Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 08:06 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times

Advertisements

I was the Indiana mod for a few years ... I honestly don't know why I stopped, life, I guess. I recently returned to the forum as strictly a poster/contributor.

Boy did we have some great chats about Indiana. As a boomerang Hoosier, it was fun to see lively debate, good, bad and ugly.

I hope we can get this going again.

not sure if there are any of my old pals here ..

How about Northwestern beating Purdue the other night ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 08:51 AM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
Are you still in Columbus? Welcome back!

Old 12-03-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Are you still in Columbus? Welcome back!
still here.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:21 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I was the Indiana mod for a few years ... I honestly don't know why I stopped, life, I guess. I recently returned to the forum as strictly a poster/contributor.

Boy did we have some great chats about Indiana. As a boomerang Hoosier, it was fun to see lively debate, good, bad and ugly.

I hope we can get this going again.

not sure if there are any of my old pals here ..

How about Northwestern beating Purdue the other night ...
Welcome back! I am a boomerang Hoosier, too. I grew up in Lafayette, moved to south Florida for my career and 43 years later, I am back in Lafayette.

I got tired of the endless heat, hurricanes, expensive homeowners and auto insurance, rude people and horrible, horrible drivers in south Florida. Indiana seems so calm and peaceful. This is my seventh winter back in Indiana and this dreary, cloudy cold weather is getting to me a bit. The days seem to be dragging by slowly.

Yep, Northwestern beat Purdue, AGAIN!! No reason to storm the court, though. Geez!

Old 12-05-2023, 05:15 AM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Welcome back! I am a boomerang Hoosier, too. I grew up in Lafayette, moved to south Florida for my career and 43 years later, I am back in Lafayette.

I got tired of the endless heat, hurricanes, expensive homeowners and auto insurance, rude people and horrible, horrible drivers in south Florida. Indiana seems so calm and peaceful. This is my seventh winter back in Indiana and this dreary, cloudy cold weather is getting to me a bit. The days seem to be dragging by slowly.

Yep, Northwestern beat Purdue, AGAIN!! No reason to storm the court, though. Geez!

I spent 10 years in Venice Florida and my GF spent 20 there. We left in March this year for many of the same reasons you did. I'm a native Hoosier but GF is from upstate NY and neither of us mind winter except for snow and ice. Before deciding on Bloomington Indiana we visited Sevier County and Johnson County in Tennessee, Asheville NC and northern Kentucky (Cincinnati area) but we chose Bloomington because we felt it was easier to get around as we grow older. It was also more affordable and walkable than the other places we visited. I also have family in the Indy area. I wasn't worried that I would like it here but I didn't know if my GF would. So far she loves it here so I'm relieved about that. She grew up in NYC but went to college in the Hudson Valley and spent most of her adult life there before moving to Florida. She hated the heat in Florida but her sisters both live there so she stayed there until she met me 7 years ago. We had a nice home and friends in Venice but that wasn't enough to keep us there. We lived 3 miles from the Gulf and had 2 hurricanes (Irma and Ian] within 5 years and after Ian we decided to call it quits. The thing I like being retired here is that we can go shopping in the daytime without being elbow to elbow with other senior citizens. Too many senior citizens per square mile in Sarasota County Florida for this old goat.

Old 12-06-2023, 12:14 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I think hurricanes probably run alot of people out of Florida, just like earthquakes run alot of people out of California. I have an ex wife who left Ft Meyers for probably the same hurricanes you did. I have a cousin who left LA back in the 80's or 90's after about 3 earthquakes in 10 years or so. The threat of tornadoes doesn't seem to scare most people the way hurricanes and earthquakes do.

Old 12-06-2023, 03:55 PM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
The problem with Florida hurricanes is that it's now very difficult to get house insurance. The HOA fees went up a lot too. Our homeowners insurance got cancelled several months before Ian hit, though. We were planning to leave Florida anyway so Ian just gave us the push to get moving with that.

My GFs sister and her hubby went 20 years without homeowners insurance on their $550,000 home. We never considered doing that but I've read that many Floridians are considering that due to the extreme high insurance costs. Even though there are tornadoes here in Bloomington our insurance is much less here than it was in Florida. We are definitely better off here. The only thing Florida has going for it is the no state income tax thing but, overall, our cost of living is lower here.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:23 AM

I spend a lot of time in Bloomington. I went to school there in the early 90's. I love it there.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:47 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
While I've been to Indiana many times, I got to tour the state fairly extensively this past summer.

We spent time in Lafayette/West Lafayette, Indianapolis (and Fishers), Bloomington, Vincennes, and Evansville.

Indiana is a very underrated state! I very much enjoyed my time there.

Old 12-25-2023, 07:43 AM

27 posts, read 68,153 times
Welcome back, I have enjoyed reading many of your old posts about Indiana and have enjoyed reading them. I moved from Florida about 2 years ago, due to the high costs of auto, HOA rates, and the heat and humidity . I am Boomerang Hoosier was born here, moved to Florida, and came back. I much enjoy Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana