ Adblock. lol

I fought pretty hard w/ that computer for a minute, lol. I don't know why/how, but it is thankfully allowing adbblock again.

Ads are not for me, thanks.
With "Ad Blockers are not allowed on Youtube bypass" installed on my computers, YouTube is running like normal. Sometimes I might see a popup for a second or two, before it gets zapped, but that's it.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:37 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,088,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
That's hilarious. I wouldn't have even noticed if not for all the outcry over the last couple months from normies as Google rolled this out.

Google has become such a problem in my privacy concerns, I've switched to Duck and VPN's.
Everywhere I turned online, there they were with cookies this and that; it was a constant cat and mouse game.
The internet was a MUCH better place 15 years ago.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Google has become such a problem in my privacy concerns, I've switched to Duck and VPN's.
Everywhere I turned online, there they were with cookies this and that; it was a constant cat and mouse game.
The internet was a MUCH better place 15 years ago.
It isn't just the user end that gets frustrating.

The Big Tech, Big Finance, and Big Politics world doesn't want competition, but they want to rake in revenues by the billions of dollars. And they are willing to play dirty to keep their share of the action.

Take a look at all the lies and technical heat Parler and Gab took, trying to get off the ground. Currently, SubStack seems to be doing well, but that could change. It was just about the time Parler and Gab got traction that the whole world brought their guns to bear against them with every sort of slander and technical attack under the sun.

Substack doing well:
https://backlinko.com/substack-users

Example of financial attack:
https://news.gab.com/2020/06/gab-blacklisted-by-visa/
(Just to be clear. I support the existence of Gab, as an element of free speech. I don't support their religious or political ideology, but that isn't the issue here. Their right to exist, as competition with YouTube and Facebook, and their economic model, is the issue.)

Last edited by TRex2; 12-17-2023 at 08:17 AM..

Old 12-17-2023, 10:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,223,898 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, it is my position that a certain amount of advertising is a good thing.
Not on this planet.

Seriously, I don't know how people without ad blockers accomplish anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I don't use Youtube much, but I certainly have Adblock Plus in action when I go there. News stories are saying that Youtube won't allow this any more, but there is a claim by a European privacy advocate that Youtube's countermeasures would be illegal under European law, because it's equivalent to installing software on the user's system without permission. Youtube (naturally) denies this. I wonder if there's a fight coming along, and who'll win.
I wonder when people will realize the US has a Free Market Economic System employing Capitalist Property Theory.

You can start your own video site any time you want.

How do you pay for the equipment to run it?

When people come to your site they can opt for the monetized part where people's channel's have advertising or the non-monetized part where there is none and you take a cut of the advertising revenue.

You can charge people $9.99/year to go ad-free on either part of your site.

Or you could charge per based on the number of videos. They can post 100 videos for free. At 101 videos they pay $10/year and 201 videos $20/year.

You'd put Useless Tube out of business. In fact, I think I might look into that.

Old 04-20-2024, 07:08 PM

15,495 posts, read 9,183,450 times
Okay so YouTube has finally managed to break through my defense on my MacBook Pro which I have my YouTube account on. Recently I was using Pop Up Blocker For Chrome to block everything YouTube threw at me. The results were pretty good. The only unusual thing was that the videos would load with a black screen. Then I would have to click on the black screen and the video would play normally ad free. No problem, just one extra click.

Everything was good until about a week or 10 days ago. At first a few ads got though. I would quickly reload the page and the ads would be gone. But the numbers of ads getting through steadily increased and reloading the page wasn't making them go away.

A couple of days ago I started experimenting with different ad blockers, but none of them had any effect whatsoever. They were all completely worthless. Then I installed Ghostery Tracker Ad Blocker - Privacy AdBlock. Problem solved. YouTube was 100% ad free again. But unfortunately today I started getting the dreaded “Video player will be blocked after 3 videos" popup.

Now I'm still having no problem watching YouTube Ad-free on my desktop. First on my desktop I am never logged into anything including Google, so I think that helps. I also use the Brave Browser to watch YouTube. Brave automatically keeps YouTube ad-free and the videos play faster and better than in any other browser.

Unfortunately my MacBook Pro is still running MacOS High Sierra, which doesn't have much support anymore. I have tried everything possible but I can't install Brave on it. I have found some old versions that are supposed to be compatible with my system, but I have had no luck installing any of them.

Does anybody have any new solutions for Blocking ads on YouTube. I'm open to any ideas right now. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-20-2024, 07:15 PM

8,365 posts, read 13,514,649 times
You are on MacOS which still uses 95+% Safari engine and whatever browser you installed acts as a UI wrapper to it so not much you can do on that front. Plus, you are using a dated version of the OS to boot.

Can you upgrade your OS or is it not supported by the machine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet