Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 10:21 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,774 times

Advertisements

I don't use Youtube much, but I certainly have Adblock Plus in action when I go there. News stories are saying that Youtube won't allow this any more, but there is a claim by a European privacy advocate that Youtube's countermeasures would be illegal under European law, because it's equivalent to installing software on the user's system without permission. Youtube (naturally) denies this. I wonder if there's a fight coming along, and who'll win.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/7/2...y-advocates-eu

I'd have thought that if they're open about what they do, nobody could make a case in court. They could present a message something like "This service prohibits ad blockers, and by using Youtube you consent to allow the installation and use of ad block detection software". And then you have to click on "I agree". But maybe there's still a viable case someone could make, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 12:02 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
I actually applaud YouTube for this. These ad blocker greatly negatively affects their business model. Dont want ads? Go YouTube Premium. I've done it and absolutely LOVE it. Ad blockers are basically "cheat codes" and should be banned.

Old 11-07-2023, 12:56 PM

1,097 posts, read 642,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I'd have thought that if they're open about what they do, nobody could make a case in court. They could present a message something like "This service prohibits ad blockers, and by using Youtube you consent to allow the installation and use of ad block detection software". And then you have to click on "I agree". But maybe there's still a viable case someone could make, I don't know.
Exactly. I don't understand the problem either. If the user is presented a message and then consents, where is the problem?

Old 11-07-2023, 01:19 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Ads in YT never bothered me. I'm not a big watcher though. If I was, like Gambit, I'd pay.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:21 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
I've been enjoying YouTube for years without ads thanks to adblocker. About three weeks ago I started getting a message saying adblockers are against the terms of service. I disabled the adblocker and now about 80% of the videos have an ad in them.

I am not going to sign up for premium; I will likely reduce my use of Youtube and suffer with the ads.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:45 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,011,022 times
After the message appears just renew the page.No ads for me

Old 11-10-2023, 08:12 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,774 times
I've started seeing it:
Attached Thumbnails
Youtube attempt to lock out ad blockers-yt.jpg  

Old 11-11-2023, 11:29 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
More annoying to me are some of the news sites that if you start one of their videos, but then switch to another screen (for example during the ads), their video feed freezes till you go back to watch their ad.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:57 PM

666 posts, read 422,883 times
That's hilarious. I wouldn't have even noticed if not for all the outcry over the last couple months from normies as Google rolled this out.

Using vanilla youtube is just asking for trouble. At least put it through a sanitizer or something. I don't get people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
More annoying to me are some of the news sites that if you start one of their videos, but then switch to another screen (for example during the ads), their video feed freezes till you go back to watch their ad.
The folly of allowing js web players.

Old 11-17-2023, 03:09 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I actually applaud YouTube for this. These ad blocker greatly negatively affects their business model. Dont want ads? Go YouTube Premium. I've done it and absolutely LOVE it. Ad blockers are basically "cheat codes" and should be banned.

Censorship negatively affects their business model, too. Hence, the success of their competition, Rumble, growing by leaps and bounds as people discover it.

I use Firefox but still see ads on Youtube. I watch the countdown in the lower right corner and as soon as SKIP appears, I click it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet