Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,978 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that the date alignments for these posts are mixed up? Some say 2/08 then 9/08 and then 5/08. Is it my computer or is it this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:27 PM

43 posts, read 104,246 times
Wow thats weird I raised my two boys there, I sure am glad they didnt get in that mess. Im so glad you got your life turned around. To many young men out there dying for nothing.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,196 times
TH is a terrible place to live. There ARE meth labs and prostitution houses in practically every block. I know from experience just a few blocks from ISU on N. 6th, 7th, and Locust street areas is absolutely terrible. People will steal you blind - steal absolutely ANYTHING from you and think they have the right to do so! Seriously. They are also extremely jealous if you have a nicer car, house, looks, anything - and will do whatever they can to steal your stuff. If they can't steal it, they try to destroy it. It's very sad state of affairs. And the local government is very corrupt and the whole system is behind most other cities in the country. I have lived in the deep south, New Orleans, San Antonio and other places and for a small-ish city as this, the criminal activity believe it or not is MUCH MUCH worse. It's also depressing and it's very hard to meet decent new people unless you're a member of a university or maybe a church. It is very gritty and harsh here, which really surprised me, since I am used to big cities and thought this would be much different. Caution: don't come here unless you just have to. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and will be leaving myself within a year.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,906 times
sounds like preston....and u wer in my car right after u wer cut? hit me back if u get this...been gone for long time

Old 10-20-2009, 12:21 AM

4 posts, read 20,286 times
Default What's up Girl?

Its a crazy small world. Good to hear from you.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 AM

25 posts, read 86,037 times
Quote:
There ARE meth labs and prostitution houses in practically every block. I know from experience just a few blocks from ISU on N. 6th, 7th, and Locust street areas is absolutely terrible.
Judging the entire city by it's ghetto really isn't fair. I used to live in Terre Haute and while it has a LOT of problems (there are reasons I moved), it still isn't nearly as bad as some cities (DC; Detroit; Saginaw, Michigan; etc) that I've lived in. As for whorehouses on every block....hyperbole isn't going to help much. That said, it's still not a great city and it's heyday is certainly well in the past.

The city is dying and the city council seems hellbent on maintaining the same course they've had for years. They have looked down their nose at the fact the city is a college town and have caused a lot of the students to hate the city. They missed out of the opportunity to revitalize downtown by cashing in on the presence of the students from ISU, Rose Hulman and St. Mary of the Woods. Instead these kids and their cash go to Bloomington and Indy on the weekends leaving the city to fester like an open wound. The only hope for renewal is once the generation currently in power dies and some new blood is put into positions of authority but I don't see major improvements really happening any time soon.

As someone else said, if you want to live in western Indiana, the places to look are Farmersburg, Rosedale, and Greencastle. If I were going to stay in Indiana at all, I would be looking to live in the country outside of Greencastle. My family still lives in the Rosedale area (which is where I grew up) so if anyone has any questions about it, please feel free to send me a private message and I'll answer them or direct you to someone who can.

Quote:
but Indiana State does attract a fair number of international students.
Only because that is how the University keep enrollment from falling- by bumping the numbers up with more and more exchange students as American students tend to either not enroll to begin with or transfer after a semester or two. I would not say any university with an effectively open door admission policy in a bad location can really claim to "attract" anyone. I was a student there and the treatment of the students was horrible by the administration and the faculty was bottom rung in comparison to any other place I've ever attended or worked at. By the way, foreign students will frequently attend wherever gives them a spot regardless of reputation. A lot of my friends and colleagues are exchange students and they will freely admit this when they discuss their undergraduate experiences.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,881 times
you go dude defend terre haute i love terre haute

Old 06-18-2010, 09:17 AM

438 posts, read 1,360,456 times
Greencastle has the same problems as terre haute except the lingering scent. Stagnant city and county councils elected mostly on the good old boy vote that refuse to do anything positive for the city. DPU can get whatever it wants but they go out of their way to make life difficult or create pointless laws for the rest of us. Seriously, in the last year or the fall prior, they created a law outlawing outdoor heat sources such as corn or oil burners and passed a use variance allowing DPU to close several local streets for a university function. The U knows how the land lies as well, the council even stated that the U 'provided a self addressed stamped envelope for us to mail our approval back in' :eyeroll: We also have a meth problem. Not as severe as TH's obviously mostly because of the population difference. The skate park at our park is pretty much a drive-thru pharmacy if you know the right people.

The difference, from what I can tell, is that TH is actually attracting and keeping new businesses and growing the population in positive ways {not to mention the smell is almost gone, at least on the days I'm in town I barely smell it outside the Fairbanks Park area} and TH doesn't cater nearly as much to ISU and Ivy Tech as G/C does to DPU & Ivy Tech. The streets here in G/C may be safer than some of the streets in Terre Haute, but that's about the only positive that I can think of.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 20,286 times
aint heard from you in years, what's up?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,518 times
May I ask why you just don't move away from here? All of the people here are not what you describe. There are problems everywhere which include drugs, drugs, and more drugs!! As for the smell, it is the sewage department which should be moved. I am just not understanding why you just don't move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana