Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:18 PM
FLD FLD started this thread

21 posts, read 170,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arossi View Post
Hello, sorry for the delay in my reply I have been away from my computer...

Flipping, in general terms, is buying a rehab or fixer-upper property, rehabbing the property and then selling it for a profit (hopefully) in a relatively short period of time.
Thanks very much for your reply!!!

Ha...ha...ha, I know what you mean now. In Australia, there are those who buy houses in a very bad condition, refurbish and sell them at like 300%-400% more. Seems like this is called "flipping" in the US, but down here I have not heard of a general term for them.

For our case, the house would be for our residence and won't be sold until we have to move to another city.

Quote:
Even if you don't have children, it's good to know about the schools when considering buying (and someday maybe selling) a home. Parkside and Rockcreek are both 4 star schools. The Indiana Four Star Awards recognize schools that have demonstrated academic excellence in the past year. Rockcreek serves a more rural area. The Parkside school district has quite a range in housing prices and types of homes. Southside is also a good school. I don't know much about the other elementary schools. Check out greatschools.net it has a lot of useful information about all the Bartholomew County schools.
Yes, it's good to know though. I am not sure that if the US schooling system is much different to its Australian counterpart. AFAIK, public schools are assigned their own zones (districts?). This means only the children of the residents in that zone can enroll in the school. And this is why in Melbourne, Australia, houses in the zone where there are a good public(s) schools are so expensive.

On the other hand, for private schools, anyone who can pay can enroll. So, it is not uncommon to see a parent on the road driving from an outer suburb, like 20 miles away, to drop off their kid at a private school in the CBD (Central Business District = downtown).

Quote:
I'm glad you liked Columbus, it is a nice town. There seems to be quite a few of us, on this board, that are heading that way! Good Luck!
Yes, I loved the town at the first sight. I loved it even more when hearing that there are deers in the park near to my work place (as told by the manager who was part of my interview) and when seeing squirrels running around.

He..he..he, one of my favorite hobbies is feeding squirrels.

Most likely, when I am in Columbus, I 'll have more to share and more to ask.

Thanks very much, and I'll keep you guys updated.

Regards,
fld.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Banks and car dealers know that they have to beat the competition. Basically, shop around! And play each off the other. But, for the most part, any dealings I've had in the Indy area and in Columbus, people are all very nice. Let your good sense be your guide.
Hopefully, it'll be just like to what just told me.

What I may also like to know is their "aftersale" service. In my experience involving new and 2nd hand cars in Wichita, KS, and Melbourne, AU, to my surprise, big car dealers give better deal and treat their customers much more professionally and respectfully. Usually, people would be scared off when they think about big car dealers, right? However, circumstances may be different in Columbus, I don't know and that was why I asked.

Thanks very much and hope to see you guys in Columbus soon.

Regards,
fld.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 AM

Thanks a lot. BTW, the URL address you provided does not work.

Basically, we plan to rent, if possible, a house in a good safe area in the first 6-12 months, then buy a house.

If a house is not possible, then a 2-bedroom 2-bathroom apartment would be fine.

Regards,
fld.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:02 PM

239 posts, read 700,291 times
Default Schools

Hi, there. I just wanted to add that my son attends Clifty Creek Elementary and we have been very pleased with it. I wanted to say that because it doesn't score very well on greatschools.net, but we have been very pleased. From what I understand, it is a magnet school for the ESL students (English as a second language) and as a result is very diverse, which we find to be desireable. I would not hesitate in recommending it based on our experience and that of friends whose children are older and have been going there for awhile. Good luck on your move!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,687 times
Hi Fld we just moved here from Melbourne, Australia and bought a house in Tipton Lakes, it is lovely. People here seem to be very friendly and property here wont be as good an investment as melbourne, but it will be a lot more affordable.

Hope this helps, get Setanta Sports on DirecTV if you want to follow the afl.

Cheers.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:27 PM

645 posts, read 1,542,947 times
Another Tipton Lakes inhabitant here!

We wanted an established wooded lot (which is so hard to find) in a very safe, quiet area with good schools, and found it at Tipton Lakes. Nice diversity of folks here, and my daughter likes her school which is of good quality.

I really enjoy the change of seasons and wide variety of wildlife diversity where I live, and took all of the following pictures from my back yard:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Abucaster/2bc82c78.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Abucaster/d5282e45.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Abucaster/2f13ee90.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Abucaster/5ffdd458.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Abucaster/95b75a09.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Abucaster/92333505.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Abucaster/7c5cc187.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Abucaster/89be7cc0.jpg (broken link)

Yep, amazing diversity of people and animals so close to town/Indy makes it a nice place to be.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 PM

12 posts, read 82,071 times
oh wow... jay f, those are some very impressive pictures... I will be moving to Columbus pretty soon too. Is there any decent rental apartments/housings that's suitable for a new college grad? Preferably quiet with nice neighbors.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
I have to say that being here for a little over a month now has been great. My neighborhood is on the opposite end of town from JF's called Forest Park ... Park Forest, I can't get it straight. In any event, I could see the town's fireworks from my front yard, which was cool. I haven't taken any pictures yet .... still unpacking. Love the architecture, I had to learn all the buildings when I was in college, so now I can actually see what I had to learn all those years ago in my art class. Plenty of parks and the people trail is close to my house ... I don't know, I don't want to like TOO much, but so far, it's hard not to.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 PM

645 posts, read 1,542,947 times
Panjang,

Thank you, and I'm glad you liked them.

There is an apartment complex located within Tipton Lakes called "Eastlake Woods" that might be worth a look. It is located in a nicely wooded area, and seems quiet and peaceful. As a benefit, I believe you get to enjoy all of the other "amenities" as any other Tipton Lakes member such as the Lake, tennis courts, walking/hiking trails, etc...

Here is a link describing the property:

EastLake Woods (broken link)

Good luck, and I hope you find living in Columbus a great experience.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:17 AM

12 posts, read 82,071 times
jay f, I've looked at a few sites regarding Eastlake Woods and although it looked very nice, there are quite a few bad reviews about it. Do you know if there's any other apartments near/around tipton lakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana